Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your First Fill Date!!!

Stardustic - how long did it take you to drink that cup after the restriction?

I did not measure the time but it went down like it would go down pre-surgery. I do not have any restriction on Water or thin liquids, it goes down perfectly fine. When drinking a heavy Protein shake I have a very small restriction but I do not drink them any longer as they do not keep me full for a long time... I assume they are what is called slider foods.

Hi Soco,

I get my first fill tomorrow too. Haven't gained any weight but I haven't lost any in 2 weeks either. I'm also having the same problem with my blood sugars. Sometimes that seems worse than the weight thing. Just because I know I can do better. I can't believe you said you're looking forward to liquids and mushies again! I was thinking the same thing yesterday! LOL

Stardustic - interesting to compare notes on both the methods they use and the 'feel'. When he did the first one (before he took some out).. i could not even drink that little dixie cup of Water in 45 mins!! It felt like it did a few times when I ate too fast and the food just sat there - slight pain and pressure.

Right now in the evening i have restriction w/ thin shakes but that is supposed to diminish over the next couple of days. Mushies in 2 days but if i still have restriction i am to go back to liquid another day. I doubt I will have restriction on liquids its not too bad right now... so it sounds like the difference is they are more aggressive in my office but because of that no solids either for like 4 days. It could also be cuz i was complaining about gaining and losing the same two lbs over the last 3 weeks and asked them to do what they can to restrict me!

Hi Soco,

I get my first fill tomorrow too. Haven't gained any weight but I haven't lost any in 2 weeks either. I'm also having the same problem with my blood sugars. Sometimes that seems worse than the weight thing. Just because I know I can do better. I can't believe you said you're looking forward to liquids and mushies again! I was thinking the same thing yesterday! LOL

Hello Patpie, In Reading about first fill experiences.. I can't wait to feel that restriction. I'm a type 2 diabetic and know what you mean about it seeming worse then the weight gain. Right after surgery my sugar levels were in the low 100's.. I was So HAPPY.. At that point the surgery was Sooo worth it. I had been on three different types of medications and it was still very difficult to control my sugars. Needless to say I was elated when the doctor told me to stop taking them except for one. But, like I said my sugars have been high and I would hate to start taking all those pills again. It seems that they have so many negative side effects.. Well we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm scheduled for 1pm and have to stop eating and drinking anything four hours prior... Good Luck and I'll be looking for your post..

Edited by Soco

Hello Patpie, In Reading about first fill experiences.. I can't wait to feel that restriction. I'm a type 2 diabetic and know what you mean about it seeming worse then the weight gain. Right after surgery my sugar levels were in the low 100's.. I was So HAPPY.. At that point the surgery was Sooo worth it. I had been on three different types of medications and it was still very difficult to control my sugars. Needless to say I was elated when the doctor told me to stop taking them except for one. But, like I said my sugars have been high and I would hate to start taking all those pills again. It seems that they have so many negative side effects.. Well we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I'm scheduled for 1pm and have to stop eating and drinking anything four hours prior... Good Luck and I'll be looking for your post..

Soco, I'm with ya girlie! I haven't gained but I have been stalled with the same 2 lbs for 2 wks. I have to wait all the way to nov 9th for my fill because I will be outa town. At this point I would be happy just not to gain :thumbup:

on diabetes and meds - I have PCO and diabetes. though my a1c is usually normal - i know that the minute I add fat and carbs to my diet I just don't metabolize it properly and can't lose weight so I will be on metformin even though my bg's are good until i get close to goal weight. Don't know if anyone else has observed this. Anytime I've been OFF metformin i gained weight through nothing i've done!

Hi - my first fill is this afternoon! I was banded on Sept 1 and am ready for the fill. I am a little apprehensive about how they do it, but I am sure it's a lot less involved than the surgery was.

Hello All, Well I had My First Fill today.. I must admit, I was a little nervous. I was called in and my vitals were taken, No big surprise, 240 lbs... -those wicked four pounds I've been struggling with- I was then taken to the room and instructed to lie down, pull up my shirt and push my pants down a little. The nurse sterilized and draped my port site. She then stepped out and came back with the Doctor. He went directly to work and injected a numbing solution that stung as it went in. He used a little syringe, like the little insulin ones. But, then he pulled out an Enormous Syringe. I swear.. I don't know where it came from.. I didn't feel anything when he inserted it but, It made a crunching sound. Yuk!! It felt so weird inside. A total foreign object.. The Doctor then helped me up needle in and all. He handed me a cup of Water and told me to drink while he filled the port. He told me to tell him when I felt the "stuck" feeling. I took three drinks and felt that awful chest pain, pressure. He took out some of the liquid and I could feel the Water going down. After a couple more time of this and he was done. The nurse put on a band aid and I fixed my clothes. I asked how much he put in and was told a little over 1cc. I totally feel the restriction and no interest in food. It's weird if not for my growling stomach, I would not even think of food. It's like right after surgery without the shoulder and incision pain. I've been working on 12oz cup of coffee for the last hour. I drink about 1oz and feel it just linger in my chest.. I love it! Even though it hurts a little. I have to do two days all liquid and two days mushies. The only thing is, My second fill isn't for another TWO months!! I don't know if I can go so long with only this restriction.. We'll just have to wait and see.. I purposely haven't changed my ticker because I don't plan to have those four pounds for much longer..

