Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new at this. I just signed up for this site tonight. I wish I did it earlier. I still haven't gone public with my LAP-BAND® procedure. Basically, only my family knows and maybe a handful of others. I'm still not comfortable talking openly about it with others. I'm too insecure. Anyway, I think it will just take some time.

I had my surgery on August 14. I just had my second fill 3 days ago. I've lost about 20 pounds so far:thumbup:. I ate some chicken tonight for dinner and it got stuck and I started frothing a little bit:thumbdown:. I ate small bites and took my time, but I still had a really hard time for a good 20 minutes. But for lunch I had chili and it went down just fine.

I'm pretty nervous that with each fill my tolerance will get worse and worse:unsure:. I was warned ahead of time, but I'm having a hard time dealing with it and I can't live off of chili forever. I'm hoping I will be okay and adjust to this fill quickly.

weight.png

Edited by sammygirl80s

I was banded on August 13th and have also lost 20. This week I go back to the doc and maybe will get my second fill. It has been a roller coaster for me since I gained 5 pounds in the mushie stage. Try to hold for a couple more days to see if it will change. It has been said that it may take sometimes a week to know what will work. You are doing great, it doesn't matter who knows that you had the surgery. In my case I haven't told anyone at work but they are noticing the weightloss. I did this for myself and that is all that matters for you also. We can't worry what someone else will think.

I gained 3 pounds before my first fill. The nurse seemed shocked, but from everything I have read on here, it doesn't seem that uncommon.

I went out to dinner last night and I had a bite size piece of steak get stuck, but not as bad as before. It blew over in about 10 minutes. I've had it last about 20-30 minutes before. It's like just when you think that horrible feeling is gone, it comes right back.

People at work have definitely noticed my weight loss too, but I did end up telling one co-worker, now I wish I didn't, but I don't think she has said anything - HOPEFULLY. But when it comes down to it, if people know about me then whatever. I did it for me not them. You are definitely right about that!

I am just over 6 weeks post surgery and people have noticed the weightloss. Originally, I was not going to tell anyone about the surgery except for my immediate family. I have a large extended family that is very gossipy. People at work also gossip all the time. After much thought I decided that I would be very open and honest about it to everyone. My thought was that if I kept it a secret and acted like I was ashamed of it then people would gossip about it. If I tell everyone about it and my sucesses then they have nothing to gossip about.

When people ask about my weightloss I tell them that I had surgery and have lost almost 45 pounds (including what I had to loose before the surgery to qualify for insurance) I tell them that it was the best thing I did. I share with them that because of the surgery I have been smoke free since February, I quite drinking soda, I am walking 3 to 4 miles a day, I have more energy and I feel great. Seriously, what negative things can they say or think after I tell them all that. :thumbup:

Hi,

I am also new to the site and so thankful that it is here!

I am scheduled to be banded 10/16 in mexico, and I am not telling anyone, other than my mom, husband and my boss.

I feel really fragile right now and I don't need any additional stress.

I hope to keep in contact with folks here and have a successful journey to a thinner me.

good luck with your fill!

heidi

SammyGirl, have you tried papaya enzymes for when meat gets stuck? I read about them on here, but I haven't had a chance to ask my doctor about them (plus I'm still on liquids so I don't get stuck yet!). I read on here that if you get meat stuck (not so much bread though) and you chew a couple of them, it goes away really fast. I found some at GNC and plan on keeping them in my purse all the time!

Sammy, if the meat is dry it is many times more likely to get stuck.

With steak, I order it rare (which means I get around medium rare) and with chicken I don't order it unless there is some sort of a sauce involved like salsa or whatever or unless it's cooked in a style that have broth.

At home, I cook my chicken in a piece of foil with a tablespoon or so of chicken broth, some veggies on top, season the whole thing. Wrap the foil up tight, put the package on a pan and bake at 375 until the chicken is done. You get two things .... all your food is cooked together and you get to throw away the means of cooking. And, yeah, that chicken will be really moist!

Sammy, if the meat is dry it is many times more likely to get stuck.

With steak, I order it rare (which means I get around medium rare) and with chicken I don't order it unless there is some sort of a sauce involved like salsa or whatever or unless it's cooked in a style that have broth.

At home, I cook my chicken in a piece of foil with a tablespoon or so of chicken broth, some veggies on top, season the whole thing. Wrap the foil up tight, put the package on a pan and bake at 375 until the chicken is done. You get two things .... all your food is cooked together and you get to throw away the means of cooking. And, yeah, that chicken will be really moist!

Sounds good, I'm going to try that.

Honestly, if trying to eat steak, I'd stick with Fillet only (lucky us!). It cost more but order rare or med rare and if it's a good fillet, it should melt in your mouth after a 20 or so chews. Sirlon and other cuts just aren't good enough for Bands. When eating any meat, you pretty much have to concentrate on not swallowing too quick. You have to chew it till there is nothing left to chew. You only swallow when you have to from chewing so much. You can't eat quickly either. Small bites, put the fork down and start chewing. Don't pick up the fork for 30 seconds after you swallowed the last bit.

I am confused!!!!!:sad: I am 7 days postop. I have the Realize Band. My doctor advised me not to eat beef or pork for 1 year. I have lost 10 pounds since my surgery. My email has changed. I do not know how to edit my profile yet. My email is jclmcl1986@gmail.com

Sounds good, I'm going to try that.

Honestly, if trying to eat steak, I'd stick with Fillet only (lucky us!). It cost more but order rare or med rare and if it's a good fillet, it should melt in your mouth after a 20 or so chews. Sirlon and other cuts just aren't good enough for Bands. When eating any meat, you pretty much have to concentrate on not swallowing too quick. You have to chew it till there is nothing left to chew. You only swallow when you have to from chewing so much. You can't eat quickly either. Small bites, put the fork down and start chewing. Don't pick up the fork for 30 seconds after you swallowed the last bit.

This is all great info! I am definitely going to get the papaya enzymes! I think its just a matter of getting used to the fills, and I really need to eat slowly and tiny bites, but I feel like I have been chewing really well and taking small bites. Also, its probably a good idea to take it easy for a week after the fill. I mean eating softer foods and avoiding chicken and beef. I've had good luck with chick peas and tofu.

Jenlaws... I know all the Doctors tell you different things. I was back on a regular diet within a month. I think that chicken might be worse than steak and pork, sometimes its drier. But I would definitely take your doctors advice and not mine. I'm not sure if our procedures are different or not. But keep up the good work!:o

Jenlaws, that's a new one on me. No pork or steak for a year? that's a HUGE part of my routine diet. As I said earlier, with steak I order it rare (which often gets you medium rare-ish in a restaurant) and that's no problem for me. At my house, pork tenderloin is a fave...I put it in a dish with seasonings, some mirepoix (which you can buy frozen in the vegetable department -- it's celery, onions and carrots), chicken or vegetable broth, cover the dish with foil and bake it until done. Very moist and reasonably tender (not fall apart, but tender). A filet steak is a small portion, very tender naturally and if not cooked too much can often be cut with a fork. That's more than I can say for a lot of chicken, LOL.

None of us would tell you to go against your doctor's orders but I would consider confirming that one year thing. I can see where pork chops or "regular" steak as most of us know it might be a problem but.....