Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we have to wait so long between fills?

Can anyone tell me why they make us wait so long between fills? If you are not getting any restriction then why not fix it?

I don't get it!:)

I was wondering the same thing. I have to wait 4 weeks between fills. I just had my 1st fill last week (only 1.5cc) and I feel no restriction at all. I called to see if I could get in sooner and was told that they only do fills every 4 weeks. At this rate, it could take several months for me to get the proper restriction.

It really depends on your doctor on how often you can get fills. During the first year, I had monthly appointments which could include a fill if I needed one. However, a couple of times I could tell after only two weeks that I still needed another fill, and I was able to come in right away for one. I was self-pay with one year fills included, so I didn't have to get insurance okay's for fills, and that made it easier.

I was very fortunate to have a doctor who was willing to work with me because it did take me more fill then the average patient to get to good sustained restriction. I was also checked a few times under fluoro to make sure everything was working right. I'm afraid I might have been a band failure had he only allowed very small fills at set dates.

I think it is because there is no way that a Dr. is going to know how much is going to be too much for any one person because everyone tolerates fills differently. It is best to go gradually, sometimes it may not seem like it, but it helps get you physically and mentally adjusted to your new eating habits, etc. But beleive me, I know it can be frustrating. I didn't feel restriction till my 5th fill!!!

Can anyone tell me why they make us wait so long between fills? If you are not getting any restriction then why not fix it?

I don't get it!:)

I don't get it either!! If you only knew how many times I have asked myself this question in the last month! LOL

I feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I had my surgery through one of the biggest, national clinics. Their after care leaves a TON to be desired. There is so little info available at any stage of the game. I had my first fill 2 weeks ago. I went from 0 to 1.5 ccs. I would have told anyone that I felt like I had never gotten a band. There was ZERO restriction. I went in on Wednesday for the second fill. It went from 1.5 cc to 2.5 cc. Now I have the tiniest bit of restriction. I mean very, very little restriction. One of the things the nurse mentioned was that I could get another fill in 2-4 weeks. I confirmed that she said 2 weeks. So, I guess I will go in 2 more weeks and get another one. I am sure there is some clinical reason for the slow fill rate; however, I would venture to guess that it also has a lot to do with $$. Every time they do a fill on me, they make about $330. It doesn't matter if it is .25cc or 5 cc. It is still $330. I'm frustrated, and I am not losing any weight either. Fun times!

My doc lets me go in every 2 weeks. I am so glad that is how he does it, by the end of that 2nd week I am so ready for a fill.

Hello fellow bandsters

I was banded on 7/9/09 and on 7/31/09 I have my 1st fill. On Aug 3rd I started a new job which will not at all allow me to miss any time during my training which does not end until the 30th of Oct.

So I will not be able to get my 2nd fill until some time in NOV. My point here is that no matter how long between fills we must always remember that this is just a tool. This band that is tucked neatly below my skin is not the the end all here. It is all about the life style change. Better choices is what it is all about and as hard as it is to make those better choices I am here to tell you it CAN be done! I am walking proof.

Someone who has had a total food addiction for the past 20 yrs is doing it and this has not been easy. I am now just about 10 weeks into this whole process and down 29 lbs and holding and I have NOT gained one 1lb at all. It is all good just take your time and do this correctly and it will be a total lifestyle change you WILL be able to live with.

Trust me!

I too have been able to go in every 2 weeks for a fill. I had my surgery on August 4th and went in 4 weeks later for my first fill. I schedule my next fill appointment on my way out the door. Just had my 3rd fill today and am hoping it will give me some restriction now. I am currently at 6 cc's in my 10 cc band and can actually feel my Water go down when I drink.. so that is a good sign. My PA said she has found most people are happy at 6 -7 cc's. Before today, I haven't felt a thing and was getting a little discouraged.

Every doctor is different and it's crazy how they do things so differently. I am thankful for the chance to get in every 2 weeks though. I am only down 5-7 pounds since my surgery.. I have been exercising regularly, eating well, and faithfully drinking my Protein shakes but not seeing any difference on the scale which has been disappointing but I DO feel a difference in my body and have had comments that others can see a difference too so that helps. I can feel my clothes fitting better and my body feels less dense. That is the best way to describe it.

I knew going into this that it would be a slower journey and the time we wait to find our sweet spots is the worst part. I know we all are ready to start shedding the pounds, it's just the wait for the restriction that is the killer. I think I will be happy now with my 6 cc's but know I will have to deal with my emotions now and not being able to eat like I used to.. that is going to be a very hard thing for me.

i was actually lecture about this last week when i went in for my fill. they actually wanted to know why i did not call and get a appt for my fill early since i was not fellin any restriction. they set my appt four to six weeks apart but they told me if i dont feel the restriction to call in and tell them even if its only been a week. thats what they are there for the goal is the prefect restriction in the green each visit. i have had five fills since 8/13 till now

My doctor's guidelines are if you are not losing 1-2 lbs for more than 2 weeks to call them. (that's what it says on paper) i'm still post op so my first fill is in a couple of weeks - YAY! (1 month out)

My doc also really listens to his patients, as to when they feel they need a fill based on hunger, weight loss etc. He will give me a fill every couple of weeks if I should need that. I have done really well with this. If your doc seems to be set in a structured way that is not indavidualized for each patient, maybe it's time to look elsewhere?

It is so true that it depends on the doc. My first fill was 3 weeks after surgery then every two weeks thereafter. My doc's goal is the "sweet spot". I got a fill today ... in this special chair for lapband fills ... I won't know until tomorrow whether I am finally at my sweet spot.

It is true that the band is a tool, but if your band isn't giving you restriction it's as if you don't even have a tool.

Good luck, hope you hit your sweet spot soon.