Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Every1's watchin what i eat & i hate it!

You know, I think a lot of ya'll who have this "problem" have it because of a different "Problem"...you are nice and polite! LOL Because I'm named Jeff but am (and have always been) a female, and because I grew up in the 50's and early 60's (when people weren't named things like moonbeam and antfarm...that came later) I got a lot of SNOTTY comments on my name. Most often it was "Oh your daddy must have wanted a son". Now, that is a tacky thing to say to a 5 year old girl. :thumbup:

But early on I developed snappy comebacks. My best, developed when I was a very pretty, feminine, petite 16 year old was this: "Oh, your daddy must have wanted a boy" me: "Well, I used to be" blink blink

So I've learned to counterattack quickly; you guys are polite! :)

LOL OMG...I only had one person do that to me and it turned to bite her in the butt!! We were at a luncheon with a buffet, we both went up together, I took a spoonful of 3 or 4 items, SHE heaped her plate. When we were back at the table along with everyone else, she asked if I was "allowed" to eat the one scallop wrapped in bacon I took. I po-liet-ly responded "I can now eat anything I want in modest portions and the one thing I have learned is that I no longer feel the emotional need to pile my plate so high I need a second plate for the overhang"!! She looked at her plate, her face went gray (with a very pink blush), pushed half her food onto a another plate and buried it under a napkin. I continued talking to the rest of the table as if nothing happened. That was the first and last time anyone said anything to me.

I have people checking up on me sometimes too, but nearly to the degree some of you are talking about. Sorry about that, it sucks.

I am 33 and work with 2 ladies in their late 50s, early 60s. They are both overweight and are fascinated by the lapband. I do "show and tell" before lunch everyday for them because they are curious how much I can eat now. They are not catty about it, at first they thought they could see what I eat and then eat the same amount...that is until they saw the portion size I eat! :thumbup:

The truth is, having seen a nutritionist, you likely know more about nutrition than they do...maybe they need a lesson based on what THEY are eating!! Hang in there everyone, we are doing great and have taken a giant step toward a healthier life.

If this is your family members, then sit them down and let them read your diet directions. If it's other people, consider the source and let it go. It's none of their business what you eat.

Thing with me is that Im younger, so when older family members say ignorant things I cant really disrespect them. I'll roll my eyes and say something and keep it moving. But when my younger cousin or sister says stuff then I'll just go off. So its kinda different, theres just no explaining anything cuz the older 1's think they know it all

I get it occasionally from my mother who had bypass. She refuses to understand that I do not dump with a band. Our surgeon has explained it, I've explained it, I've sent her links that explain it and I still sometimes get OMG YOU'RE EATING THAT? Other times she's like hey! let's go get some ice cream! Or hey! your dad and I stopped at the ice cream place and got you a large cone! It makes no sense at all.

I get it occasionally from my mother who had bypass. She refuses to understand that I do not dump with a band. Our surgeon has explained it, I've explained it, I've sent her links that explain it and I still sometimes get OMG YOU'RE EATING THAT? Other times she's like hey! let's go get some ice cream! Or hey! your dad and I stopped at the ice cream place and got you a large cone! It makes no sense at all.

LMAO same with my mom...at times she'll be like "ok dont eat that, eat this instead"...or "your eating too much" but then later she'll order KFC and give me fried chicken

Don't you hate when the people who kno about ur surgury are watchin what u eat? Its so annoying! I never asked anyone 2 b my doctor! They dont need to tell me what to eat! I feel like im in jail! They all act like I cant eat ANYTHING! Just cuz I had 2 do the stupid liquid diet for 4 weeks, they think I have to be on that for the rest of my life! Like give me a freakin break! I move on to soft foods and they acting like I cant do that. And solids are like Im disobeying my diet to them..Im 1 month post op if I want a small portion of rice let me freakin have it! Im human just like everybody else and it makes me mad when people look at me like Im some alien just because im eating chicken! Like what the hell do u exspect me to eat? salade and Water all day?!?! Its like they want to see me starve and thats how Im suppost to lose weight in their eyes. B4 the lap band, ppl would be like "u shouldnt be eatin all of that" buttt now after the lap band they wanna be like "ARE YOU SUPPOST 2 BE EATING THAT?!" or "ISNT THE LAP BAND SUPPOST 2 B MAKING U EAT LESS"...Like no shit dumbass I have no fill n no restriction, Im still hungry. I'll be gettin my first fill in like 2 days. This is not a miracle weight loss plan its going to take time. It took time for me to gain weight it will take some time to lose it. Im just gettin frustrated with ppl looking to see what I eat. I have to defend myself all the time and yell at them because they are so IGNORANT! They cant ever look at the positive things that I did. Such as gettin up every morning to walk 4 miles and at night another 4 miles. Drink Water constantly and I watch my calorie intake. I lost 19 pounds so far, maybe more, I'll know when I go to the doctor. But nobody wants to see that, they just look at what I put in my mouth! But I got so fed up with the bullshit I just ignore negative comments. Anybody else going thru this?

Just wait until you start dropping weight and start getting smaller than the plate police. The second that happens they start telling you that you're getting to thin. Then they start pushing food in your face all the damn time!! I went out to dinner with some of my girls a few weeks ago. The same people that counted my calories a few months ago were damn near calling me anorexic! After too many cracks about what i wasnt eating, i told them to kiss my rapidly shrinking ass. Good luck! you are gonna be fabulous

Just wait until you start dropping weight and start getting smaller than the plate police. The second that happens they start telling you that you're getting to thin. Then they start pushing food in your face all the damn time!! I went out to dinner with some of my girls a few weeks ago. The same people that counted my calories a few months ago were damn near calling me anorexic! After too many cracks about what i wasnt eating, i told them to kiss my rapidly shrinking ass. Good luck! you are gonna be fabulous

lol Thanks Jennifer! n congratz

At first I mostly got "OMG you are NOT eating enough". "That can't be healthy". I no longer work with the people I worked with when I started this journey so most of the people I eat with are either so used to the way I eat or have no idea about the band so they don't say anything!

