Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Admission

*********cross posted on the Pre-op forum*********

Hi all, having scoured posts to learn what happens when in this process, thought I'd share my pre-admission appointment experience.

Went to the hospital lab yesterday where they did a chest x-ray, asked me a bunch of medical history questions, did an ekg, drew blood, and took a urine sample. I was then given a little braclet that I have to keep on from now until when I go into the hospital. Has something to do with matching my exact blood type in case I should need a transfusion.

After that I headed over to my surgeons office, which is on the same campus as the hospital. My surgery is Tuesday. I have to call on Monday between 2pm & 4pm to find out my exact surgery time. The PA did a physical exam, answered some of my remaining questions -- found out that I will likely get a 10cc band and that my port will be slightly higher than and slightly to the right of my belly button. I will have a total of 5 incisions. Found out I have a bit of a Hiatial Hernia that they will likely repair during surgery.

On Sunday I have to be on Clear liquids only -- no Protein drinks or milk products. On Monday I continue on Clear Liquids. At 10:00 AM on Monday I am to begin drinkning 8 oz of GoLytely every 10 min until stools are clear or I have ingested a total of 4 liters. I am also to take 1 gram of Neomycin at 1:00pm, 2:00pm and 10:00pm.

The other thing I was surprised to learn is that when I am discharged from the hospital I am expected to give myself shots of Lovenox twice a day for 7 days in my stomach area. My surgeon does this with all patients to prevent DVT clots. Has anyone else had to do this? Of all the stuff I've been through in this process, the idea of giving myself shots is the only thing that has REALLY creeped me out.

Every surgeon's pre-admission process is different, so if you're interested in someone who had a similar experience as you I'd do a search for your particular doctor.

As far as the Lovenox goes my doctor has a similar policy for those who are traveling more than an hour after surgery. From what I've heard, it's pretty common for patients to get a shot of either Lovenox or Heparin before their surgery, and it just depends on the doctor whether they have to take it after surgery. The Lovenox is a blood thinner which helps prevents potentially fatal blood clots that could form after surgery. Also, if you are self-pay, you should know that the Lovenox shots cost about $600

Every surgeon's pre-admission process is different, so if you're interested in someone who had a similar experience as you I'd do a search for your particular doctor.

Yes, I know that there are a variety of experiences throughout the lapband journey, depending on the surgeon. And I was not so much interested in similar experiences. I have been an information junkie and have enjoyed reading about the diversity of experiences people have written about here. My intent really was just to put a part of my experience out there as well for other people who might also enjoy reading about the variety of experiences. :tongue2:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches