Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odds of long-term success

Oh my, where to begin. If there is a problem with the sleeve, (IOW, if restrictive alone does not work JUST like the band) then one can revise to RNY or DS.

Education, it's a good thing.

It's not on Google Cache. Funny how that works with drug companies that have unlimted pockets.

You are right education is a good thing so maybe you should research a little bit more. With the sleeve the cut into and shrink your stomach, but with the lapband the just simply put the band around it. The lapband is the safest and most effective bariatric surgery on the market today. If you RESEARCH all of the surgeries you will see that. Also you will see that NONE of the surgeries are guarnteed. At the end of the day it is up to whom ever gets the which ever surgery to lose the weight and keep it off themselves. Bottomline the with any of the surgeries you can gain your weight back or not lose what you wanted to at all, so if i were to choose i would go with the lapband because atleast you can reverse that one and not have as many complcations with it.( oh oops i did go with the lapband lol)

To say its mostly the peoples faults who had complications I will nicely disagree. I just found out band slipped almost a year out and I feel I was a good patient most the time a complication will arise out of nowhere I agree woth someone who said tired of pbing stuck being nauseated. Right now I feel the band takes center stage in my life it did a wonderful thing for me and I hope if oi go through fil process again and don't have it removed it will come with less complications

You are right education is a good thing so maybe you should research a little bit more. With the sleeve the cut into and shrink your stomach, but with the lapband the just simply put the band around it. The lapband is the safest and most effective bariatric surgery on the market today. If you RESEARCH all of the surgeries you will see that. Also you will see that NONE of the surgeries are guarnteed. At the end of the day it is up to whom ever gets the which ever surgery to lose the weight and keep it off themselves. Bottomline the with any of the surgeries you can gain your weight back or not lose what you wanted to at all, so if i were to choose i would go with the lapband because atleast you can reverse that one and not have as many complcations with it.( oh oops i did go with the lapband lol)

The band is the safest actual surgery, but LONG TERM, the sleeve is the safest procedure. The sleeve carries less than 0.5% risk over the band, but long term the sleeve is the safest surgery hands down. Something to consider and especially for those self pay.

The band is most certainly NOT the most effective surgery. It has the lowest weight loss stats and the slowest weight loss stats with the highest regain of ALL surgical WLS procedures. You are not being even a little bit honest.

Complications... another dishonest statement on your part. The sleeve shows the fewest long term complications and better and faster weight loss.

You need to do some serious research before posting nonsense.

To say its mostly the peoples faults who had complications I will nicely disagree. I just found out band slipped almost a year out and I feel I was a good patient most the time a complication will arise out of nowhere I agree woth someone who said tired of pbing stuck being nauseated. Right now I feel the band takes center stage in my life it did a wonderful thing for me and I hope if oi go through fil process again and don't have it removed it will come with less complications

Totally agree with your post. Those that say otherwise are in denial.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with the band, but what was said was Most of the time not All of the time. There is always an exception to every rule. What people need to look at is how many actually slip over all. Out of the thousands that have been applied how many of them that have slipped. We can't just look at one example out of thousands to get an accuarated estimate. There are risks with the band just like any surgery you have and your surgeon should have told you of them before the procedure, but overall the band is the most effective and safest thing on the market. There are many things that may cause band slippage ie..improper placement, constant vomiting,defective band( prior to surgery)non-compliance with the band and so on. So again i am sorry about your misfortune, but over all the band is the best way to go.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with the band, but what was said was Most of the time not All of the time. There is always an exception to every rule. What people need to look at is how many actually slip over all. Out of the thousands that have been applied how many of them that have slipped. We can't just look at one example out of thousands to get an accuarated estimate. There are risks with the band just like any surgery you have and your surgeon should have told you of them before the procedure, but overall the band is the most effective and safest thing on the market. There are many things that may cause band slippage ie..improper placement, constant vomiting,defective band( prior to surgery)non-compliance with the band and so on. So again i am sorry about your misfortune, but over all the band is the best way to go.

It is not accurate to say that the band is the most effective and safest thing on the market. It is well known and demonstrated in countless studies (including band makers studies) that the lap band is the least effective surgery type for WLS. It is the safest actual surgical procedure but it is not the safest surgery long term.

The band might be the best way for you to go, but not everyone feels the same.

