Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SCARED of being put to sleep!

My surgery day is Aug. 11. 10 days left!!! I am excited..but at the same time scared to death of being put to sleep. This will be my first time. I am one of those people who have never even taken pain meds because I dont like the whole feeling groggy thing. Anyone have any suggestions as to what will make it easier? How long will I have that "groggy" feeling? What will they do if I start to have a panic attack? Im terrified I will becuase I have horriable aniexty!! Can anyone put my mind at ease?!:)

Don't worry you really wont feel all that groggy when you wake up. I felt pretty wide awake when they woke me up in recovery. My surgeon gave me a sedative just prior to surgery so I didn't experience any major anxiety at all. Sure I was a little nervous but it wasn't bad. Do you have some sort of breathing exercises or meditation you can do to remain calm before surgery? In my experience, I worried more about the surgery then was really necessary. It really was very uneventful.

Good luck to you!

My surgery day is Aug. 11. 10 days left!!! I am excited..but at the same time scared to death of being put to sleep. This will be my first time. I am one of those people who have never even taken pain meds because I dont like the whole feeling groggy thing. Anyone have any suggestions as to what will make it easier? How long will I have that "groggy" feeling? What will they do if I start to have a panic attack? Im terrified I will becuase I have horriable aniexty!! Can anyone put my mind at ease?!:)

The best bet is to talk to your anistcialogist (spelling?) let them know your fears and ask them to talk to you and tell you want they are doing. They are usually very accomodating and are very nice. they want you to be calm and relaxed.

I do know that when I was 1st put under I was scared then the second time the anistcialogist talked to me and told me everything they were doing and I felt better about being put under and then this time for my lap band I asked the anistcialogist to talk to me and tell me what they are doing and everything went well. As for the groggy feeling that can not be avoided just rest and sleep and you will be fine.

Modern anesthesia is a miraculous thing. I never once felt groggy. We are all different...but I'll share some things that helped me. Initially they put you "out' and it's like you're On and then Off. There's no slow descent (like sleep) You're awake and alert and then you are in recovery. You don't have a sense of time passing. So immediately in recovery before I do anything I find a clock and see what time it is. That helps orient me. THEN...you'll probably have a mask on. That is to help clear the anesthesia/gas from your lungs. Take long slow breaths. Breathe deeply (you may be a little sore or stiff but DO it!) and exhale completely. This will help you immensely!

I felt a little like going back "to sleep" and personally fought it. I looked around...at the nurse, at the recovery room, whatever I could see. Within about 5 seconds the "go back under" feeling passed. I could hear someone saying "Oh my GOD is she already awake? That's incredible" and the "she" was me.

The one nice thing about my surgery was I had sciatica and have never had it since. Those muscle relaxants really worked.

Do talk to the anesthesiologist! That's a great idea. But realize they are real pros, they have great new modern drugs that knock you out quick, but they have a short half life and you can "wake back up" quick, too. I fortunately wasn't nauseated, and my pain was manageable. I stopped the nurse before she could give me any morphine because I told her I'd rather be alert and in a little pain than go back out again. You do what works for you...pain is very individual. But the surgery itself is in many ways the easiest part of this whole experience. Your fears are normal, but you'll probably find the whole thing a non-event.

I have a great deal of anxiety too. My surgeons staff told me if I have anxiety when I get to the hospital to let them know and they would give me somthing to help relax me. Well I didn't have to tell them, I guesss they could tell by looking at me because they did give me somthing. I am sure they will do the same for you.

As far as the anasthesia, it feels like you close your eyes and open them. Like restlessmonkey says there is no feeling of time passing. It feels like it's over in an instant. To me that was the best part.

When you get to the hospital, just ask for somthing to help you relax and let your medical team take over. You won't have to do anything else.

I was just banded 4 days ago. I know everyone is different but I really didn't feel much pain. Mabye a little when I first woke up in recovery. After that I was just a little sore. I was really suprized because I thought it would be much worse than it was. Just relax and you will be just fine.

