Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread has nothing to do with the band!

After much discussion, my DH and I are going to visit Australia - our once-in-a-lifetime vacation. So, aside from the usual government websites and travel books, I was hoping you might have some handy hints, some less than well-known but fabulous places to visit suggestions, recommendations for places to stay, handy hints, general advice.

The things we know:

1. We have ONLY 3 weeks so we know we aren't going to see everything or even 1/2 of everything! We do know its a big continent! We are going to be selective about where we go and what we see/do- but there are just SO many things to select from!!! (A given is Ayre's Rock and the Sydney Opera House - now if I could only get DH to an opera I would be thrilled! DH wants to go to an Aussie rules football game - whatever that is!))

2. We are going in February, which we know is a high time for things, but hey, that's when we can travel.

3. We are NOT 'join a bus tour' people - although they may be great for getting to 'see' the most things in the shortest time, we are much more of the 'whatever takes our fancy let's do' mindset.

We have lots of questions, but:

1. Is a camper van easily rented and worthwhile when compared to renting a car and paying for hotels/B&Bs?

2. If you were a tour guide, what would you recommend to newcomers who have only 3 weeks?

Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations/website links/or words of wisdom are welcome!

Thanks.

Hi,

I personally would not go to the center of aust in Feb, it is way too hot, If you want to see Ayers Rock, it is best seen by air, you get a better view.

I might be bias but I dont think you could come to OZ without seeing the Barrier reef. check out the you tube lin

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_playlists&search_query=tropical+queensland&uni=1

Campers are on a par with hire car and motels but at least you can prepare your own food if you use camper, food will be one of your biggest costs.

far northern Queensland has so much to see and all within driving distance of cairns international airport, you can even fly to Ayres Rock from there. and also go down the coast to the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour bridge (The Coat Hanger)

I am sure if you search through you tube you will find so many ideas for your trip.

I hope this helps

enjoy your time in Oz.

Linda:thumbup:

If DH wants to see Aussie rules the best place is Melbourne, however I think Feb is off season. Grand final is in Sept and not being a fan I'm not sure when it starts again.

The Great Ocean Rd is spectacular.

The Penguin parade at Phillip Island.

Lots of sport and culture in Melbourne itself.

Grampians are good.

Gippsland is stunning.

Hanging Rock especially if you have seen the movie.

Tasmania is beautiful.

Sydney has the coat hanger and the opera House and lots more too I'm sure but i've only been there for a weekend.Still a newbie here and haven't been everywhere yet.

Be aware Feb is one of our hottest months.Temps 40 deg C plus(you'll have to look up a conversion).

Campervan should be easy to hire.

HTH

My fave spot in the world is Byron Bay - an enchanting mix of wealthy and hippy communities. Its a fabulous spot on the northern NSW coast, right on QLD, which you could easily combine with a trip to the Gold Coast. Spectacular scenery and a choice of top notch shopping and eating and 5 star accommodation or grow your armpit hair and eat lentils camping.

I adore Sydney too, you must see the Eastern beaches - Bondi, Coogee etc, easy to do from the city centre, and the blue mountains region is great. Ferry ride on the harbour is a great way to see the Opera House and bridge, I was just in Sydney this past weekend,.

In Victoria, south Gippsland and Wilsons Promontory, gorgeous. Can highly recomnend the Koonwarra Store just outside Leongatha for a very relaxed meal, the Prom has absolutely stunning beaches, and is mostly camping accommodation, but if you had a campervan, a tour of southern Victoria, from the great ocean road right across to south gippsland, wilsons prom and on up to Lakes entrance would be fabulous.

I've done mostly the eastern part of Australia - I live in melbourne and have holidayed all up and down the entire east coast. Far northern queensland is a different experience again.

Adelaide is lovely, and includes great wine growing districts, I've been as far up inland as Flinders Rangers - again a fabulous campervan trip, its amazing country. Havent been to the centre, but BOY all of that region will be stupendously hot in February. And sadly, I've never been to Perth.

Up north at that time of year, from Qld up, its the rainy season and there are occasionally cyclones, climate wise, the southern end of Australia is at its best that time of year.

Sadly, you wont see much Aussie Rules in February, its a winter sport.

