Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just banded by Dr Kuri on 09/19/05! He was wonderful! I researched many of the mexican Dr's and you really cannot beat his experience. I was picked up at the airport in San Diego and taken right to the hospital for my pre-op work with Dr Peterson (one of Dr Kuri's team) he was very nice. The nurses were very nice and don't bother you constantly like they have to here :). The hotel/pharmacy/ and hospital are all within a block of each other so it was very easy to walk back and forth. I didn't need any pain meds after the surgery. (I personally did need some anti-nausea meds..didn't want to throw up!!) and I have had no problems since. I would recommend him highly. Here is a link to his Yahoo group if you would like to talk to some other patients of his. Good Luck! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dr_Kuri/

What Erin said. Happy Kuri patient here. I guess you have his web addy? www.beliteweight.com

I chose Kuri for his experience. There are other Mx docs, I hear, with more bells and whistles and fancy stuff. Not a thing wrong with that. I suppose Kuri was more my style. Hard working, knowledgable, reliable, predicable, not distracted by fancy. I went for a great band surgery and got one. The hotel was nice, past acceptable (Holiday Inn with marble) and the hospital was very small and not too fancy at all but it had everything as far as I could tell. My sister went with me and she plans to see Kuri when her band time comes. That says alot to me. Kuri's fellow docs are lovely and kind. Dr Peterson is great. The entire experience was made easy if you just go with the flow and hang on for the ride. All the details are taken care of. Nurses are competent but mostly Spanish speaking only. It helps to know a tad, but it isn't needed. I still want to know what that sleeping pill was I got in the hospital. Slept like a baby all night.

So, I wouldn't describe it as over-the-top at all. It was fine. I had an exceptional band surgeon who took good care of me and did a great job. What I asked for, paid for, and got. I'm satisfied.

I used Dr Kuri-was happy with him but just know that it is not like an American hospital and you are best served learning basic spanish.All was great and he was nice but its just very different and the "hospital" looks like a warzone clinic from the 50s-lol.PM me if ya like and Ill email you my number and we can chat if ya like about it.Im very honest in the experience.

hello to all,,,

I have been reading alot of the posts on here,,,all of my questions have been answered. Just have to wait until i can get a appointment to have my lap band.

This is a great support system.

As a physician myself, I chose Dr Kuri after researching heavily and meeting 5 of the different docs down there. I taked with all the other physicians who also chose him, and 5 of his banded US nurses. His experience is top-notch and complications fewer than any of the other docs. The infection rate at the hospital , although small, is non-existent. none of the US hospitals can say that. The care was excellent, the fsacility fine, the nurses VERY well-trained - and I'm doing great!!!! He is just a sweet, kind, and very caring man with excllent skills. i was invited into the OR to see severaql surgeries the day before minbe, and I was very impressed. There are at least 2, and usually 3, trained Inamed band surgeons in all surgeries, and this cuts down the operating time, complications, and rcovery time.

Most importantly to me was the followup care. I believe he is the only doc that has a very active online board with experienced, banded medical professionals teaching daily and trouble-shooting problems so you can learn all you need to know to do great.

The worst complaint I ever got was someone who was unhappy having to wait for a scheduled fill becuase Dr Kuri was taking care of an urgent surgical problem from another doc. She had cut the time too short and endede up missing her plane.

good luck with whatever you choose. Research well because you will have a relationship with your doctor for the rest of your life.

I took my driver's license, marriage certificate, social security card, birth certificate. I was asked for my license at the border coming back (drove right through going in) and the border patrol asked me what the capital of North Carolina was. I knew, so off we went. No problems. The border patrol knows Kuri's driver and red BeLiteWeight van coming back and forth several times a day so they check, but it's quick. That was my experience. I think there is a bit of relative ease when you go in and out for surgery. For fills, the transportation is "on your own" so you are more likely to hear dramatic stories.

Now, I heard that they were changing the rules about what gets you through. Used to be a lisence was fine but it seems like that changed...there's an old thread somewhere. Maybe someone will post a link? Check the CA border patrol website, maybe? Let us know what you find out!

Cindy, I saw your post on another thread about the use of a "middleman" when getting banded in MX. I was very concerned about this as well, and made sure this wasn't the case with Dr Kuri. Dr Kuri has patient reps that help US folks going to MX for surgery, take care of their plans, coordinate with Kuris' office, etc. They are Kuri employees, not independent businesses. I was relieved to hear that. They ae very helpful for answering all your questions, etc. so you don't have to worry about that with Kuri. Just in case you wanted to know :)

I didnt even know there was more than one reputable banding doctor in Mexico so I really appreciate hearing about Dr Kuri.

Check into Dr Ortiz (in TJ) as well. Just to round out your research. I hear lots of good things about him, since you are interested in reputable docs. He would have been my second choice but I was already in contact with Kuri's office and felt very comfortable there. Good luck!