Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Peanut butter toast?

Okay, I'm 2 weeks post-op and on a "bariatric soft" diet. I was told to stay away from carbohydrates. Then I was told that if I had bread to toast it first. Peanut Butter is also listed as a snack for me for this diet phase. What do you guys think? Is a slice of peanut butter toast okay? I know it's not as high in Protein as a scrambled egg, but I'm tired of scrambled eggs! :thumbup:

It sounds like a bad idea so soon out of surgery to test out Peanut Butter and toast together.

I love both but both are iffy bandster foods, meaning some people have problems eating both together and separately. Both Peanut Butter and bread are sticky (toasted only makes it less sticky not unsticky) and can result in being stuck or PBing. Both are dangerous so soon out because the stitches on the stomach haven't fully healed.

oatmeal with a dollop of peanut butter could be a nice alternative right now. I know you are sick of eggs (OMG so was I!) but maybe boiled egg or egg salad could work. If not, I think the recipes forum has recipes for the post surgical stages.

I hope I could help, good luck on your journey!

Edited by chocolate_snaps
Grammar is a must.

In the health/organic food section of our grocery store we have a product called PB2. It is a powdered Peanut Butter. You can make it as thick or as thin as you want. It taste the same as regular peanut butter and my dr. says to go for it. Might want to check and see if your store has anything like that.

IF toast is on your "bariatric soft" list, and "Peanut butter" is also on your bariatric soft list, then yes, you can have them together. I'd clarify that "no carbs but toasted bread is ok" discrepancy before I chowed down, though! :blushing: Realize too as you get more restricted the PB toast may not go down so easily.

personally, I'd stay far far away from Peanut Butter toast 2 weeks post op.

I occasionally have a slice of toast and Peanut Butter for Breakfast, but its a VERY difficult thing to eat (the stickiness of peanut butter combined with bread) and its VERY filling. I think its way too difficult a food for the mushy phase, and quite likely to result in a pb, which you dont want at this stage.

I didnt start mushies till week 3 but I remember after this stage enjoying peanut butter and honey on ryvita crackers VERY much and when I fancy this, I nearly always choose crackers rather than toast now, simply for ease of eating.

perhaps have a spoonful of peanut butter?

Personally, whilst not meaning to be rude to well meaning advice I gaped at powdered peanut butter, lol. Why f-ck with a perfectly good food and make it a powder????????? I just dont understand....... We must be so behind the times downunder, but if this is what we have to look forward to (that and the ORANGE American cheddar i saw in costco when it opened here in Melb), I'd rather stay backward.

Edited by Jachut

Maybe it's designed for hikers? Lighter to carry than traditional Peanut Butter?

Im not sure if you are quite ready for Peanut Butter toast. But if your doc says its ok give it a try. ( personally would wait a few more weeks). that being said i enjoy a slice of multi grain toast with Peanut Butter for Breakfast at least once a week and have never once had a problem with it. It was a favorite of mine even before being banded. Good luck.

And jackie i completely agree about the powder thing. i love my peanut butter and the idea of changing its form like that just seems wrong to me.:blushing:

Thanks for the advice! I did have Peanut Butter toast and it was sooo yummy! I didn't have any problems with it, but I also have no restriction! I agree with Restlessmonkey- I think after I get my first fill it might not go down as easily. It was nice for a change but I'll try to find something else!

I love my JIFF Peanut Butter and can't see myself eating powdered peanut butter, but it's a good idea to make it thinner and easier to go down. :biggrin:

(that and the ORANGE American cheddar i saw in costco when it opened here in Melb),

This is so funny because I think I can speak for all Americans in saying that most all of our cheddar cheese is Orange! Only in the last few years have they come out with "white cheddar". I had no idea our style of cheddar cheese wasn't common everywhere. So funny how different places have different things... :biggrin: Now that Vegamite stuff... still trying to figure out what it is...

costco ... my FAVORITE store!

I'm trying to remember what colour English cheddar cheese is - I haven't lived there for a while.I have a feeling that it is more orange than it is here. They also have a number of other cheeses that have a distinct orange colour e.g Red Leicester.

I think with a lot of these foods its not the colour but the fact that the texture has changed to something which has a consistency similar to plastic. I bought some grated mozzarella recently, it was under the grill for more than 20 minutes and still hadn't melted. YUCK.

We also found a lot of differences in foods when we first moved from the UK to South Africa. All the fruit and veggies in South Africa were much bigger but had no flavour. e.g tomatoes,cucumbers,apples. Bigger is not always better.

Here they have giant strawberries and most of the time they are pretty tasteless.

As for Vegemite it's not quite as good as proper English Marmite but it's almost as good. You just have to know how to eat it properly. Spread it thinly. It's really good with melted cheese and it's very nutritious - full of B Vitamins.Most English kids are brought up on the stuff. I know as a kid we used to have toast soldiers with marmite and PB was almost unheard of so PB is not something that I eat very often.

They have just brought out a new variety of vegemite which is apparently a lot milder and smoother but I haven't tasted that yet.

Okay, I'm 2 weeks post-op and on a "bariatric soft" diet. I was told to stay away from carbohydrates. Then I was told that if I had bread to toast it first. Peanut Butter is also listed as a snack for me for this diet phase. What do you guys think? Is a slice of Peanut Butter toast okay? I know it's not as high in Protein as a scrambled egg, but I'm tired of scrambled eggs! :biggrin:

I love pb on toasted whole wheat bread, but I can't always tolerate it and I don't have real tight restriction. You may want to wait, or at least be willing to stop eating it, no matter how tasty, if you feel there is a problem at all.

American cheese (cheese product because it cannot be legally called cheese) is GROSS! I switched to cheddar slices ages ago.

Yeah, that cheese product is nasty, and don't even get me started about Velveeta.:biggrin: I haven't had that since I left my parents' house.

You have to buy the deluxe American to get cheese. Oh, and the white cheddar is very tasty.

This is so funny because I think I can speak for all Americans in saying that most all of our cheddar cheese is Orange! Only in the last few years have they come out with "white cheddar". I had no idea our style of cheddar cheese wasn't common everywhere. So funny how different places have different things... :biggrin: Now that Vegamite stuff... still trying to figure out what it is...

costco ... my FAVORITE store!

You know, they've just f*cked with Vegemite too :lol: Noooooooo. They've mixed it with cream cheese, so instead of being black, its now the colour and consistency of a good dose of diarrhoea. Vegemite and cheese sandwiches, a classic combo, now there's a competition to name it.

It cant last. Australia will not stand for it.

You can still get regular vegemite thank goodness.

Edited by Jachut