They will sedate you if you have anxiety. Have you ever been sedated? It really works, you'll love it. You don't know what serenity is until you've been sedated. I know what you mean about fear going under, but honestly, it's no different than when you fall asleep at night when you're really, really tired. I've had several surgeries, never any nausea, although mentioned my concern about it to each anesthesiologist. They add anti-nausea meds to the anesthesia they give you. Now, about anxiety attacks, which you won't have once sedated, I recommend a homepathic remedy which has worked for myself and a handful of people I know that gets them - the brand is Bach Flower Remedy, and the specific flower essence is called Rescue Remedy. I've had only 2 anxiety attacks, and once i put the drops under my tongue, the attack subsided within a couple of minutes. It's available in many health food stores and online. Good luck.

HI my name is Theresa

I just went through brain surgery on July 16. My biggest fear was being put to sleep. I thought of every possible thing that would and could go wrong! If you express your your feelings the day of surgery they will give you something in your IV kinda gives you the feeling of having just a little too many drinks. Dont know if you drink or have in the past. I felt more at ease. They didnt tell me when they were going to put me to sleep. I rememberd them putting the stuff for stress in my IV [my husband said I was awake but out of it] then next thing I knew the nurse was telling me to wake up my surgery was done. When I came to I was tired and just wanted to sleep. I had a little pain, but it was a different type of surgery. I have 2 more surgeries to go for my neck & back, then I want to have Lapband done. I dont think I will worry so much about it next time. Everything will be OK dont worry.

I was banded on July 29th and had MAJOR anxiety about going under. They knew I had anxiety problems and were so kind and understanding. I think they put meds in my IV before I knew it. When I woke up, I just relaxed in the bed until fully awake. Trust me, the wait up until surgery is the WORST part. I am only 5 days out and feel AWESOME. I just get tired and when I do, take my naps. You will do great, modern medicine is amazing...

they will sedate you if you have anxiety. Have you ever been sedated? It really works, you'll love it. You don't know what serenity is until you've been sedated. I know what you mean about fear going under, but honestly, it's no different than when you fall asleep at night when you're really, really tired. I've had several surgeries, never any nausea, although mentioned my concern about it to each anesthesiologist. They add anti-nausea meds to the anesthesia they give you. Now, about anxiety attacks, which you won't have once sedated, i recommend a homepathic remedy which has worked for myself and a handful of people i know that gets them - the brand is bach flower remedy, and the specific flower essence is called rescue remedy. I've had only 2 anxiety attacks, and once i put the drops under my tongue, the attack subsided within a couple of minutes. It's available in many health food stores and online. Good luck.

don't take any homepathic medicines before surgery!!

I have a friend who is a pharmacist and she told me before my past surgeries on my foot to ask for "versed". That is the stuff that makes you feel like you've had a few drinks, man that stuff is great!! :)

After they give me that I start talking away, not a fear in the world! Some people go to sleep from it though, not me.. I just start waving at people and acting all silly. :) Surgery? What surgery? haha

I am the type that is still awake when I go to the operating room, I usually get up on the table myself (again, talking to everyone in the room). Then before I know it (and it happens so quick like a previous poster says), it is over. I wake up usually when the guerney hits the operating room door on the way out. I wake up quick. Most people don't wake up until recovery.

Also, as another poster said they have great drugs, they put you out and wake you up.. I never have had a real groggy feeling, atleast it isn't a groggy feeling like you get from cold meds (I hate that feeling.. can't take it!). Its more like a relaxed feeling.

I remember the first time I had surgery though, and I was also very nervous. Your feelings are normal. Once it is done you will think "wow, that wasn't so bad at all".

My mom once told me something that made me feel better, she said "Just think that you are part of the assembly line.. you're not the first or the last to go through it, just another person along the way". For some reason, that made me feel better. Anything that you are feeling or doing they have seen before.. so, you will be in good and experienced hands. :)

I know that prayers helped tremendously with my any fears I might have had before going under. My doctor was an hour and a half late to the surgery and I did not have any of the relax medicine yet, but I didn't experience the anxiousness I would have thought I and I beleive it was because my friends were sending up prayers for me.

My surgery is on the 11th also and I will be praying for you.

I like to think of being put to sleep as a mini vacation. (I have 4 kids and I'll take any kind of vacation I can get). They will give you something to calm you down before they take you in. They will see that you are anxious and you will tell them.

Pray for peace about the procedure and have faith in the dr.,s and nurses.

Let me know how it goes.

Lisa