Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 questions--scars and QOL

Hello! i psted this on the post op board because i figured more people who have had the procedure would check this board.

1)Sooo...Im saving to get the procedure done and was wondering two things:

is anyone willing to show what the scars look like? or can you describe how large they are?

2)also, how is your quality of life...its great that after the three meals per day you feel full quicker...however, do u find yourself fighting hunger in between meals? socially, is life more difficult when it comes to the enjoyment you used to get from eating? are you able to go out to eat with friends/ go to starbucks etc without feeling deprived? I cant stop wondering what i will do socially if i cant go out like i do now...or where i will go out in the future, if i cant do restaurants etc

THANKS FOR SHARING!

Edited by BQT

Simple answers to your questions:

1. scars. Mine are quite small, the largest being 1 inch at the most and are settling into a nice color. Judging from my appendix scars from a year ago, they'll be a nice white, not noticable colour by summer. (which is coming up soon in Australia). Here's a link to members that have been brave/kind enough to photograph their scars at different stages: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/scar-stages-share-yours-6117/

2. QOL: I puke occasionally, and sometimes my head says that i want to eat more than my pouch can handle. Quality of life....hmmmmmmm. compared to that fact that i couldn't go up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing, and was isolating myself from people because i didn't want them to see me fat. I can sure put up with a few "user errors" in return for being able to finally move around and be happy with what i see in the mirror.

My best friend was afraid that she'd lose an "eating buddy". When we go out, i just get an appetizer and push it around my plate for an hour....she barely even notices that i don't eat much....she's more interested in the company. Don't sweat that part too much.

Good luck and enjoy the ride !!! :seeya:

1) My scars are already fading away into white streaks. However, since I was mainly interested in being healthy again, I don't care about scars.

2) As for eating out, I usually order a small bowl of Soup or small salad and play around with it until the others are finished.

3) My quality of life is already improving with only almost 30 pounds gone in five weeks. My energy is up, my joints aren't hurting as much, I'm sleeping better. I think a lot of this is because of the weight loss but it's also because I don't gorge myself when eating anymore. I'm eating better foods instead of a lot of sweet junk nothings.

I think you have to decide WHAT is the most important things for you. For me, it's better health. The weight loss is just a nice side effect.

Edited by LollyMoe
added a word

1-scars- I have a total of five the longest being about an inch. they are healing very well and have started to fade. But as Julia and LollyMoe said, I don't care, I thought I would about the scars but I am sooo much happier with the weight gone than the scars. well worth it for me.

2-eating- I miss eating, like I use to. I am struggling still with the head hunger and the urge to WANT to eat more. But it's simple, I CANT eat the way I use to unless I want to spend time in pain and PB'ing, which I don't. so I can still enjoy the foods I like, just modified (no bun on a burger, which you find out you don't miss that much). As far as going out with friends to eat, it's no big deal, you really start to appreciate the TIME spent with your friends than the meal itself.

Good luck with your journey. I am glad you found this site, the people are amazing and never be afraid to ask. We all have been down the same road (in a sense) and are here to help.

I have only one incision, right in the belly button and it has healed very well and is barely noticeable.

It's been almost 5 weeks since my banding and I get my first fill on Wed. so I have been hungry but am managing to just ignore it and make good choices/sm. portions. I feel so great, better than I have in years! I don't regret this decision at all.

Best of luck to you!

Hi! I have only two incisions. The smallest of the two has the teeniest scar -- and it's faded so much that it is barely noticeable. My bottom scar hasn't faded as well, but it's no biggie. It's exactly 1.5 inches long.

Here is a link to a photo from a few months ago.

As far as quality of life, mine has just gotten better with the band because I feel and look so much better. My social life involves a lot of going out for dinner and drinks, and it's fine with the band. I do a bit more planning (I used to check out menus on-line at the beginning so that I would know in advance what I should order), and I eat a lot less, but it's totally fine.

For example, last night, I went to a 5-course dinner at an underground supper club in Brooklyn, and it was totally fine. I posted about it on my blog -- feel free to take a look.

I don't feel deprived even a little bit when I'm out with friends. I order what I want (i.e. something delicious that isn't likely to get me stuck), eat a reasonable amount, and it all works out just fine.

This is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I worried a lot about feeling deprived b/c I love restaurants, nice wine and great food, but it hasn't been a problem. Honestly, I enjoy my social life even more now because I feel better, can wear cute clothes from normal stores, and feel great about things in general!

Also -- I don't go around feeling hungry -- if I am actually physically hungry, I eat something. The band cuts down the hunger feeling incredibly, and you get full very quickly.

Congratulations on your decision!

Catherine

THANKS EVERYONE for sharing your information with me!I am so glad that I found this website. I cant believe that some of you actually only had one or two inciscions...Im going to have look into that type of procedure as well.