Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Women- Underwire Bras

I am only one week post op, but I wore an underwire bra the other day and it hurt so bad after being at work like a couple hours. In a sports bra I'm fine. I didn't realize that it would push down on my sternum like that and I also didn't know that my band is that high up and is more centered. I am bigger chested, so I am sure that makes a difference too.

I guess my question is...did those who have larger chests have a problem going back to an underwire bra?

I SO hope not, I can't imagine not wearing an underwire.

Boo

Hi Boo, I stuck with the sportsbra for about a month after my surgery. After that, I was able to go back to underwires without any problems. You are still pretty tender right now from your surgery, which is why the underwire is bothering you so much.

My port is not that high up and it is not centered since my surgeon used my old gallbladder scar to give me less cuts, but I have heard stories from other girls that had your problem...wish I could tell you how it worked out for them, but I don't really know.

Just wanted you to know that you were not alone.

These surgeons are usually men and I don't think they even consider the fact that we wear bras, ya know?

Thanks Susan and Slow. OK, I'm gonna rock the "uniboob" for a month or so and maybe try again. I just got nervous thinking "what if". LOL

Oh, and slowmover...my port is also down on my side and lower. I'm happy with that position, so far anyway :biggrin: It's the band that is more centered and up higher. I don't know why I thought it would be a little lower. :mad:

Can't wait to hear if some others also got back to underwires. :tongue2:

My port is not that high up and it is not centered since my surgeon used my old gallbladder scar to give me less cuts, but I have heard stories from other girls that had your problem...wish I could tell you how it worked out for them, but I don't really know.

Just wanted you to know that you were not alone.

These surgeons are usually men and I don't think they even consider the fact that we wear bras, ya know?

I have worn an underwire religiously for years before surgery. Probably the first week and a half maybe two weeks I had a horrible time wearing my bras. It hurt! I was scared I would never be able to wear the underwires again and I NEED to wear them. I've always been top heavy no matter what weight I am.

Anyway, I am a little over a month post op and back to wearing my underwires. I don't even give it a thought anymore. They feel the same as they did prior to surgery.

I think I just had to get over the soreness and all. Now's it back to normal. Hope you have a similar experience!

T

Hi, I had the same problems as all of you. I didn't wear a bra for the first week. I had an appointment week 2 post-op and couldn't wait until I got home to take it off. My underwire didn't hurt as much as it put a lot of pressure on my port site. I ask my doctor about it. He said once the swelling goes down and the port settles into place you will not have any more problems.....and I haven't.

Edited by bluetopaz

OK, I'm gonna rock the "uniboob" for a month or so and maybe try again. I just got nervous thinking "what if". LOL

I'm so happy to hear that this was brought up. I'm five days till surgery and continually adding things to the list of stuff I have to have lined up for the week or so following. Sports bra is now added. Can't say I like them but at least it will work for now. Too top heavy to even think about going more than a day or two without... unless I want to start saving for an extra surgery to fix the girls. :mad:

didn't leave the house for almost a week, so didn't worry about a bra at all, when I did leave the house, tank with a brashelf under my shirt was the deal, nothing tight. of course i hate bra's to begin with.

I had the same problem after surgery. I am also VERY heavy chested. I didn't wear my bra for about a week after surgery. Once I finally started wearing it again, I realized that part of the problem was one of my small incisions that was right at the point where my underwire sat. I started puting a big, cushiony band-aid over it, and that seemed to help some.

By about the 3rd or 4th week, I was back to wearing my underwire bra without a problem.

I am also "well endowed" and my only problem was like SamB's -- the underwire rested right on one of my incisions. I went without or wore a sports bra for about two weeks and then went back to underwire. I did have to put gauze between the incision and the underwire for another week or so. After that, I was fine. My port, however, is just just above my belly button so pressure wasn't really the problem for me.

Boo - you took the words out of my mouth! I was banded on the 14th and just went back to work this week. I wore my underwire bra the first day and it was torture. I work 10 hour days, and was almost sick by the time I got home - it was that painful! My port is in the fat roll that sits right under my boobs, and boy did that underwire squish it! I went back to the sports bras I wore all last week, and I am much more comfortable. Apparently I am still more swollen than I realized. Glad to know it gets better, because I require an underwire bra. My back is already sore from the lack of support!

Like many of the other posters, I did not go back to work for a week after my surgery. I went right back to wearing my underwire bras and did not have some pain, but it wasn't anything that I couldn't deal with. After a while, I didn't even notice. I have noticed that if I eat a little to much and am sitting, I can feel the pressure. It is better if I stand up - so it is a good way to help stay on track. good luck!

I am top heavy too, but have never been able to wear an underwire bra...I found a brand of non-wired bras that support very well except after surgery. Everything hurt for the first couple of weeks and even after that. Even after losing 20 pounds, the bras hurt. Now, everything is much better and I'm not having any trouble with them.