It is not accurate to say that the band is the most effective and safest thing on the market. It is well known and demonstrated in countless studies (including band makers studies) that the lap band is the least effective surgery type for WLS. It is the safest actual surgical procedure but it is not the safest surgery long term.

The band might be the best way for you to go, but not everyone feels the same.

I am sorry but once again i disagree. If you look up the research you will see that the band is the most effective and safest over long term. If you see the studies where they compare the gastric to the band you will see the band is equal to the gastric over a 5 year span. No you may not lose the weight as fast, but you keep it off longer. The band was designed as a tool to "help" you lose the weight slowly and more naturally. It has it's problems like anything else, but over all is the safest. Do you think it is safer to cut into vital organs and re-route intestines verses putting something around one? You are correct it was the right choice for me and i am not trying to talk anyone into it one way or the other. I am just trying to set the record straight. others have tried to talk her into the sleeve which has proven to be non-effective. so bottom line is that whatever choice you make YOU are the one that has to still do the work. YOU must still work hard on your weightloss. NONE of them will remain effective or safe if YOU don't comply with the doctor's instructions. Remember the more you are cut into the higher your risk becomes. Alot of the problem still remains that the people want to blame the product instead of taking responsibility for what THEY have done wrong. They truly don't get that THEY are the ones that are still responsible for their own weightloss. As i said before and will say again there is an EXCEPTION to every rule, so the band isn't going to be effective 100% of the time, but it is over all the most effective and safest product as far as WLS goes. I bet if you survey the people that are not happy with it. You would find out that most of them did not truly understand how the band works and they are the ones that did not have success, because they did not comply with the doctor's orders. I talk to people all the time that have had different types of WLS and i can tell they still don't get it. People that are obese (as we all are) tend to think that they can have surgery and all the fat magically disappears. Well that is not realalistic to think or believe. We did not put it on over night and we will not take it off in the same fashion. So no matter what CHOICE a person makes about weightloss whether it be WLS or the old fashion route. They need to understand that ultimately THEY are the ones that will have to do and maintain the hard work.

Edited by nurse09

I bet if you survey the people that are not happy with it. You would find out that most of them did not truly understand how the band works and they are the ones that did not have success, because they did not comply with the doctor's orders..

yeah - planned on bailing out of this discussion... BUT i must comment on the above.

i have no idea how long you've had your band, but i've had mine 22 months.....got to goal in 10, and have maintained nicely for well over a yr.

i want my band for as long as possible, it would be disingenous to not provide the "what if - complications" that can & DO occur to the fault of NO ONE!

there are a dozen "i love my band" threads posted daily - this one happens to be one of a thoughtful researcher who wants to weigh all his/her options. if your happy - love the band, great; but honestly there are some of us that have had complications; struggle through no fault of our own - and that experience deserves to be written about. if you disagree - great, not changing my mind that this is a hard tool to work & other WLS are viable options for those in research mode.

I am sorry but once again i disagree. If you look up the research you will see that the band is the most effective and safest over long term.

I have done the research, quite a bit. Matter of fact I read studies on a daily basis. You are making claims that even the band manufacturer does not make.

If you see the studies where they compare the gastric to the band you will see the band is equal to the gastric over a 5 year span.

Depends on which study you are referring to.

No you may not lose the weight as fast, but you keep it off longer.

I haven't read a single peer reviewed study that shows this to be correct.

The band was designed as a tool to "help" you lose the weight slowly and more naturally.

I am aware of that. I got to goal with the band.

It has it's problems like anything else, but over all is the safest.

Yes, the actual surgery is safer than a sleeve, for example by about 0.5%. Long term.. no, it most certainly is not.

Do you think it is safer to cut into vital organs and re-route intestines verses putting something around one?

I never claimed it was. Repeatedly I have said the SLEEVE is safer long term. I don't believe I mentioned gastric bypass.

others have tried to talk her into the sleeve which has proven to be non-effective.

What the heck are you talking about? Where do you get all this misinformation? It's not often I find a post with soooo much incorrect data. The sleeve is proven to be more effective than the band.

Now, 25 years ago that might have been the case because 25 years ago they were using a bigger bougie but back then it wasn't meant to be a final WLS type. Today they are using a 32F and it most certainly has not been proven ineffective and that surgery type is the fastest growing WLS type today.

so bottom line is that whatever choice you make YOU are the one that has to still do the work. YOU must still work hard on your weightloss. NONE of them will remain effective or safe if YOU don't comply with the doctor's instructions.