Dee: Hang in there.. It'll be Okay once you get your fill.. I can't wait to kiss those four pounds Good Bye!

Edited by Soco

Hello All, Well I had My First Fill today.. I must admit, I was a little nervous. I was called in and my vitals were taken, No big surprise, 240 lbs... -those wicked four pounds I've been struggling with- I was then taken to the room and instructed to lie down, pull up my shirt and push my pants down a little. The nurse sterilized and draped my port site. She then stepped out and came back with the Doctor. He went directly to work and injected a numbing solution that stung as it went in. He used a little syringe, like the little insulin ones. But, then he pulled out an Enormous Syringe. I swear.. I don't know where it came from.. I didn't feel anything when he inserted it but, It made a crunching sound. Yuk!! It felt so weird inside. A total foreign object.. The Doctor then helped me up needle in and all. He handed me a cup of Water and told me to drink while he filled the port. He told me to tell him when I felt the "stuck" feeling. I took three drinks and felt that awful chest pain, pressure. He took out some of the liquid and I could feel the Water going down. After a couple more time of this and he was done. The nurse put on a band aid and I fixed my clothes. I asked how much he put in and was told a little over 1cc. I totally feel the restriction and no interest in food. It's weird if not for my growling stomach, I would not even think of food. It's like right after surgery without the shoulder and incision pain. I've been working on 12oz cup of coffee for the last hour. I drink about 1oz and feel it just linger in my chest.. I love it! Even though it hurts a little. I have to do two days all liquid and two days mushies. The only thing is, My second fill isn't for another TWO months!! I don't know if I can go so long with only this restriction.. We'll just have to wait and see.. I purposely haven't changed my ticker because I don't plan to have those four pounds for much longer..

Dee: Hang in there.. It'll be Okay once you get your fill.. I can't wait to kiss those four pounds Good Bye!

Soco? Are you sure he said 1cc? Seems like most on here are getting anywhere from 3-5cc... Did you have some fill put in at time of your surgery? Good luck!

Soco? Are you sure he said 1cc? Seems like most on here are getting anywhere from 3-5cc... Did you have some fill put in at time of your surgery? Good luck!

You Know.. I thought the same thing. He said "A little over 1cc". and that now I should start feeling the restriction since it was empty. So, okay that answers our second question. But, I remember seeing on a post that the bands come in different sizes.??? I don't know?? I just thought Okay.. I must have a smaller band that requires less fill?? I'll have to ask about that.

And guess what? This morning I weighed myself and I'm 236.8?? I must have some serious Water retention problems.. I doubt I lost the evil four overnight..

Edited by Soco

Soco - yea 1 cc sounds like a little - did you have any in there before do you know? Maybe you have the 4cc band? So tell me more about how they kept repeating the drinking Water thing. With me they asked me to do that after the fill and I couldn't get it down so they took out .8 cc's from 5.5 total. But NOW I can eat only 1/2 cup of mushies and I get the chest pressure even w/ drinking Water. But w/ water it is mild. Our guideline is to drink a little tiny dixie cup in 15 mins and if that is good we are ok. I couldn't in 45 mins so they took some out. Its a process. I'm going back in just under 3 weeks anyway - I have to see my surgeon -she likes to do the first fill but my appt got messed up I thought it was the day before.

Today I had coffee w/ unflavored unjry at 8 am

at 1pm 6 oz of the Greek Total 0% yogurt

at 7 pm I had 1/2 cup refried Beans w/ cheese

then at 9 pm cuz my Protein was low was blended ground spicy lamb w/ garlic yogurt sauce. Another day of mushies then I try food.

Soco ps I too lost the two evil lbs i have been struggling w/ overnight - cuz I was on liquid diet - are you on liquid after your fills?

The fills don't hurt - I had the needle in me twice the first time it went smoother I think the second time the other guy had a little more trouble finding the port but it was no big deal. The only thing that hurt was drinking Water and feeling that pressure. Kinda weird. I find the whole thing fascinating!

Hi all. I have been reading all your posts on getting your first fills. You all are so helpfull. I had mine on Thursday and it did not hurt. they put in 3cc and had to take out 1cc because i was having chest pains. I felt a little crappy that night and the next day. I think i was just stressed out over getting my first adjustment. The problem that i am having is i was feeling restrictions that first night after my fill and the next day but today I am not feeling it to much. I mean I am feeling it but it is not lasting. I am eating between 4 and 6oz and after 2 or 3 hours I am hungry again. Very Hungry. Is anyone else having this issue? Can anyone give any suggestions? I am making very good food choices and walking at least 2 miles 5 times a weeks.