Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your First Fill Date!!!

I was banded Sept 9th and my first fill is on Oct 14th (I think), I had 3 cc's put in during surgery, and think I may have some tiny restriction, but I am VERY EXCITED for my first fill, I have already been told they would be putting in 1 cc.

My doctor is a stickler for waiting 6 wks. My first fill will be Nov 2nd, which is actually about 6 1/2 wks, but its my fault beause I will be out of town for a bit. I hope I can continue on my own until then. Right now I feel like I am "dieting" which never works for me, thats why I was banded in the first place :)

I had my two week follow-up appointment yesterday and I will receive my first fill/adjustment on October 26. I was kinda worried because it's 3 days before I leave for vacation, but they told me they would add 2 cc's then and I should be ok. They will then and 4 cc's two weeks later. I can't wait!

WOOO HOOO way to go fillers. I can't wait to hear from everyone after their fills and how they are doing.

CO Mom how are you doing post fill. I think you are the first one to be filled so far that has posted.

I am next week Wednesday and I can't wait!!!

Can't wait to have some restriction as I have NONE!!!

:smile:

I had my two week follow-up appointment yesterday and I will receive my first fill/adjustment on October 26. I was kinda worried because it's 3 days before I leave for vacation, but they told me they would add 2 cc's then and I should be ok. They will then and 4 cc's two weeks later. I can't wait!

Jody,

We are two days apart in our surgeries, you seem to be handling it much better than I.

Dee

I am really looking forward to my fill because although I did get just below the magic 14stone, my weight is starting to creep up because I am hungry and eating more.

After the banding I was really not interested in food that much and always had more interesting things to do...now I am cruising down to the kitchen, poking about in the fridge, trying to eat healthy but I AM HUNGRY!!!!!

So I think the stomach must be pretty well healed. My fluoroscopic fill is on Monday and I will be well and truly ready for it.

However, I have always regarded this as a long term thing and was not surprised that the weight loss slowed, stopped and is probably in reverse!

It was such a great thing to really not be bothered about food. It will be great to get back to that state, hopefully straightaway post-fill. We are going out to eat (!) that evening as I am having my fill in the same town as my daughter who is at Uni. My husband is coming too, so we are all going to a Chinese restaurant where the vegetarians will be happy, the meateaters will be happy, and the dimsum eaters will be happy too. I am planning just to have some soup!

I am really looking forward to my fill because although I did get just below the magic 14stone, my weight is starting to creep up because I am hungry and eating more.

After the banding I was really not interested in food that much and always had more interesting things to do...now I am cruising down to the kitchen, poking about in the fridge, trying to eat healthy but I AM HUNGRY!!!!!

So I think the stomach must be pretty well healed. My fluoroscopic fill is on Monday and I will be well and truly ready for it.

However, I have always regarded this as a long term thing and was not surprised that the weight loss slowed, stopped and is probably in reverse!

It was such a great thing to really not be bothered about food. It will be great to get back to that state, hopefully straightaway post-fill. We are going out to eat (!) that evening as I am having my fill in the same town as my daughter who is at Uni. My husband is coming too, so we are all going to a Chinese restaurant where the vegetarians will be happy, the meateaters will be happy, and the dimsum eaters will be happy too. I am planning just to have some soup!

I am so happy that I am not the only one feeling the pressure of the refrigerator. It keeps calling me now. I know that I have gained weight and its way more than a few pounds. I have to get refocused. Can I just get rid of the fridge all together.:)

I was banded on 9/17 and will have my fill on 10/22. i can't wait. I'm ready to shed these pounds.

So how's everyone doing after the first fill? I have mine in two days (Oct. 15th). I haven't lost any weight since the first 20 lbs. so I'm really excited to start loosing again. I hear you have to go back to liquids for a couple days and then mushies again. That will be a little tough since I've been eating solids and really enjoying them. Of course, I'll enjoy more weight loss better! lol

blk-weight.png

Edited by Patpie

So how's everyone doing after the first fill? I have mine in two days (Oct. 16th). I haven't lost any weight since the first 20 lbs. so I'm really excited to start loosing again. I hear you have to go back to liquids for a couple days and then mushies again. That will be a little tough since I've been eating solids and really enjoying them. Of course, I'll enjoy more weight loss better! lolblk-weight.png

Edited by Patpie

Hello All, I get my first fill tomorrow. I'm so glad because I've gained four pounds.. Urrgh! :) I can't wait... I'm even looking forward to liquids and mushies. I guess I could have done that on my own. But, it's much easier when you Have to do it.. I don't feel much restriction and even my blood sugars have crept back up..:eek:

I had my first fill on Monday, at 4pm and got home yesterday and was at work all day today so now is my first chance to post.