Actually, I am at goal and have been for 1.5 years. Are you at goal? How is your weight loss?

Remember the more you are cut into the higher your risk becomes.

I'm a nurse, I am well aware of risks and complications. I have had the band and the sleeve so I have a pretty good idea of what reality is here.

Alot of the problem still remains that the people want to blame the product instead of taking responsibility for what THEY have done wrong. They truly don't get that THEY are the ones that are still responsible for their own weightloss.

I totally blame the product. 100% I blame the product in my case.

As i said before and will say again there is an EXCEPTION to every rule, so the band isn't going to be effective 100% of the time, but it is over all the most effective and safest product as far as WLS goes.

Okay, prove it. You have repeated time and time again that the band is the most effective WLS tool today. Show me the peer reviewed studies showing that the band is more effective than DS.

I bet if you survey the people that are not happy with it. You would find out that most of them did not truly understand how the band works and they are the ones that did not have success, because they did not comply with the doctor's orders. I talk to people all the time that have had different types of WLS and i can tell they still don't get it. People that are obese (as we all are) tend to think that they can have surgery and all the fat magically disappears. Well that is not realalistic to think or believe. We did not put it on over night and we will not take it off in the same fashion. So no matter what CHOICE a person makes about weightloss whether it be WLS or the old fashion route. They need to understand that ultimately THEY are the ones that will have to do and maintain the hard work.

I really do wish you would quit lecturing me on how to lose weight. I am at goal, I got to goal in 10 months even having mega problems with the band. I've maintained my weight loss since that time. How is YOUR weight loss?

Nurse09:

Ok.

I haven’t followed this thread much, but a couple of things caught my eye.

Thus, I have a few …uh…..”observations”.

Nurse09 said:

You are right education is a good thing so maybe you should research a little bit more”

Uh….Pardon me, Nursy, but there is virtually NO ONE on this ENTIRE forum that researches MORE and more completely than WasaBubbleButt. She researches this stuff more in a week than the vast majority of people do during their ENTIRE pre-surgery investigation. And it’s HIGH-QUALITY research as well. She doesn’t just read the backs of Cereal boxes to get her information, the way it seems MOST people do who are “researching” the band. She KNOWS her stuff, both from experience, AND from detailed and meticulous research.

And based on a couple of things I have read from YOU, you should probably be prohibited by law from even USING the word “research”.

“The lapband is the safest and most effective bariatric surgery on the market today.”

Baloney. (note: what I REALLY mean is Bullsh**t, but I’m trying to be polite…)

THAT kind of statement is INCORRECT at its BEST, and HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE at it’s worst. It’s the kind of comment that leads people to making a decision that could be VERY WRONG for their particular circumstances, leading them to either NO weight loss, or the expense and physical trauma of a Revision Surgery.

It MAY be the “best” for some people. Of Course it is. ALL of the surgeries are “Best” for SOMEONE. But to characterize ANY ONE of them as “the best” for EVERYONE suggests that you have done NO research at all.

Different Surgeries. Different People. Different Bodies. Different Eating Disorders….etc.etc.. Understand that?

There is NO one-size-fits-all Weight Loss Surgery. Several overlap to a certain degree, but NOTHING is “The Best”.

Safest? Again, Wasa is correct.

Nurse09 said:

“so if i were to choose i would go with the lapband because at least you can reverse that one and not have as many complications with it”

Not as many complications as WHAT, exactly? There are a few things that can happen with ALL the WLS procedures, but “not as many”? c’mon, wake up. Erosion, Port Flipping, Port infection, band Slippage, pouch dilation, Leaks, Port twists/flips, Reflux, Stomal obstructions…..the list goes on, and it is getting somewhat LONGER as time goes on. Not to mention the simple fact that in some people, the body simply REJECTS a foreign object that is placed into the body. (please note: there are people on the forum whose body will not reject ANY foreign object that is placed into it, but that is a whole other thread…...:unsure:)

One very important point that you do not seem to “get” is that with the Lap Band, it’s NOT as “reversible” as you might think. Sure, you can take it out. But by the time it has been determined that it NEEDS to be taken out, VERY OFTEN the damage has ALREADY BEEN DONE. This is the truest with erosion. And in SO many cases, when erosion is present, it PRECLUDES the possibility of ANY weight Loss Surgery being performed in the future. It’s not a simple matter of “oh well, it’s not working, let’s reverse it”. You can take it out, but very, very often, you CANNOT entirely repair the damage that it does. For SOME incidents of erosion, the ONLY way to repair the damage is by performing a Gastric Bypass. Ironic, eh?

So this notion of “reversibility” is not all that’s cracked up to be.

So, is ANY of this reason enough to NOT have the band?

NO. NOT AT ALL. The band WORKS MIRACLES for SOME PEOPLE. LOTS of people, actually, but to characterize it as the “best”, and to discount the very real possibility of a wide range of side effects and complications that are possible is simply foolish.

“If you look up the research you will see that the band is the most effective and safest over long term.”

Where do you get this crap? There IS no “the research”. There ARE no unbiased, peer-reviewed studies that have been done that are STATISICALLY SIGNIFICANT that lend ANY credence to ANYTHING you are saying. At all. There are lots of single/Surgeon single/facility studies that “suggest” outcomes one way or another, but the kind of studies YOU are suggesting do NOT exist in any statistically SIGNIFICANT form. I mean, the band has only been approved here for a little over 7 years. Add to THAT the fact that the procedure for installation has CHANGED a bit since approval, there are now several TYPES of bands on the market, and there are different variations among the bands, etc, etc, etc. There ARE NO “the studies”, and there will NOT be for a number of years to come.

Here’s one other piece of info for ya: last year I spoke with a Surgeon who is a recognized EXPERT in the area of Lap Band dysfunction and repair (he removed my Band). He stated in no uncertain terms that he felt that the band would be REMOVED from the market in 5 years or less, BECAUSE of the increasing incidents of erosion, and other complications. HE sees the problems on a DAILY basis. Now, I do not think that this will happen, because in spite of the many and increasing problems with the band, there have been some WONDERFUL outcomes with the Lap Band. What I THINK will happen is that the band will ultimately be considered as a “temporary” device, meant to be used for a specific period of time, and then removed, to avoid the more long-term complications such as erosion. I think that it will be hoped that the patient will utilize behavior modification techniques, and “learn” to eat differently while the band is present. There have been a few people on this board who have had their bands removed, and have gone on to maintain and continue their weight loss. It IS possible, and I think that the emphasis will eventually be shifted to this kind of concept – a temporary “aid” that will be combined with extensive Psychotherapy and Behavior modification therapies to produce the desired outcome. For those who CANNOT accomplish this and Restriction is found to be the key to their weight difficulties, then the Sleeve would be the next step.

However….for SO many people, the Sleeve SHOULD be the first and only step. It is a viable, successful form of surgery that is quickly becoming the surgery of choice for a very large segment of the Obese population.

Do you think it is safer to cut into vital organs and re-route intestines verses putting something around one?”

Jeez. In very, very many cases, that is what the patient NEEDS. As I have said so many times before, all of these surgeries are NOT entirely interchangeable. Some people need RESTRICTION. Some need Malabsorbtion. Some need both. Some need neither; they simply need some Cheesecake Abatement Therapy.

“but it is over all the most effective and safest product as far as WLS goes.”

You keep saying this. Where DO you GET this stuff? Some of the time it is. Often it is not. You need to LEARN this.

So, as far as your future “research” goes, I have a suggestion for you.

1.) Come to this forum.

2.) PM WasaBubbleButt.

3.) Ask her your question.

4.) She will answer you.

5.) The answer will be, quite simply, AS PRECISE AS IT IS CAPABLE OF BEING. Wasa is a ROBOT as far as research. She knows what she is doing.

THAT is what you need to do, and stop reading brochures from “Omar’s Nail, Massage, and Lap Band Surgery Center”

HH

Nurse09:

Ok.

I haven’t followed this thread much, but a couple of things caught my eye.

Thus, I have a few …uh…..”observations”.

Nurse09 said:

You are right education is a good thing so maybe you should research a little bit more”

Uh….Pardon me, Nursy, but there is virtually NO ONE on this ENTIRE forum that researches MORE and more completely than WasaBubbleButt. She researches this stuff more in a week than the vast majority of people do during their ENTIRE pre-surgery investigation. And it’s HIGH-QUALITY research as well. She doesn’t just read the backs of cereal boxes to get her information, the way it seems MOST people do who are “researching” the band. She KNOWS her stuff, both from experience, AND from detailed and meticulous research.

