Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time poster/surgery on 9-1-09

Hi everyone! My PCP has been talking to me about getting banded for years, but my hubby just wouldn't talk about it. Finally in April I decided that I had to do this for myself. Once I educated my hubby he was on board...

I met my surgeon in April, and they told me I had to do the dreaded *3 month nutrition*. Ugh, I was soooooo disappointed! What a blessing in disguise. Now that my children have started school again, I can't have imagined wasting my summer recovering. I thorougly enjoyed being with my littles.

So... guess what?! 3 months is up! I can't believe that I'm having surgery this coming Tuesday, September 1st. :blushing:

I'm trying super hard not to be nervous! I think the biggest thing making me nervous is lack of weight loss during my pre-op diet. I have lost a few pounds, but nothing close to the 20 lbs I've heard about. Any thoughts?

New to posting on forums, so would LOOOVE some feedback.

CJ :w00t:)

Hi there, I am right with you. I'm hving surgery actually tomorrow. I have been doing the pre op and it sucks...

BUt I did break down yesterday and started crying..I have so many emotions running through my mind. I started talking to my husband and told him to just reassure me that i'm doing the right thing. Thank God he is my supporter and a good one. Right now, i'm just kind of spaced out. lol...I think the surgery part just hit me today. But it is a life changing event...and another reason I felt bad is because food was my comfort blanket and now it soon will be removed. So in all......LOTS OF EMOTIONS...but good luck with your surgery, I will say a prayer for you. We will get through this...everything is going to be OK. bye

Cindy

Cindy, thanks for posting. I am so glad that you have your husband there to support you. Use your faith as your comfort blanket instead. That is one thing I'm working on relying on. Keep in touch, and good luck tomorrow!! I'll be praying for you as well. I can't wait to hear your progress!! Hugs...

Hi Cindy and CJ - we are pretty much all in the same boat...

I just noticed both of you are in your 30's and married and we are all getting lapband around the same time.

I go in on Sept 4th :blushing:

Just think it is pretty neat and would love to keep in contact with both of you so we can help and push each other when we can't turn to the comfort of food, or are faith, or are husbands are not available or don't know what we are going through to help support us.

My husband has been such a big supporter but you know there is going to be that time when it is going to be you just don't understand....I had that last night with my hunger pains. He did good and helped me remember why I am going through all of this.

CJ - What kind of pre op diet are you on? I think as long as you have lost some weight that is the right start. I have lost 10 pounds. I am on the Optifast diet. All liquid based...but I have cheated here and there. Nothing to much. (Hard boiled egg, just the whites, slice of cheese, and a few bites of sausage)

If you are really worried about the amount of loss I would call the doctors office and just make sure you are doing good.

The main thing from what I understand with most suregons (including mine) is having the liver shrink so it is easier and less challenging/dangerous for them. From what I have read is the liver can get easily brusied up if it is too tight to get around. But that the surgeon won't do it if they feel there is too much a risk.

Cindy - best of luck to you tomorrow. Please make sure to let us know how it goes. And I will say a little prayer for you too for a fast recovery.

I heard the gas is the worst part. A lot of people have said get up and walk around a little bit as soon as you can and that will really help to relieve the pain.

Just think it would be neat for us to keep in touch again like I mentioned all being in our 30's and banded with in days of each other. We will really understand what each other is going through and be there to support each other. :w00t:

Hi All:

I am 32 and my fiancee is not 100% supportive... he says he loves me the way I am... that I'm thich not fat and that I really don't need it. I think a lot of it is fear that I might become another person once the weight starts coming off. Truth be told... I love him and I will never stray

Good luck to all.

I have my final appointmeny with the surgeon 9-8-09 ... I hope getting my lap band soon! yay!

I am also having surgery 9/1...just a few days! I am excited but also having those mixed emotions....I start my 3 day all clear liquid diet on Saturday.

My husband is totally supportive, he knew me when I was "small," so no doubt he is looking forward to the old me returning.

I also have 4 kids and thinking it may be difficult cooking for everyone...I am the only cook in the family. But I know we will work it out.

Good luck to all. :thumbup:

Cortney, band it, colorado mom... I just wanted to let you all know I read your post!! This is going to be sooooo cool to have friends to talk to that are in the same stage as me.

I have never posted on forums before. I have to get used to replying etc. How do I find the original post on this page? I just clicked through the link on my email. I'm lost and need to learn my way around this place...

Cortney, band it, colorado mom... I just wanted to let you all know I read your post!! This is going to be sooooo cool to have friends to talk to that are in the same stage as me.

I have never posted on forums before. I have to get used to replying etc. How do I find the original post on this page? I just clicked through the link on my email. I'm lost and need to learn my way around this place...

If you go to the top of the screen, click on User CP and you will be able to see the threads you have posted to. This is also where you can change or add to your signature, just look at the options on the left once you are on the main page of User CP.

Great to hear from you!:w00t:

I'm so excited for all of you!!! I wish I was right along with you but hopefully, I won't be too far behind.

I'll be following your journey and offering any encouragement I can!

Girls I can not wait to be where I want to be... I have lined up all my skinny jeans! I can not wait to fit back into my clothes... I am sick of wearing dresses!

The only bad thing about this is that I find myself eating more lately b/c I have I am going to have the lap band

:w00t:

If you go to the top of the screen, click on User CP and you will be able to see the threads you have posted to. This is also where you can change or add to your signature, just look at the options on the left once you are on the main page of User CP.

Great to hear from you!:w00t:

Thank you! That helped...

Girls I can not wait to be where I want to be... I have lined up all my skinny jeans! I can not wait to fit back into my clothes... I am sick of wearing dresses!

The only bad thing about this is that I find myself eating more lately b/c I have I am going to have the lap band

:w00t:

Chele, I think it's the rebel in us. I also think it's the fear of us knowing that we're not going to be able to pig out like we used to. I went into the summer knowing that in 3 months I was going to get the lapband. So, what did I do? I gained 10 lbs over summer. I ate out a lot with my family and had fun!! LOL I noticed on your ticker that you're only 187? lbs. Are you heavy enough for the lapband? I'm not minimizing your weight by any means. I know we're all unhappy with our weight. I just thought there were stricter rules?

I was the same way when it came to pigging out. As soon as I got the approval and scheduled my surgery all I did was tell my husband I won't be able to eat this much longer...can I have this and that. LOL I love food so much...can't wait till I can eat something!!!

Also girls I did start a Yahoo Group where we can all stay in touch. If you are being banded in Aug/Sept/Oct please feel free to join. :) Here is a copy of my post in the Sept area. :wink2:

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!! And a much better week to come :ohmy:

*****************************************************************************************

I did start a yahoo group for all of us in September. I am including Aug & Oct, specially the ones at the end of Aug and beginning of Oct. My thought...those in August are a little more ahead of some of us and then we can help the ones in September. One big happy family and push and encourage each other.

I choose Yahoo over, Windows Live and Google groups (I created a group on each one) because Yahoo has the biggest storage of photos!!! Also their storage for files is also pretty big and does not count against your photo storage space.

I will still come to the board to post. But I thought this would be a really nice way to keep in touch, share recipes, encourage, do challenges with each other, photos, etc. Since we are all going through this together and at the same time. Plus you can get everything emailed to you and reply right through the email to the whole group.

So if you would like to join and have a nice Bandster family come on over and sign up! :blush:

You do have to have a Yahoo ID to be part of the group. To get one sign up here - https://edit.yahoo.com/registration?...oups.yahoo.com

Also when you apply to be a member just let me know you are part of the lap band forum or when your surgery date is/was. I don't just want to let anyone join at this time.

Okay hope everyone had a great weekend. If the link to join below does not work I will edit until I can get it to work.

:wink2:

Click to join banded909 - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/banded909/join

Edited by Cortney75
spacing :)

I will be having surgery tommorow and am extremely nervous. But reading all the post has made me feel so much more relaxed and so ready to do this.

Won't be long now! I am packing for my drive to the hospital (about 6-7 hours from here), staying overnight in a hotel then surgery at 1030! So psyched. I know you all are too!