Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone skip mushy stage?

I was banded on the 17th. On Oct 1 I go and get checked out. He has already told me that he plans to fill me on that day have about 2 days of more liquids and then I can eat low carb low fat diet. Is this the case for anyone else?

Not for me, I had two days liquids/two days soft foods, but I've seen plenty of people that their doctors tell them to take it easy after a fill, but they didn't have any specific food restrictions. On the other hand, I've read other people say they are on liquids for a full week after a fill.

I was also banded on the 17th and i had a check up with my surgeon and he isnt going to fill untill 6 weeks post op ....I guess all surgeons do it different...hmmm

Hi Loveslady you made it over here!

So you are getting filled 2 weeks after surgery and essentially doing 2 more days of liquid and the do regular low carb on Oct 3 right?

So another question to ask is has anyone gone right to solids before week 3 post op and as early as the second week? And skip over the mushy stage on post op?

Has anyone had a fill as early as 2 weeks?

Wonder how much of a fill he would give you - let us know.

Hi Loveslady you made it over here!

So you are getting filled 2 weeks after surgery and essentially doing 2 more days of liquid and the do regular low carb on Oct 3 right?

So another question to ask is has anyone gone right to solids before week 3 post op and as early as the second week? And skip over the mushy stage on post op?

Has anyone had a fill as early as 2 weeks?

Wonder how much of a fill he would give you - let us know.

Hi, I made it!:) So I went to the doctor today. I didn't get filled today. He says he's going to wait 2 more weeks for that. He wants me to walk just get moving for now. I am on a low carb low fat diet. He says that the mushy stage is for those that had gastric bypass not really for banders. He says that since everything is intack out bodies can tolerate food et all. so I ate regularly for dinner. Some chicken, and I'm fine.

Hi, I made it!:) So I went to the doctor today. I didn't get filled today. He says he's going to wait 2 more weeks for that. He wants me to walk just get moving for now. I am on a low carb low fat diet. He says that the mushy stage is for those that had gastric bypass not really for banders. He says that since everything is intack out bodies can tolerate food et all. so I ate regularly for dinner. Some chicken, and I'm fine.

Thats interesting - every doctor has a different viewpoint it seems. But I would have been more worried if he told you to eat food right AFTER he filled you just 2 weeks after surgery - that would sound very aggressive to me.

I went on solids the other day - I had a chicken burger and I did take 3 bites too fast and I had the 'stuck' feeling - no pain (mild) but just that the food was sitting in my chest - if i ate another bite I'm sure i would have had the pain or if I were more restricted too. Interesting because i can guzzle Water down.

a chicken burger. I've never heard of it. Sounds good.

Well I am on solid foods. Its kinda hard cause I feel like I eat alot. I know that I don't but i have gained a few pounds back since I am able to eat. I am walking about 45 mins a day but i still gained...

chicken burger (let me clarify no bread) just ground chicken patty on the griddle... GROSS I really hate Chopped chicken. I don't know why i didn't marinade it like I would have chicken breast (with oil, lemon and oregano).

I am eating a ton too (today is better I seem to have days where I am tighter than others go figure). When I went back on food right around day 10 after surgery and went on to mushies i gained back about 2.5 lbs then I lost it. Here is exactly what it was like (see below). I'm hoping I will be down a lb tomorrow I just have a feeling! UGH its annoying. I get a fill next week thank GOODNESS! Hope it helps. I upped my exercise going to gym now. So basically I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. It is expected that you will gain some weight when you go on solids because - you are upping your calories and your body will retain back some Water. The liquid diet was like a purge (also I'm thinking we lose muscle mass on that liquid and as you start eating normal and also exercising you gain some back). My clothes do feel looser so even though the scale hasn't gone down much in the two weeks I do suspect I am putting some muscle back on.

10/02/2009 220.8 Edit || started solid food on 9/30

09/27/2009 220.8 Edit ||

09/26/2009 222.2 Edit ||

09/22/2009 223.6 Edit || started mushies on 9/20

09/19/2009 221.2 Edit || the low while on liquid

09/17/2009 222.2 Edit || still losing

09/15/2009 225.2 Edit || 5 days post op - losing

I'm two weeks postop and just had my check up today. My Dr. put me on soft solid foods after being on liquids since surgery. I had some chicken today for lunch and it went down fine! I'm also a little afraid of gaining back a few pounds that I lost on the liquid diet, but I'm sure as the fills start coming all will settle into place.

I had my post-op appt. today and got the go-ahead to start mushy foods. I so want some eggs and refried Beans....but on the other-hand I like the steady weight I am losing on full liquids.

Did anyone regret going to the mushy stage? How long did your doctor have you wait before starting mushies? tomorrow will be 10 days post op. I know I have to advance to mushies and then solids...I am just wondering if I should wait a bit longer?

I had my post-op appt. today and got the go-ahead to start mushy foods. I so want some eggs and refried Beans....but on the other-hand I like the steady weight I am losing on full liquids.

Did anyone regret going to the mushy stage? How long did your doctor have you wait before starting mushies? tomorrow will be 10 days post op. I know I have to advance to mushies and then solids...I am just wondering if I should wait a bit longer?

I know there are people who like to extend the liquid phase out. For me I could have it wasn't like it was bothering me but personally I don't find it a) healthy and :) conducive to starting to teach you about a new way of life. On such a low calorie diet you are also losing muscle mass as part of your weight. Last time I did this diet i ended up w/ mono (I did liquid for 4 months in my 20's under a doctors care and they watched me a lot closer than they watched me now but it was only 3 weeks this time). So while I loved the weight loss - I personally did not feel that I should be staying on liquids - whats the point of doing the band then? I could have done the liquids without it (Ok granted the fact that i was having surgery sure did motivate me more).. but I would rather learn my new way of life is what I am trying to say.

You are absolutely right Hmarko. I had all of these same thoughts rush through my head yesterday while I was deciding what to do. What it boiled down to for me was that the band is of no use while on liquids so I better get moving to mushy's and then solids.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me!

Do not skip any stages....follow the docs order and you will do well!!!! Good Luck!

I was banded on the 17th. On Oct 1 I go and get checked out. He has already told me that he plans to fill me on that day have about 2 days of more liquids and then I can eat low carb low fat diet. Is this the case for anyone else?

Hi, I was banded on the 22nd. I stayed on liquid for about 4 days then slowly increased from puree/soft to regular. I have to eat slowly. I found that if I eat solid food too fast I get a "I need to burp feeling" not pain so much but pretty uncomfortable. Get my first fill on the 29th...