Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about protica protein bullets

I have heard a lot of people say these taste good..one post on this forum described them as "syrupy and sweet"..I love sweet stuff..really sweet...you are talking to a person who drank 300mg of pure glucose for a glucoser tolerance test and liked it...it makes a lot of people throw up...

so if I thought that I would totally drink it...but I bought one...saw it at my local CVS..they just started to carry it...put it in my fridge for no more than 48hrs opened it all excited to drink it and it smelled HORRID..I mean HORRID...the best way I can describe it is rotten meat in a tube..but even that doesnt do a justise...since the smell almost made me puke..and did not smell AT ALL sweet, nor did it smell like fresh citrus berry or any part of that name I chickened out and could not bring myself to drink it....I cant imagine if they smelled like this that they would be on the market for even a day...

I know some of proticas products have been recalled by the FDA, but I checked the lot number on my cap and it did not match with any of them..it has an exp. date of 12/2010...

is it possible that I could have gotten mine from an unknown recalled lot? or is it more likely that I spoiled it my leaving in in the fridge (unopened) for 48hrs (I wouldnt think this is true as protica boasts about the long shelf life of their products)

has anyone had this experience with the protica profect 2.9oz 25gram Protein bullets?? please help..I was so excited to try this new find and was grossly dissapointed....

try the Protein Shots from costco -- definitely syrupy and sweet (which I don't like) but can tolerate for just 2.6 oz and 25 grams of Protein. Usually pinch my nose when I go for the first gulp-- with a glass of Water in the other hand -- but they go down fast and I can handle them better than a 30 gram chocolate shake. The orange flavor is better than the fruit punch.

thanks for the tip Kdbub, but I have never seen those Protein drinks (or anything like that) in any store in my area and now that these are 1/4 mile from my house, I would like to be able to enjoy them and I would just like to know if thats just the way these things smell, or if I got a rancid one?? I dont want to get sick off of it....I havent puked in since 1999..trying to set a record lol..:)

plus..I dont have costco in my area...it's BJ's

Edited by cduval04
addendum

Mix it with a water bottle of flavored crystal lite.

I do that with the New Whey bullets and it is great. Walmart has them for 1.97 each, so I buy 10 every payday, then when i need some extra Protein I have it, I get the fruit punch and mix it with either fruit punch, cherry berry, cherry limeade or just plain lemonade. It isn't that bad that way, I could not imagine drinking it like a shooter, I did that one time and said never again.

I like the orange flavored - 3.5oz and I've gotten half my Protein for the day - 42g. Also, I appreciate the fact that there's no after taste. I hate prolonging the sip, sip, sip... of drinking the shakes (can't stand) and other products. I tend to have 1/2 bottle of isupure (grape frost) for Breakfast and the other 1/2 after lunch; then I have the protein shot late evening before bedtime and I'm guaranteed to get the 80g the dr requires daily.

try the Protein shots from costco -- definitely syrupy and sweet (which I don't like) but can tolerate for just 2.6 oz and 25 grams of Protein. Usually pinch my nose when I go for the first gulp-- with a glass of Water in the other hand -- but they go down fast and I can handle them better than a 30 gram chocolate shake. The orange flavor is better than the fruit punch.

hi I am kind of bringing this thread back to life, I was persuing surgery last year and then got cold feet, partly because I had a 7 month wait for my initial consult, so there was too much time to think. But I have switched hospitals, now have a consultation date for 4/13 and surgery is in my near future, and protein is NOT my thing, but I am going to have to get used to it. 60grams a day is my post op amount, so if I can find a brand of these bullets or a way to prepare them that does not nasueate me, all I would need is one a day, and I could get the rest of my protein elsewhere. (there are these really good shakes, the only high Protein Shake I have found that I enjoy from worldwide protein they come in a 12oz can and they have 23 grams for 100cal can or 32 grams for 160 cal can),

but if Kdub is still around, could u tell me if they sell they Protein Shots from costco at BJ's (I think they own each other?) and what is the brand? cuz u said syrupy sweet and that is the only thing that appeals to me, if I mix that with crystal lite or Vitamin Water zero I think I might be able to deal.....

also, ive read about unflavored Protein powder, could you recommend a brand? and can it be purchased at a store like GNC or Walmart so I dont have to pay for shipping?

I am sensitive to the taste of high concentrations of protein, yet ironically, I want to get the bulk of my protein down as quick and as tasteless as possible, so if you have any tips for that challenge, feel free to share!

thanks

ok thanks anyway for the response....does anyone have any other good finds for the sensitive pallete to Protein?....is that tasteless powder any good? if so, are there brands that have more Protein per serving than others/less calories??

thanks!

I like the Unjury unflavored powder. For 80 cals it has 20 grams of protien. I mix it into Soup (watch the temp before adding or it get ickky), crystal light, mashed potatoes, hot cereal....

Lots of Proteins have a gross baby-formula-ish smell/taste.

The tubes are, IMO, among the worst. They also do not tend to contain much of the most bioavailable Protein.

I strongly prefer the Inspire Proteins from bariatriceating.com. They totally lack the protein-y smell/taste, and can be mixed with just 4 ounces of Water, if getting volume is a problem for you.

They taste great. I mean, not "I can tolerate this" good, but "this is something I'd actually choose to eat" good. Even postop I continue to have their dutch chocolate Protein in warm almond milk every morning. A scoop of Pom Razz Sangria in Crystal Light lemonade is really, really good, too.

Their PURE unflavored whey protein isolate is also outstanding--it can be mixed into food and liquid and is undetectable. (It does turn clear Soups cloudy,but that's all the evidence of its presence it leaves.)

I think the bullets are gross, gimmicky, and subpar, protein-wise. I know lots of people rely on them, but protein supplements are expensive---I'd rather spend my $$ on protein my body can absorb (and that does not make me gag!)

ETA: There's a definite technique for adding protein to warm/hot foods. First, you have to mix it into a paste with cool/room temp Water. Then you have to very slowly temper the protein by v.e.r.y slowly stirring in the warm liquid (or gradually stirring in a bit of warm food at a time). This prevents the protein from clumping up and forming an inedible blob of grossness!

Edited by BetsyB

Definitely, I would try the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein...I've had good luck mixing the unflavored with all kinds of things so far, both warm and cold. The chicken Soup flavor is good, too.

I would suggest visiting the Bariatric Eating website- there are LOTS of options available made up of the most bioavailable Proteins (look for either whey isolate or soy)...unfortunately, those bullets with "whey" in the title are NOT made from the best whey Protein. They have free shipping for orders over a certain amount (I think it's $75).

I've been very pleased with all of the products I've gotten from them so far.

Hope this helps!

Christine