Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 7/10/09. In the first 2 weeks, I lost 19lbs, so I think I am doing pretty well. However, in the last week I haven't lost anything and have maintained my 19lb loss. My concern is that I am going on solid food tomorrow (I have been on mushies for the last week) and that I have hit a plateau very early on. My doctor just told me 2 days ago that I can increase my exercise and start light work outs at the gym again, but to still be careful and not overexert myself.

My question is, how quickly do you normally plateau? Is this typical? What can I do besides increase my exercise? I have been very conservative with my food intake because I have not been starving and have been feeling good. I really wasnt expecting to be at a standstill already. To be honest, its a little discouraging. I mean, evn if it slowed down to a pound or 2, I would be ok, b/c then atleast I am seeing progress.

What you are experiencing is normal. Most bandsters don't lose during this period - you are still healing. I lost and gained the same 3 pounds weeks 2-6 postop. My doctor told me not to be surprised if I didn't lose, that I may even gain. You will see some people post who continue to lose during this phase, but it seems the majority of us lose very little, maintain, or even gain a little.

Just continue to let your body heal and follow your doctors instructions. Once you start getting fills you will notice the weight coming off (although it can take several fills for some people), so have patience and just trust the process.

Good luck!!

I was banded on June 16 and after my 4 wk. fill, I plateaud for two straigt wks!! I was getting myself sick over this because I have not cheated once and I have stuck to my menu, but didn't have an exercise plan :) My husband became my evil boot camp instructor and took me to the beach to walk on the sand. The resistance from the sand and the sweat we worked up really gave me gratifying results! I lost 2 lbs. by the next morning, and lost another 2 lbs. the following day. I've lost a total of 29 lbs. since June 16th and I still have a long way to go. Change your exercise routine if you don't see weight loss, you'll be glad you did.

It's true. I was where your at just a few weeks ago. My husband and I had our lapband surgery on May 28, 2009 and were very excited when we lost 20 lbs right away and then got very, very discouraged when that halted and sometimes we even put a pound or two back on and then off again and this was right when we were going from liquids to solids. I felt bad, then found this site and realized almost everyone goes through this. I did not realize how quickly we would need to get our first fill. since then I have lost another 10 pounds and that was just July 13, 2009. I had a very big fill and I only have a 4 cc band, so its working. My husband got his fill and has lost a little more, but we already know he needs another fill and we have scheduled that for August 10th. He has a 10 cc band, so it makes since he would need more fills to get to his "sweet spot". Hang in there. It will get better.

Thanks guys. Its a relief to know this is normal! I will try not to sweat it until I get my first fill (Aug 25th). I am just going to stick to the diet and exercise and if it continues, even if slow, then so be it. How much does everyone exercise?