Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone travel & had the surgery by themselves?

Hi,

I had 2 friends cancel on going with me due to work. My surgery is August 21 in San Antonio w/Dr. Rincon. I will be returning August 23rd by plane. I think the only nervous part is I hope they don't boot me out of the hospital into a taxi while I'm still in pain or have nausea. I've heard people who have done it alone? I'd like to hear your thoughts if you're out there?

Thanks!

Hi Mango, I'm a neighbor to your extreme northeast part of the state. I don't want to be a downer or anything, because all hospitals have different protocols, but my hospital (I work in the hospital where I had my surgery done) explicitly states that you MUST have somebody accompany you (for those whose insurances don't dictate an overnight stay). I'm pretty sure it's for litigation reasons.

I live in UK and went to Belgium alone which is a short flight away. I had no issues at all being alone and sometimes I was happy that I was as I just laid in a hotel bed all the next day relaxing.

If you have to go alone dont worry you can get through it and it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck :thumbup:

I traveled 2 days after surgery (Aug 11 surgery) but I had my mother with me. The only thing that you have to really worry about is your luggage. You cannot lift or carry anything heavier than 10 pounds. That was something I forgot about. Other than that, I was fine to fly, I took an aspirin for the blood (dr. recommended bc blood clots). On the plane, I felt a little pressure and discomfort with my band. It seemed like it was the change in air pressure. But it was totally fine and nothing to worry about at all. It only lasted a min or two while we were beginning to land.

For me, I definitely needed someone there with me. It just made everything so much easier.

I agree with libriteen, it was so much easier mentally and physically to have someone there with me.

Like plain, the facility I had surgery at also had a policy where I had to have someone to drive me home and I think it even stated be around someone for the first 24 hours.

Hi,

I had 2 friends cancel on going with me due to work. My surgery is August 21 in San Antonio w/Dr. Rincon. I will be returning August 23rd by plane. I think the only nervous part is I hope they don't boot me out of the hospital into a taxi while I'm still in pain or have nausea. I've heard people who have done it alone? I'd like to hear your thoughts if you're out there?

Thanks!

Oh, I'm sorry, I know this is a scary time! BUT, Don't worry just yet, there are a few things you can do. Call your doctor and see if there are any of his previous patients who might volunteer to be your 'angel'. Sometimes there are others who've gone through the same operation and would love to step in to be there for you.

Another option you might have is to contact the hospital and ask for a 'patient advocate'. They should have someone on staff who can be there to at least ask questions and take notes, if you are unable, so that you have everything for when you return.

I know I would be there for you if you weren't so far away-I just had my surgery on the 22nd of July, so I realize just how much you need someone at a time like this.

Don't give up! Keep asking until you find someone.....Good LUCK!!!! : )

ps. where are you?

I LIVE in San Antonio and can tell you that no hospital worth it's salt will allow a person on pain meds to leave alone. You can't even sign the form with your post op instructions. Unless you're "lucky" and get a crappy nurse, you are going to be in trouble. You'd best clear with your doc about that part of it...(Maybe he can have someone on hand to assist you)

As to flying, by 2 days after you should be ok but you'd be WAY better off to have someone to help you.

Remember if it's a long flight you don't want clots (that's an issue on any flight for anyone, moreso for we larger people post op) so you'll need to get up and move around some. Again your doc or his nurse can give you their specific preferences. good luck!

Hmmm, I've had a previous surgery and I was required to have someone. I was originally scheduled to have the surgery in Mexico and no one was required there. I switched to having the surgery in Texas and I called a few hours ago and they told me that I am not required to have someone.

Thanks guys for the ideas about having a patient advocate - I'll look into that.

It was a 3 hour drive to where I had my surgery, and my husband had a job interview at the last minute, so he couldn't go with me. So, I went alone. I told the nurses that he would be there in the morning to take me home, so they couldn't not give me the surgery. That night I refused pain meds, and I really didn't need them anyway. The next morning I checked out about noon and drove home. yes I was tired and sore, but didn't expect anything less. Now, I don't recommend people to do this, but it's what I had to do.

I live in Northern California and travelled to Tijuana Mexico by myself for the surgery. The one thing I would do differently is NOT bring a carry on bag. Remember to pack a really light rolling bag. One day in the hospital after the surgery is fine, they give you really good pain meds that didn't leave me nauseous. I was also given up to two nights free at a nearby hotel that was accustomed to having post bariatric patients so they had clear broth and Jello on their menu just for us. Don't worry about the travelling just take it easy and make sure you have enough time to get from point A to point B in the airport. Good luck

I am hoping to have surgery in October, but you raised a good concern.

I had planned on driving myself in the morning, and then taking a cab home. I only have someone available to pick me up on the weekends, so maybe I will have to make that plan.

BUT, to have someone to be with me for the 1st 24hrs........it aint going to happen. I am divorced, was recently relocated from CA to Tx and my only son is in Iraq.

I guess this is something I need to discuss with the doc before.

So my surgery is tomorrow and I AM SCARED TO DEATH! Not of the actual surgery so much but the nausea. To me that is the absolute worst feeling in the world.

Anyways, I found a prior patient with the Dr's office who was willing to help me back. I'm actually surprised about medications such as the 14 days of heparin injections you have to do to yourself. Sometimes I'm like what the heck am I doing?!

Not everyone gets nauseated. I never did. Seriously; not even a fleeting thought of nausea. If you're worried about it tell your surgeon AND the anesthesiologist; and if you've had surgery and had an issue with nausea be SURE and tell them. They don't want you vomiting either!

And not everyone has to do the hep injections (are you sure it's heparin and not lovenox? both work but I think the lovenox is more user-friendly, less bruising) but they will help prevent clots.

Good luck! Deep Breaths!

I chose to keep this surgery to myself until after it was done to avoid family and friends sharing their various opinions with me. I really was not interested to hear people who have no true experience and education with this procedure tell me their thoughts.

Anyway... I advised the clinic that I would he taking a car (limo service) to and from the surgery. They had no issue with that arrangement and actually offered to have their private driver pick me up and bring me back home. They picked me up a couple hours prior to the scheduled surgery and returned me home after I was cleared to leave.

I prepped my home with the liquids and meds I'd need for the next couple days and arrived back home to the comfort of my own bed. The clinic called me a couple times, once the day of and then the morning after to make sure I was OK.

If you are doing this alone and are not near your home - why not stay a couple days at a local hotel until you are good to travel.

I just went and got banded last Tuesday in Mexico by myself. It was awesome though because I was with a group of people that got it done and they took me under their wing. I was given two days in a hotel after surgery to recover, but ultimately even if I didn't have that group of people there I am quite confident I woud have been fine. I would not worry too much about travelling alone and getting it done.