Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy 55-80 overweight

Ok, I am the new guy here. Let me tell you a bit about myself before I hear what you all have to say.

Pre College weight was 165, I was athletic and had energy. Post college weight was 225. Weight as of 6 months ago was 246. I am currently down to 235 after dieting and trying to exercise. I believe I am a 165 man trapped in a 230+ pound body. I have been dieting and working out for almost 15 years as an overweight person. I feel bad about myself, my cholestral is high and currently using meds to fix. I can't run or do much exercise because the extra weight has caused planter faciatis, horribly painfull to walk.

I am wanting to get the lap band surgery. I know many of you will say that I don't weigh enough or that I could do it on my own without surgery. I couldn't agree more. i have been trying to for years and I am at the end of my rope.

When I look in the mirror I don't see myself but rather myself blown up like a ballon and I am tired of it.

I am looking for your opinion on my situation, whether you agree with me or not, I want to hear it. I need a reality check. I have a beutiful wife, who is in shape and works out every day, who thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this but she will support me if this is something I want. I have two great kids that I am out of breath from just trying to teach them to ride a bike. Sad.

Tell me about yourselves and if you were less than 65 pounds overweight tell me more about yourself and your surgery.

I appreciate your help and opinions.

You have to understand that this isnt a one shot surgery and I am "fixed" kind of thing. There are revisions, complications, appointments to adjust restriction.... point being its a lot of time, money and effort. A doctor is going to tell you that should plan on 50% of your excess weight loss with the band - so for you what is that like 35lbs? I am not sure its worth it for you. That said, and end to the yo-yo dieting might be.

You also have to ask why your fat... Do you have Portion Control issues (I did) or do you eat all day long (I didn't). From what I have seen on here the band seems to work better for folks with portion issues.

Also what do you eat? The band isn't going to help you make the right food choice - you will still have to do that on your own.

I had never been the thin guy - but I am now thanks in part to my band. 296 with a bmi of 42 to 165 in a little over a year, but not without two additional surgeries. But still the best decision I ever made. Good luck

I understand about being at the end of your rope, I have struggled for 20-30 years of my life dieting & exercising as a fat person. I have managed to yo yo between sizes 12-16 & weighing between 180-210 - That is high for a woman, but I managed to wear it well. UP until after I turned 40 2 years ago, i have been steadily gaining more weight & my exercising has been all but nil. Anyway, I think if you don't feel like yourself at 235, you should get this. The lap band is a tool to help you with Portion Control & it is permanent, NO more yo-yoing will happen if you use this tool correctly, and have the restriction at the perfect spot.

I considered the lap band for quite a few years, and am finally getting it on October 19th, I should have gotten it years ago, when I was at a little lower weight, then I wouldn't be struggling right now.

My BMI was 36 and I wanted to lose 65-75 lbs. Insurance ok'd the operation because of other issues but I am so glad I have the band. It is work but I will get to the weight I want to be. I know without the band I would put every pound back on. Do your research and make your decision based on what is best for you and good luck in your journey!

I think all insurance would require that you have a BMI of 40 or 35 + co-morbidities. High blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea. Most doctors require the same even if you are self pay, though I am guessing you can find a doctor to do it if you look hard enough. It is a tough road to go down to lose weight and you give up alot. I am getting the band next week and my head is swimming with everything I will need to do.

Greg