And based on a couple of things I have read from YOU, you should probably be prohibited by law from even USING the word “research”.

“The lapband is the safest and most effective bariatric surgery on the market today.”

Baloney. (note: what I REALLY mean is Bullsh**t, but I’m trying to be polite…)

THAT kind of statement is INCORRECT at its BEST, and HIGHLY IRRESPONSIBLE at it’s worst. It’s the kind of comment that leads people to making a decision that could be VERY WRONG for their particular circumstances, leading them to either NO weight loss, or the expense and physical trauma of a Revision Surgery.

It MAY be the “best” for some people. Of Course it is. ALL of the surgeries are “Best” for SOMEONE. But to characterize ANY ONE of them as “the best” for EVERYONE suggests that you have done NO research at all.

Different Surgeries. Different People. Different Bodies. Different Eating Disorders….etc.etc.. Understand that?

There is NO one-size-fits-all Weight Loss Surgery. Several overlap to a certain degree, but NOTHING is “The Best”.

Safest? Again, Wasa is correct.

Nurse09 said:

“so if i were to choose i would go with the lapband because at least you can reverse that one and not have as many complications with it”

Not as many complications as WHAT, exactly? There are a few things that can happen with ALL the WLS procedures, but “not as many”? c’mon, wake up. Erosion, Port Flipping, Port infection, band Slippage, pouch dilation, Leaks, Port twists/flips, Reflux, Stomal obstructions…..the list goes on, and it is getting somewhat LONGER as time goes on. Not to mention the simple fact that in some people, the body simply REJECTS a foreign object that is placed into the body. (please note: there are people on the forum whose body will not reject ANY foreign object that is placed into it, but that is a whole other thread…...:unsure:)

One very important point that you do not seem to “get” is that with the Lap Band, it’s NOT as “reversible” as you might think. Sure, you can take it out. But by the time it has been determined that it NEEDS to be taken out, VERY OFTEN the damage has ALREADY BEEN DONE. This is the truest with erosion. And in SO many cases, when erosion is present, it PRECLUDES the possibility of ANY weight Loss Surgery being performed in the future. It’s not a simple matter of “oh well, it’s not working, let’s reverse it”. You can take it out, but very, very often, you CANNOT entirely repair the damage that it does. For SOME incidents of erosion, the ONLY way to repair the damage is by performing a Gastric Bypass. Ironic, eh?

So this notion of “reversibility” is not all that’s cracked up to be.

So, is ANY of this reason enough to NOT have the band?

NO. NOT AT ALL. The band WORKS MIRACLES for SOME PEOPLE. LOTS of people, actually, but to characterize it as the “best”, and to discount the very real possibility of a wide range of side effects and complications that are possible is simply foolish.

“If you look up the research you will see that the band is the most effective and safest over long term.”

Where do you get this crap? There IS no “the research”. There ARE no unbiased, peer-reviewed studies that have been done that are STATISICALLY SIGNIFICANT that lend ANY credence to ANYTHING you are saying. At all. There are lots of single/Surgeon single/facility studies that “suggest” outcomes one way or another, but the kind of studies YOU are suggesting do NOT exist in any statistically SIGNIFICANT form. I mean, the band has only been approved here for a little over 7 years. Add to THAT the fact that the procedure for installation has CHANGED a bit since approval, there are now several TYPES of bands on the market, and there are different variations among the bands, etc, etc, etc. There ARE NO “the studies”, and there will NOT be for a number of years to come.

Here’s one other piece of info for ya: last year I spoke with a Surgeon who is a recognized EXPERT in the area of Lap Band dysfunction and repair (he removed my Band). He stated in no uncertain terms that he felt that the band would be REMOVED from the market in 5 years or less, BECAUSE of the increasing incidents of erosion, and other complications. HE sees the problems on a DAILY basis. Now, I do not think that this will happen, because in spite of the many and increasing problems with the band, there have been some WONDERFUL outcomes with the Lap Band. What I THINK will happen is that the band will ultimately be considered as a “temporary” device, meant to be used for a specific period of time, and then removed, to avoid the more long-term complications such as erosion. I think that it will be hoped that the patient will utilize behavior modification techniques, and “learn” to eat differently while the band is present. There have been a few people on this board who have had their bands removed, and have gone on to maintain and continue their weight loss. It IS possible, and I think that the emphasis will eventually be shifted to this kind of concept – a temporary “aid” that will be combined with extensive Psychotherapy and Behavior modification therapies to produce the desired outcome. For those who CANNOT accomplish this and Restriction is found to be the key to their weight difficulties, then the Sleeve would be the next step.

