Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration

Does anyone else have absolutely no desire to eat or drink anything? That's me right now. I'm pretty sure I'm pretty dehydrated because of it, but I can barely bring myself to take sips and I'm worried that it will hurt if I try to drink more or faster.

I still hardly drink or eat anything! and I am 10 days post-op! I take 3 or 4 spoonfuls of yougurt or Jello and I am done for a few hours! Protein Shakes I take sip by sip...and Water I try to force some down throughout the day! Just do smal sips and small spoons at first...if you can only have one spoon of broth or jello at a time start out that way. Don't let yourself get dehydrated!! Someone I know who had WLS suggested sucking oh peices of ice or ice chips, It goes down slowly but helps hydration also.

I've had no problems drinking, but did allow myself get dehydrated yesterday to the point of feeling like I was freezing. I set a timer and did my four ounces every 15 minutes, and today I feel much better, both mentally and physically.

Hang in there girlies it will get better.

I totally get the not feeling like drinking. It was 5:30pm yesterday before anything passed my lips!

Hugs Patty

It is sooooo important to at least sip on Water throughout the day. Dehydration is not a path you want to go down, it can creep up on you and then cause a handful of problems. It's especially not good while your body is trying to heal!

Try to really focus on how much water you're getting in. If you notice you aren't peeing as much, or your pee is really dark, concentrated and smells strong, please call your doctor!

I keep an 8oz glass of ice Water by my side all day and try to drink at least one every other hour. Sometimes one every hour. It is really important to continue to drink water just as unforgettable says. You could try warmer liquids as well. They might go down easier. Good luck Abby!

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I'm getting better at drinking my fluids, and I'm getting braver about how much I drink at a time too. Seems like every day I improve a little bit.

Hey Abby, I think it started like that for all of us, it does get better but you just need to keep reminding yourself to do it. I've been bad about this and was shocked into shape when my pee was amber !!! So sip sip sip. Kelloggs makes a lemonade powder to add to Water that has 5g of Protein so you can knock 2 in one.

Let me tell you the dehydration is no joke. It came over me quick - mostly because I didnt know the warning signs - muscle spams, fatigue etc. But I passed out on a subway - hit my head on the floor, spent the morning in the ER! As bad as it was - I was lucky - what if I had been driving?

Point being - watch the Water table!!!

I've been having a hard time wanting to eat, the reality being that I don't want any of the things I am allowed at this point--jellow, broth, Protein Shakes, milk, apple sauce or yogurt. . .so I am just not eating till I feel light headed. . .not really "hungry per say" but definately not right. . .I had to force my self to sit and eat today. . .and now I feel better. . . I feel like I am barely getting in 500 calories a day. . .do you think that is alright???:thumbup:

DO888 you need to speak with your surgeon about this. But getting light headed throughout the day is typically not a NORMAL thing. Even if you don't like what you're supposed to eat, eat it for your health. You'll eventually be able to eat regular food again, so just stick in there.

Unforgettable. . .Thanks! This was the first day I felt like totally refusing to eat. . .I know it's healthy. . .that's why I sat myself down, ate my Protein Shake (ick--okay it's really not that bad, just not what I would rather eat), and then and hour and a half later I ate some broth, and then about 3 hours later I ate a sugar free pop, and I have probably had about 32 oz. of Water so far today. . .

DO888- I think the key is to make sure that you're getting in the required Protein. I believe it's a minimum of 50g a day but I might be wrong, check your instructions. As long as you're getting the protein and the liquids, IMHO i think the number of calories isnt truly the most important thing at this point. Once you get on solids that you might need to start caloried counting to make sure you dont go over the 1200 !!!

Formerfatchick-

Thanks for the advice, my docs reqs are 35-40 grams of Protein a day. . .and my Protein shakes have 35 grams in them. . .so that is good. . .I think I am okay, I think the lightheadedness earlier was mostly from not eating the Protein shake early enough. Being 8 days post op, I was eating them around 10am, and today I waited till about 2:30-3pm. . .

By the way my name is Darce. . .:):thumbup:

Darce

Glad you're feeling better now. I'm the same way, even 1 month post-op. If I don't eat early enough after I wake up, even if I'm not hungry, I feel really icky. That's why I try to eat some greek yogurt within an hour of waking.

When do you get to advance to your next diet stage?