Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Envy?

Tom Petty had it right when he said "the waiting is the hardest part."

I just joined this group and have mostly stayed in the general discussion forum. Everyone there has been so helpful with answering all of my questions, but I can't help but envy them all.

It seems like the waiting will be forever - I can't even get in to see my PCP until the end of the month! After that, heaven only knows how long it will take to get the paperwork submitted. And though I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, I can't help but think I'm going to be denied or they'll tell me I have to do a diet for two years or something. More waiting. Ugh. And if - after years of carrying around an extra 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 pounds - someone actually tells me that I'm not big enough for the surgery, my head will probably explode.

I just wish I could see into the future and know if I get rejected or not. Then I could go on with my life. But for now, I feel like I'm in this sucky holding pattern. Though I'm incredibly happy for everyone making the changes in their lives, it's hard to watch them all move forward while I'm left behind. Does that make any sense?

Is anyone else having the same feelings? Has anyone figured out how to deal with them?

I know exactly how you feel. I am ready to get a zip-tie and a butcher knife to do it myself if I have to. Just prepare yourself. Ins companies are told to say no. Like that commercial with the sky miles thing. You just have to fight for it.

Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Sleepyjean, I had the same experience. In my case, I first heard about the band in the summer of 2002 and spent the next 10 months working through insurance issues. About halfway through that time I withdrew from the online areas I'd been visiting because it was just too hard to think about banding all the time. (LBT hadn't been founded yet but I'd been active on other sites.)

Then the approval came and I was back with a vengeance! Just take deep breaths, that's all you can do. Waiting is indeed the hardest part.

I had that same feeling before my surgery--the stupid lady at my health ins co told me i was approved-i was THRILLED,then my doc called and said that i had been denied because i had no "co-morbidities"-ie. diabetes,etc etc so i called my PC and OBGYN and had them fax over info on my different blood tests ive had showing that i am borderline diabetic and my cholesterol is high for my age,etc and that i have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to lose weight only to gain it back and then some. Plus i wrote my ins co a letter stating that since im so young(22 at the time) i have no co morbidities and that with the way im going im sure i will and then im stuck with diabetes or whatever i get forever,and to prevent that i need it NOW,before i get all those things. and then about a week later i got approved =-) OFFICIALLY this time LOL. I had my surgery less then a month later and all has been wonderful since then--so if you DO get denied-FIGHT FIGHT AND FIGHT SOME MORE! the more proof you show them that you whole-heartedly want this surgery and are ready,theyll approve you (unless of course you dont meet the min requirement of a bmi of at least 40 i believe,then you just have to eat a whole lot.....lol)

Good luck!hope that helped at least a little!

Sleepyjean, I hope you don't have to wait to long but take this time to really reflect on the changes coming your way.

I saw commercials for the band one night and thought "I should look into that - A couple of nights later I saw the same commercial and went right up on the PC and started researching - this must have been sometime in April 05. I downloaded an application from the program that I had decided on an filled it out and took it with me to my first Info meeting - June 8. After the meeting I was so gung ho to do this that I passed in my packet. I had my surgery on Sept 12 - (I didn't need a referal from my PCP because I have a PPO) - in the three months between start and finish I had all my preop tests done and my gallbladder removed - talk about a whirlwind.

I was mentally prepared for the surgery but still felt like it snuck up on me. (I thought 3 months would take forever but it was over in the blink of an eye). Dont get down - you will get here and when you do you may feel like I did - where did all that time go.

Good luck,

Sleepyjean,

Let's put it this way....I was so consumed after I made my first appointment with my surgeon that I completely missed summer.....really, I have no idea where it went, really can't recall parts of it and the months just melded together....

But, now I kind of feel like I was never without my band.....surgery is just memory, I'm a "loser" and lovin' it.

Hang in there.....before you know it you too will be a big "loser"!!!

OK Jean - I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have been fighting those feelings for about a month. I just fight them by repeating this great truth: Life's a bitch, and then you die. I have just been jealous as heck and knowing that somehow, someway, I WILL get a band. If I have to storm the insurance office in my Rambo outfit, or put my husband on the Beans Rice and Top Ramen diet, I will find a way.

After I saw the Blue Cross of CA guideline that says your bmi has to be over 40 and under 50 for the LapBand, I did shed a few tears - but I Refuse to accept that answer. It's crap and I am not going to stand for it. So, I have my $300 check ready to send off to a lawyer and I will fight the insurance company all the way to the State Insurance board, if I have to.

There isn't any way to really deal with the feelings, except to suck it up and deal. If you just assume you will be denied and plan for what happens when you are, then you are a few steps ahead... and if you are NOT denied, then you get a fantastic surprise....

Good Luck.

I'm going freaking INSANE! My visit to the appointment is 13th October which feels like its getting further and further and further away. I saw him the first time 5 weeks ago, feels like 5 years. I wish the blasted receptionist had just told me to go to the information session first before seeing the surgeon, as it was a complete waste of a visit and it is this coming one where he will give me a date for surgery.

I'm just hoping, praying and praying some more that that date will be before Christmas! I really cant stand the thought of waiting into the new year for it. I am ready to lose weight right NOW!

I can so truely relate with you. I started looking into the band in January! It has taken me 9 months so far and the 17th I see my doctor for the date. I figured it will be 10 or 11 months since the beginning.

I am sooo nervous but excited and mad at the same time. It's just not fair to make people wait this long.