However….for SO many people, the Sleeve SHOULD be the first and only step. It is a viable, successful form of surgery that is quickly becoming the surgery of choice for a very large segment of the Obese population.

Do you think it is safer to cut into vital organs and re-route intestines verses putting something around one?”

Jeez. In very, very many cases, that is what the patient NEEDS. As I have said so many times before, all of these surgeries are NOT entirely interchangeable. Some people need RESTRICTION. Some need Malabsorbtion. Some need both. Some need neither; they simply need some Cheesecake Abatement Therapy.

“but it is over all the most effective and safest product as far as WLS goes.”

You keep saying this. Where DO you GET this stuff? Some of the time it is. Often it is not. You need to LEARN this.

So, as far as your future “research” goes, I have a suggestion for you.

1.) Come to this forum.

2.) PM WasaBubbleButt.

3.) Ask her your question.

4.) She will answer you.

5.) The answer will be, quite simply, AS PRECISE AS IT IS CAPABLE OF BEING. Wasa is a ROBOT as far as research. She knows what she is doing.

THAT is what you need to do, and stop reading brochures from “Omar’s Nail, Massage, and Lap Band Surgery Center”

HH

HA! I was so hoping you would see this page of this thread. I'll write it again, I heart HH.

I'm still giggling over the gold nuggets comment elsewhere. ;o)

I was scheduled to be banded next week until last night I decided to look at the before and after pics, and gave myself cold feet.

I was startled by the number of people posting there that have since (noticed the updates in signatures) had slips, erosions, needed a new band, "upgraded" to the sleeve or RNY, etc. It seemed to me, it was more common than not to have some sort of complication and additional surgery following the initial band for those people that got it in 2004-05.

I got so diseartened and scared, I called my doctor and cancelled my surgery today :w00t:?

I certainly understand your fear, I too almost cancelled mine right before I had the surgery. I noice a lot of people have complications, and even though I'm very very happy with my band, I would have done the sleeve if my insurance had paid for it 2 1/2 years ago when I got the band. IMO.

What exactly is the average lifespan of a band?

What % of patients are still happy bandsters 5 years down the road?

Do people being banded today have better odds at band success than those being banded 5 years ago (since it's more common, more practiced doctors)?

The lifespan of the band is for life, so they say. I do think the % of complications prior to 2005 were higher. I think the slips and erosions are less now. I have no statistics to back this up, just things I have read and just my personal opinion. I also believe a lot of slips are because of the doctors failure to place the band in the proper place, again my opinion. I was banded in January 0f 2007, no major complications, just trying to get to my sweet spot and I just had fill #15, if I was self pay, it would have been a very very pricey surgery for me with all my fills. My insurance paid for mine so I'm very lucky and thankful for that.

The thought of losing this weight of my own, without the tool of WLS for support, is overwhelming. I have been dieting or "changing my lifestyle" for the past 15 years at least and all I have to show for it is an extra 80 lbs on my body.

But the thought of going thousands of dollars in debt (yay for self-pay!) for a surgery that will only work as intended for 2-3 years....

I feel so ambivalent about the surgery now... I wonder if I chickened out over isolated, rare, incidents or if my impression was correct.

Can someone point me to some information (either studies, statistics, or personal stories) about actual long term results with this surgery?

I was actually complicating WLS in 2006, but decided to "do it on my own" one more time. I was successful, lost about 50 lbs. Then went on vacation and before I knew it, was off my program, packed on 65 lbs in like 3 or 4 months. Thats when I realized I needed help and I would continue on this roller coaster ride until I got a little helper "the Band". There are so many different options, explore them all and then do studies and see what is best for you.

The band has been great for me and I am happy with it, I think I would have done the sleeve now looking back on it because of the maintenance level of the sleeve vs the band. But at the time I had to make a decision, the band was the right choice for me at that time. If I was to do it today, I think the sleeve would be the choice I would go. I am not having problems, I do worry about later complications, and have considered switching to the sleeve, but financial reason I cannot do that at this time. Until then, I will live and enjoy my life with the band.