We had a five hour drive to the hospital and I went in at 4pm. I had just managed to get a real coffee inside me an hour previously when we arrived at our hotel, so that was good and just in time!

First I had to take off my top and put on a paper gown, and lie on the X ray table. The radiologist was really friendly and we were chatting away while he cleaned the skin over my port. He stuck in a white needle which was really not painful. Not anything as painful as having a blood sample from your arm. The needle connected to a three way tap and a syringe containing the saline.

Then the entire table was tipped slowly so I was almost upright with the needle still in my port. Then they got the Xray focusing on my abdomen and I took a small swallow of the radio-opaque liquid. That was really fun to watch, as it slid down into my oesophagus and stayed there for a short time, and then a wave of contraction squirted it into the stomach as the sphincter relaxed at the same time. Only the first time it did not work and they had to get me completely vertical – then it went down.

The radiologist sucked out the saline in the band, to see how much was in there, then put it back and added a bit more, I swallowed some more stuff and we watched it go down. You could see the band quite clearly and the stuff going through the opening. I swallowed some more radio-opaque liquid and we watched each time I swallowed and some more saline was added and eventually when we reached the goal diameter of 3-4mm, I had a drink of Water and everything felt fine so that was it. Needle removed and a tiny plaster stuck on and off I went.

I felt absolutely no different to start with. That evening we went out to a Chinese meal with my daughters and that was really hard! I asked for chicken Soup with no chicken and no noodles and ended up with a bowl of clear chicken broth and I WAS HUNGRY!!! I was really tempted by all the lovely food and in the end I was reduced to spooning up some of the sauce! I was seriously thinking about buying some low-fat yoghurt from a convenience store on the way home.

However as we walked home I started to have a slight discomfort in the chest, just like after the op and I stopped feeling hungry. The next morning I had a glass of orange juice, some yoghurt and a little fruit compote and coffee for Breakfast in the hotel, and I was not remotely tempted by my husband's fruit salad or yummy pastries or toast.

We met my daughters out shopping and went for lunch. I had some Soup and found myself saying to myself, no-not a bowl, a cup will do, and a small cup of coffee will be plenty instead of a large one. So I am back to how I was post-op, not being that interested in food.

Today at work I had taken a can of soup and did not get round to heating it up till after 2, which just shows how other things take precedence over eating which is just such a big change. Long may it last!!!

Hi everyone. I will have my first fill Nov 2. Please keep posting about your experiences. Of course, I am afraid of the needle like everyone else. I am having head hunger; but, I don't think I am really hungry yet.

Have a good day!!!!

I had my first fill on Monday, at 4pm and got home yesterday and was at work all day today so now is my first chance to post.

We had a five hour drive to the hospital and I went in at 4pm. I had just managed to get a real coffee inside me an hour previously when we arrived at our hotel, so that was good and just in time!

First I had to take off my top and put on a paper gown, and lie on the X ray table. The radiologist was really friendly and we were chatting away while he cleaned the skin over my port. He stuck in a white needle which was really not painful. Not anything as painful as having a blood sample from your arm. The needle connected to a three way tap and a syringe containing the saline.

Then the entire table was tipped slowly so I was almost upright with the needle still in my port. Then they got the Xray focusing on my abdomen and I took a small swallow of the radio-opaque liquid. That was really fun to watch, as it slid down into my oesophagus and stayed there for a short time, and then a wave of contraction squirted it into the stomach as the sphincter relaxed at the same time. Only the first time it did not work and they had to get me completely vertical – then it went down.

The radiologist sucked out the saline in the band, to see how much was in there, then put it back and added a bit more, I swallowed some more stuff and we watched it go down. You could see the band quite clearly and the stuff going through the opening. I swallowed some more radio-opaque liquid and we watched each time I swallowed and some more saline was added and eventually when we reached the goal diameter of 3-4mm, I had a drink of Water and everything felt fine so that was it. Needle removed and a tiny plaster stuck on and off I went.