COME TO WESTERN AUSTRALIA!! :laugh:

I have lived here all my life and I am biased LOL...Love it over here, wouldn't want to be anywhere else:)

Have a look at this website (I got all this from there)...lists heaps of things to do and see: Welcome to Western Australia - Tourism Western Australia

We have the CORAL COAST

Beaches, exotic marine life, national reserves and the bluest ocean you’ll see anywhere in the world.This coastline region commence at Cervantes, where you’ll find the unique rock formations of the Pinnacles and stretches as far north as Exmouth, home of the internationally renowned Ningaloo Reef, this amazing area is also great for diving and fishing all year round with a variety of spectacular reefs and marine life, white sandy beaches and warm turquoise waters. Inland is just as exciting, as carpets of wildflowers burst into colour during the wildflower season.The region offers amazing experiences and interactions with a variety of marine life, including meeting the dolphins of Monkey Mia, sea lions, manta rays, dugongs and humpback whales. Australia’s Coral Coast is one of the few places in the world where you can swim with the world’s largest fish – the whale shark. Check out Nature's Calendar for some suggestions of when to go.

We have the SOUTH WEST:

From towering forests to whale watching, fine food and wine to world class surfing, Australia's South West offers some of the most varied travel experiences in Western Australia.Margaret River and its surrounds are a popular destination for world-class wineries, top surfing and fun family holidays. Locals head here in winter too, responding to the lure of cosy log-fires, brisk walks along the beach, horse riding through the bush and mountains of delicious local produce.A huge draw for scuba divers is the HMAS Swan Dive Wreck, also visible to snorkellers from above the ocean surface. The Busselton Jetty and Underwater Observatory provides another amazing view of the colourful world beneath the Water. (I grew up here in Busselton!! :tt2: )

We have the NORTH WEST:

Australia's North West is one of the world's last true wilderness areas and home to the Kimberley - the inspiration for 'Australia' the movie.The seaside town of Broome forms the southern gateway to this spectacular region and offers up breathaking Cable Beach - a 22km stretch of soft white sand and warm turquoise waters.From Broome, venture into red-earth country and experience an authentic Aussie outback adventure by four wheel drive, take a scenic flight over extraordinary rock formations and magnificent waterfalls, or cruise through the inland waterways that permeate the region.Highlights of Australia's North West include the Bungle Bungle Range, the rocky landscapes of Karijini National Park, the many ancient gorges featured along the Gibb River Road, and Lake Argyle - a mass of Water large enough to be classified as an inland sea.

We have the OUTBACK (this is probably how you expect Australia to be like)

Vast clear skies and theatrical landscapes. True outback adventures, authentic Aboriginal encounters and visits to settlements built by goldrush pioneers.Images of the vast clear skies and theatrical landscapes of the Golden Outback region will stamp themselves forever in your minds eye.This is the place for true outback adventure. Driving becomes an activity in itself rather than a means to an end, and camping under the stars is a mystical experience.Look for tours offering authentic Aboriginal encounters in and around the mining towns and settlements built by goldrush pioneers. Or simply get into the laid back atmosphere of rural life among grandiose heritage buildings, friendly pubs and hospitable farmstays.

And then we have PERTH! (Where I live now)

All the essential ingredients for a great holiday. Some of the country's best beaches, plenty of nightlife, bustling markets, inner city parks, outdoor dining and amazing marine adventures.Perth centres on Western Australia's capital of Perth, which sits beside the widest stretch of the meandering Swan River. Locals here enjoy a relaxed outdoors lifestyle, as does the neighbouring port city of Fremantle, at the mouth of the Swan.The line-up of water-based fun includes boating, fishing and all dialogues of surfing. Fremantle's majestic historic architecture takes you back in time, while its marine heritage draws you to the ocean and a short ferry ride to Rottnest Island.

I would also recommend hiring a "Wicked Camper Van" ....I see them around ALL the time! They look reasonably priced and they would definitely get you where you needed to go! :smile2: Here's their website: http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/pricing

Wayyy too much here to list!(Check out the website addy I put here) You'll love it here :wink2:

Edited by TeganRheana

Thanks so much - and keep the ideas/recommendations coming! We really appreciate them!

We are checking each link provided, and purchased a great map book and are checking off spots etc. to see what is reasonable to combine without becoming the dazed "30 cities in 5 days" people.

We are just getting so excited, although the news on the aussie rules football was a bit of a blow to DH (me, not so much!).

Keep the ideas coming...........

We are just getting so excited, although the news on the aussie rules football was a bit of a blow to DH (me, not so much!).

You'd better check - i'm not an expert!

www.afl.com.au

this link might help.