But, Jennifer is right. Next comes, you can't lose THAT much more weigt.

When my best friend was no happy with my goal weight of 145 I asked how much she weighed? 135. So I asked why was it ok for her to weigh less than my goal? Just because she is used to me being so much bigger doesnt mean I can't/shouldn't be as small as other people! Sorta put it into perspective for her! I think one thing...when you say my goal is 70 more lbs people can not put that into perspective as much as I want to weigh 145.

Anyways...it will get easier...and people will eventually stop saying stuff as your eating gets more normal and they are just used to it...

At first I mostly got "OMG you are NOT eating enough". "That can't be healthy". I no longer work with the people I worked with when I started this journey so most of the people I eat with are either so used to the way I eat or have no idea about the band so they don't say anything!

But, Jennifer is right. Next comes, you can't lose THAT much more weigt.

When my best friend was no happy with my goal weight of 145 I asked how much she weighed? 135. So I asked why was it ok for her to weigh less than my goal? Just because she is used to me being so much bigger doesnt mean I can't/shouldn't be as small as other people! Sorta put it into perspective for her! I think one thing...when you say my goal is 70 more lbs people can not put that into perspective as much as I want to weigh 145.

Anyways...it will get easier...and people will eventually stop saying stuff as your eating gets more normal and they are just used to it...

I can understand that. I have a hard time thinking that I will actually make it to a goal of 140, but that's because hello I've been fat my whole life there is no way I can reach that weight lol I guess friends have the same problem, trying to imagine us at that weight.

I loved your post. I lmao too, I think it's so funny I went to a restaurant with an acquaintance and had a small wrap she said "You Ate that All" I would have had that and a side dish and desert without the band.

Don't you hate when the people who kno about ur surgury are watchin what u eat? Its so annoying! I never asked anyone 2 b my doctor! They dont need to tell me what to eat! I feel like im in jail! They all act like I cant eat ANYTHING! Just cuz I had 2 do the stupid liquid diet for 4 weeks, they think I have to be on that for the rest of my life! Like give me a freakin break! I move on to soft foods and they acting like I cant do that. And solids are like Im disobeying my diet to them..Im 1 month post op if I want a small portion of rice let me freakin have it! Im human just like everybody else and it makes me mad when people look at me like Im some alien just because im eating chicken! Like what the hell do u exspect me to eat? salade and Water all day?!?! Its like they want to see me starve and thats how Im suppost to lose weight in their eyes. B4 the lap band, ppl would be like "u shouldnt be eatin all of that" buttt now after the lap band they wanna be like "ARE YOU SUPPOST 2 BE EATING THAT?!" or "ISNT THE LAP BAND SUPPOST 2 B MAKING U EAT LESS"...Like no shit dumbass I have no fill n no restriction, Im still hungry. I'll be gettin my first fill in like 2 days. This is not a miracle weight loss plan its going to take time. It took time for me to gain weight it will take some time to lose it. Im just gettin frustrated with ppl looking to see what I eat. I have to defend myself all the time and yell at them because they are so IGNORANT! They cant ever look at the positive things that I did. Such as gettin up every morning to walk 4 miles and at night another 4 miles. Drink Water constantly and I watch my calorie intake. I lost 19 pounds so far, maybe more, I'll know when I go to the doctor. But nobody wants to see that, they just look at what I put in my mouth! But I got so fed up with the bullshit I just ignore negative comments. Anybody else going thru this?

Seriously! I get the SAME thing. I'm like, "Ok, you eat ONLY what is on this piece of paper FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" and see how you like it. My nurse said, "If you want chocolate, eat chocolate. Just have a little and very infrequently so you don't feel as though you are denying yourself."

People can be very judgemental and jealous and I think that is why they react with either sabbotage or extreme "food policing".

As long as you are doing what is right and healthy for YOU, that is all that matters!

:thumbdown:

PS - I was banded on 7/20, we're almost the same date!

Ditto that Moxie DO! I didn't tell anyone, but my hubby and my daughter. My mother doesn't even know. I didn't want the food police on me. My husband thought it was because I was ashamed of having the surgery. It wasn't shame it was avoiding being annoyed!

I didnt tell everybody..Everybody else told everybody lol

Yep I am in the same exact boat you are! I wanted to keep this a secret from most of my extended family-as they are very judgemenal, plus I'm not close to them so didn't feel they deserved to know. I told ONE aunt I am close to and surprise! My grandma's blowing up my moms phone about it!! While they are for the most part supportive-they say things like "Good for her! as long as she doesn't blow it!"..those are the things I would give my left arm not to hear. It just burns me up like I'm trying to do right by this-yet still the negativity. I also was at lunch with the same aunt, she was talking about a women who lost a bunch of weight and my mom asked how and if she suspected surgery. My aunt responds with "Oh no shes not THAT big!" right in front of me :unsure: Needless to say..I cleared my throat rather loud at that point. Like I'm sitting right here and I just had surgery 6 weeks ago! Back it up dude. I am in the same boat as you-I have my first fill tomorrow and as for right now am just trying to stay within my calories and biking 7 miles a day. Hang in there girl-I'm right there w/ ya! We are better then that and don't have to worry about others and what they eat to take those sort of comments personaly. Keep your head up and good luck!:thumbdown: