Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't been banded yet, Sept 8, am I allowed to be posting with all you seniors if I am not even a freshman? lol

But even now I can't eat french fries and a burger from Mc D's. YUCK! All that grease bothers me for the rest of the night.

But I did have to say to congrats to RESTLESSMONKEY. Boy do I remember the days I took my boards. Way back then we took them in two days for 4 hours in the morning, 4 in the afternoon each day. And we didn't find out we passed for 2 weeks.

And none of us have to be nice to people like the OP talks about. Those are the ones who ruin the chances of others from getting insurance to pay for this surgery that oculd save our lives. If it doesn't work for a good majority of the people it will not be covered.

We all give you permission to smack her around a little.

Peggie

Thank you Mickey 527. I love the Mouse too; in fact I have a Mickey Mouse door bell. :o

I would be annoyed as well. She will learn from her mistakes the hard way.

My sister's best friend had the band done only a few days ago. She's always been a very big girl and has a serious sweet tooth. I"ve seen her polish off a half gallon of ice cream in 1 sitting multiple occasions. And that's not being snarky or judgemental cuz i've mindlessly polised off half a bag of chips more times than i can count. I actually tried to get her to consider bypass as opposed to band due to the sweet tooth.

Well she calls me today to say she feels really sick. Well the 1st thing i told her was to call her doc ASAP. then i ask, what have you been eating. Then she proceeds to tell me that for starters she drove her kids to McDonalds and ate fries and half a cheese burger. Then she proceeds to tell me she dosen't care for the liquid diet so she's been eating ice cream and has had a few Cookies. Now let me also state that she is in the same bariatric practice that i am. So i know for a fact she's been properly educated on the diet. They give a great book that's very specific to all patients. And have at least 2 visits with a nutritionist.

Well i kinda snapped. i started off by telling her what an idiot she was for driving with her 2 small children just a few days post op cuz she wants a milkshake and fries. If you wanna kill yourself then feel free.

i then proceeded to direct her to this site to look up some of the horror stories that can happen to people who slip or errode their band.

She then tries to tell me that im just being bitchy cuz im afraid she'll get skinnier than me. I prettty much told her to kiss my ass and make sure she called her doctor. I then hung up the phone. :)

Thanks guys. Just had to vent about this.

Uh....... your sister's friend is a dumb ass :thumbup: I don't blame you for going off on her.

i mean i felt like crap a few days afterwards. i was happy to stick to popcicles and broth i was so miserable. and i have head hunger issues of my own but i can't fathom what thoughts would lead her to think she could eat like this just a few days post-op. Im still pissed but i will call her tomorrow and make sure she's ok

I'm with you. It will be 2 weeks since surgery for me on Tuesday and I can't imagine eating "regular" food yet. Shoot, I am a little worried about moving on to pureed food this coming Wednesday.

Like the old saying goes....

You can lead a horse to Water but you can't make him drink.

Some people need to make their own mistakes in life to learn valuable lessons.

Wow... crazy that she didn't think that there could be SERIOUS complications from that eating behavior so soon after the surgery. It is outright DANGEROUS. I wouldn't want to put my family through me being ill by my own malicious behavior... it is sad really. She must have more serious issues than the obvious.

I hope for her, and her family's sake, she realizes what she could be doing to herself and gets back on track... and that there wasn't/isn't too much damage done.

she most definitely had a psych eval. my office makes everone have one. i really do want her to succeed. i've known her forever, her and my sister used to paly dress up in my clothes and make up as little girls. but i honestly don't think she was emotionally ready for the band or any other WLS. Hopefully she will turn things around. and im very worried about her slipping her band. i mean i felt like crap a few days afterwards. i was happy to stick to popcicles and broth i was so miserable. and i have head hunger issues of my own but i can't fathom what thoughts would lead her to think she could eat like this just a few days post-op. Im still pissed but i will call her tomorrow and make sure she's ok

Do you think there are really many offices that deny people the band due to their psych exam? I doubt it or I'm sure a lot less people would have the band and also there would be less failures. I think they suggest counseling, but don't reject many people due to their exam.

Make sure you offer to watch her kids when she needs to go back in the hospital to have the band removed.

Thats what nice people do [insert smilie for middle finger here]

You did all you could do, if she actually comes to you for advice, make sure you remind her that she has everything from the surgeons office to look at for guidance.

Jennifer, your friend must be out of her mind! Seriously, I agree with one of the other posters that the psych eval is sometimes a joke -I was sent to their 'preferred doc' and she practically guided me in making the 'correct' responses.

I think she would be best off to immediatly begin psychological counseling, but I doubt if she would take that advice either and that is sad.

I'm eating 'regular' foods now and am nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs everytime I eat a new food.< /p>

I ate watermelon the other day and was so scared that it was too stringy that I gave up even though I've been craving whole fruits.

And a shout out to Restless, who does not pat me on the head, but rather gives me a good NCIS thump :glare:when I go crazy and mess up.

Advise your friend to go for therapy and then wash your hands of the whole matter.

Well I gave myself a few days to cool off. And called only to found out she's still eating whatever the hell she wants. Had been snacking on chips and ice cream all weekend. My sister told me she even ate ham. I'm just gonna stay away cuz I don't trust myself not to try and slap some sense into her now. She may think she can do what she wants now cuz she has no restriction. But I think I'd like to see what happens when she tries to scarf down a cheeseburger right after a fill. She's gonna be in a new world of PBing and puking hurt. And that's even if she gets a fill. My surgeon is realistic and knows no one eats right every second of the day. But he has a strict rule about not filling people who aren't even trying at all. If she slips her band than oh well her problem. If she calls and honestly wants help then i will try to stear her in the right direction. But until then I'm not gonna aggravate myself further.

Jennifer,

Sorry to hear about the idiot. I don't think there's much hope that she'll ever get a fill. You've tried, you've warned her. If you gotta slap her, go for it! No, really, you probably have to back away for awhile. Maybe she'll get some sense and figure out WTH she's doing. You can't force her to eat responsibly.

Take care of yourself!

TPG

Have you thought about telling the surgeon on her? That's crossed my mind a few times.

She is dangerously risking her life. She is plain foolish in the bargain. She needs help before deeper complications arise. I think I would tell the doctor (if you have the same one) or least tell the nurse and ask her to relay the message. It can be done without her knowing you did it. You might save her life.

She OBVIOUSLY doesn't realize the band is just a TOOL! Just because she now has the band in place it won't magically make the excess weight disappear. I'd be willing to be she will be the first one to complain that the band didn't work for her. How irritating when there are many out there who want the band yet can't have it done because their insurance won't approve it, and here's this nitwit who has the band and doesn't use it to their advantage. What a waste.