I felt absolutely no different to start with. That evening we went out to a Chinese meal with my daughters and that was really hard! I asked for chicken Soup with no chicken and no noodles and ended up with a bowl of clear chicken broth and I WAS HUNGRY!!! I was really tempted by all the lovely food and in the end I was reduced to spooning up some of the sauce! I was seriously thinking about buying some low-fat yoghurt from a convenience store on the way home.

However as we walked home I started to have a slight discomfort in the chest, just like after the op and I stopped feeling hungry. The next morning I had a glass of orange juice, some yoghurt and a little fruit compote and coffee for Breakfast in the hotel, and I was not remotely tempted by my husband's fruit salad or yummy pastries or toast.

We met my daughters out shopping and went for lunch. I had some soup and found myself saying to myself, no-not a bowl, a cup will do, and a small cup of coffee will be plenty instead of a large one. So I am back to how I was post-op, not being that interested in food.

Today at work I had taken a can of soup and did not get round to heating it up till after 2, which just shows how other things take precedence over eating which is just such a big change. Long may it last!!!

Thanks for the play by play... I hope my fill tomorrow goes as well as yours. I've been eating way more then I should. :) I hope I haven't stretched out my pouch.. Thanks again.

So here is my fill experience. I basically lost 2 lbs since surgery thats it. I thought i was down to four but those 2 came back... I screwed up my appt I have not seen my surgeon yet last time they didn't book me with her (post op) and this time for the first fill it was supposed to be with her but i thought it was today and they had me for tomorrow and I could not take the time from work tomorrow ( I had to clear my calendar). So I saw the nurse who I have heard great things about too. SOOO i went in complaining about eating too much and asked if he can go aggressive and he says believe me if it is too aggressive you won't be happy. He takes out what was in there which was 1.5 cc's... then he puts in 5.5 cc's which I figured YAY aggressive. Then he says go outside and drink some Water and make sure it is not coming up (should take 15 mins for this little dixie cup)... WELL I am sipping it slowly and feel quite a bit of pressure in my chest to the point where in 45 mins I am 2/3 of the way done (I'm sure if I drank it in the 15 mins it would have come back up). So I got back up and I said I don't know how this is supposed to feel but I think I am too tight. So another one of the nurses took out .8 cc's so now I am at 4.7cc's. I NEED to be on liquids right now. I am drinking a coffee and sipping it and I can see it taking a half hour to an hour for 12 oz.

So I'm happy to see my dr's office works hard to get you to that spot fairly quickly. Does everyone else do the Water test and what do they tell you to look for? They squeezed me in to accomodate me so he told me how it should feel (ie not spitting up; or gurgling) but the pressure seemed too much. Soon as he took the .8 cc's out felt much better.

I had my first fill 8 days ago and it was not done under x-ray and I did not have to drink any bad tasting liquids but Water. He numbed the area while I was laying down, he then put the needle in the port and I had to sit up with the needle still inside and I had to drink 2 cups of Water while he was injecting the Fluid into the band... he filled it up until the water was blocked and then taking out some of it so it could go down without any problems... he repeated the same procedure to make sure it was the same amount... I had to drink one more cup of water before I left to make sure the water goes down perfectly fine and that was it. It was not painful at all and I had to stay on liquids for 2 days and then 2 days of mushy food.

I am eating solid foods since Saturday and I feel a good amount of restriction, I cannot eat any beef (no matter how soft and no matter how much sauce is on it) I tried it twice and it got stuck both times. Last night it took me an hour to recover from being stuck. It is not a pleasant feeling at all. My portions are really small and after eating I am not hungry for 4-5 hours. Even my appetite is gone. I have to chew everything very good and it takes me forever to finish my food. This part is more difficult than I thought.

I have lost 5 pounds since my fill and the most part of it was lost since eating solid foods.

I do not know the amount of the fill... My Doctor believes that it is best for me not to obsess with the fill amounts and even though I was disappointed in that very moment, I have to agree with him.

Whatever the fill amount is, it works pretty good for me.

Good luck to all of you and keep us informed how you are doing after your fills.