Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long btwn bowel movements ??

Okay...yes I know this right off the bat is a TMI thread but I'm sure Im not the only one with this type of question..so here it goes...

How many days between bowel movements have you guys expereinced after surgery ?

I had one 3 days post op and then one the day after but it's been 3 days since then and I've got nothing !! should I take a laxative w/ stool softener ?? I've always been VERY regular !!! :)

Edited by formerfatchick
spelling

Hey lady. I didn't have my first one until the 4th day of surgery and then I had my second one on the same day (today). My doctor prescribed my a stool softener pill, but the pharmacist actually suggested something less harsh. I took the pharmacist up on his advice, and I'm so glad I did. If you don't want to go the harsh laxative route might I suggest Pedia-Lax. It's a liquid stool softener that you mix with juice or milk and it's generally meant for children. Anyway, I haven't felt like I've taken a laxative at all besides the yucky taste of the stuff. Also, are you still taking your pain meds? The pain meds will back you up, so you might find that you're more regular when you stop taking them if you're still on them. Just my two cents.

i had my first two days post op...and then a little everyday. very little...and gross.lol TMI... GREEN. Why i dont know because i am on clears... im sure it will be a while before we are all reg again

Hey guys, my surgery was Friday and all day today (sunday) I have had constant diarrhea. I called the hospital, they said it could be due to the antibiotics I was given in the hospital. I have been doing good taken fluids in, but having a horrible time getting any Protein in.

my protien intake hasnt been that good either.. it is getting better though as the days progress... im seeing...:) good luck

I cannot go either. I may have a small amount, but nothing major.

I did not have a bowel movement for 5 days after surgery. I called my surgeon after the third day and she said it was ok to wait it out but if it persisted by the 5th day to call. I had a BM on the 5th day and have been completely regular ever since. I am actually more regular now than I ever was before. I am sure due to eating better.

i had my first two days post op...and then a little everyday. very little...and gross.lol TMI... GREEN. Why i dont know because i am on clears... im sure it will be a while before we are all reg again

Talk to your Dr. about the Green, you may have contracted c. diff while in the hospital.

Yesterday afternoon was the 1st day since my aug. 11 surgery that I have not had diarrhea. I called my doctor's office yesterday to ask if I could take a chewable Fiber supplement figuring it would help "solidify" things and they said that I could and that it should help.

okay here I am day 5 and nothing..zippo..zilch !! I've had 2 doses of the pedia lax..next step putting fiberall into every GD thing that goes into my mouth, if that doesnt work in another 48 hrs I think I need to go the glycerin suppositories route ??!!! AHHHHHH !!! :D

okay here I am day 5 and nothing..zippo..zilch !! I've had 2 doses of the pedia lax..next step putting fiberall into every GD thing that goes into my mouth, if that doesnt work in another 48 hrs I think I need to go the glycerin suppositories route ??!!! AHHHHHH !!! :D

MOM (Milk of Magnesia) helped me a lot and I take it regularly now. Not every day but 4 or 5 days a week. I never want to be as "backed up" as I was a couple of weeks after surgery.

Good luck!

Former.. I love your new picture.. that's freaking hilarious! Have you contacted your doctor at all about this? I think that might be a good idea. Anyway, take care lady! Hope relief comes soon.

I went 4 days post-op..... and the second time I went was six days later. That was 3 days ago.

I figure with all this liquid, there isn't enough solids to even produce a BM.

I was an every day girl.... now I seem to be every 4-6 days. Yikes.

However.... I'm not in any distress, so I'm not going to worry about it! I'm tooting like I'm supposed to, so I'm not concerned :D

The thing to remember is drink enough liquids, eat the recommended amount of Protein (getting solids in helps regulate)

If it doesn't help, try Fleet laxatives. It is the size of a birth control pill, so it won't get stuck.

You won't see good weight loss if your "backed up". As long as you don't abuse them, it should do the trick.

Good luck!

My Dr. recommended Miralax which has helped me... usually works..I took Milk of Magnesia after not going for 3 days and I had diarhea for 2 days!!! lol. i will stick with the Miralax!