The problem with this study is that it is looking at five years back (starting in '03 or '04). For the gastric band and banding follow-up care and protocol development that was light years ago. The APS and APL were introduced in '07.

Many elements of the pre and post care are now designed specifically to reduce complications.

This is a common flaw when looking at studies, whether independent, peer-reviewed, or not.

Again, after what happened to my sister and brother where much of the weight has come back, it is a complete myth that RnY and/or Sleeve cannot be defeated. I know this from flat-out first hand experience.

One other point, when I was determining which surgical firm I would use, I talked to a group out of Northern Va and Maryland that has performed around 3000 Lap Bands and thousands and thousands of RnY also.

They said they have tweaked their care to the point where there is now no substantial statistical difference between APS/APL and RnY at the 3 to 4 year mark. The RnY lost quicker initially but bounced back up as the more steady trajectory of the Adjustable band was clearly more healthy.

The key is the follow-up care and teaching people how to use whatever tool they have.

I am sorry but once again i disagree. If you look up the research you will see that the band is the most effective and safest over long term. If you see the studies where they compare the gastric to the band you will see the band is equal to the gastric over a 5 year span. No you may not lose the weight as fast, but you keep it off longer. The band was designed as a tool to "help" you lose the weight slowly and more naturally. It has it's problems like anything else, but over all is the safest. Do you think it is safer to cut into vital organs and re-route intestines verses putting something around one? You are correct it was the right choice for me and i am not trying to talk anyone into it one way or the other. I am just trying to set the record straight. others have tried to talk her into the sleeve which has proven to be non-effective. so bottom line is that whatever choice you make YOU are the one that has to still do the work. YOU must still work hard on your weightloss. NONE of them will remain effective or safe if YOU don't comply with the doctor's instructions. Remember the more you are cut into the higher your risk becomes. Alot of the problem still remains that the people want to blame the product instead of taking responsibility for what THEY have done wrong. They truly don't get that THEY are the ones that are still responsible for their own weightloss. As i said before and will say again there is an EXCEPTION to every rule, so the band isn't going to be effective 100% of the time, but it is over all the most effective and safest product as far as WLS goes. I bet if you survey the people that are not happy with it. You would find out that most of them did not truly understand how the band works and they are the ones that did not have success, because they did not comply with the doctor's orders. I talk to people all the time that have had different types of WLS and i can tell they still don't get it. People that are obese (as we all are) tend to think that they can have surgery and all the fat magically disappears. Well that is not realalistic to think or believe. We did not put it on over night and we will not take it off in the same fashion. So no matter what CHOICE a person makes about weightloss whether it be WLS or the old fashion route. They need to understand that ultimately THEY are the ones that will have to do and maintain the hard work.

I read all the posts on this thread. As an RN for well over 25 years, it saddens me when I see another RN posting information that is not accurate, complete, or misleading. Unfortunately, that is what I found in your posts.

The bottom line is that people need to examine what type of eaters they are. Based on those results, they will either need a restrictive procedure (band or VSG) or a procedure that is both restrictive and malabsorptive (RNY or DS). Only after those facts are known should a person select a surgeon and that surgeon needs to have proven stats in the procedure desired by the patient.

Where did you get the information that people cause their own problems with the band? Why do you think erosion is the only complication? Don't you know how many OTHER complications have been reported? I had a band for 3 years and 1 day and had NO erosion. I followed ALL the rules and suffered from acid reflux, the inability to sleep in a bed, and could not tolerate healthy foods. My life was pure hell with the band even though I was an ideal patient.

The sleeve has proven ineffective at weight loss? WOW! That is an awful thing to post. When you use the word "nurse" in your screen name people assume you have a certain level of knowledge and might give more weight (no pun intended) to what you say over someone else. As such, you have a responsibility to post FACT. The sleeve has great STATS. Originally, it was the first surgery done for those having DS. Because so many people were losing so well, it soon became a stand alone surgery.

I believe the other inconsistencies in your posts have been addressed by others so I won't comment further. The band is great for a lot of people but it's not a one size fits all procedure. There are other WLS's that are JUST as effective (and more so in many cases) as the band.

To the original poster, you were 100% on point to cancel your surgery. Take as much time as you need to find the right surgery for you.