Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need some exercising ideas

not banded yet, july 31st is the surgery date but i just want to know ahead of time, i want to know some endurance and some aerobic exercises for inside and outside. and some strength and some resitance. sorry if this is a stupid thread but thanks =]

Hey. Not stupid at all. I started off just walking with my dogs and that really got the ball rolling. I now rollerblade, while pushing my two toddlers in the stroller. It is a blast. When it's too hot outside I will turn on the radio full blast and dance around with my kids and they love it. An hour into it my face is beet red, I'm out of breath and I'm sweating like a pig. But my kids love it. I do exercise videos in the morning, Slim in 6 is the best I have found so far. It really does a full body workout and it's low impact, but you feel it the next day. I am looking into getting a exercise bike or treadmill, as well. Good luck!

I had my band placed and filled on 7/14/09. I had been biking, swimming, weight training and playing tennis prior to that. I asked my doctor some very specific questions regarding what I could do post op. He suggested walking only at first. I can add swimming after my incisions heal and other activities after about a month.

and it doesnt matter how many miles you go right just how long you go?

yeah, work for time, not distance because you get faster at whatever you do anyway.

I reckon you cant beat things like running - and rollerblading with a stroller would be a GREAT workout. When I first started running, I pushed my then 3 year old in a stroller and it was really hard work.

nothing beats a good walk,..on the beach, at the lake,..at the mall,.. get out and move.go new places, see new things,... its really good just wo walk,.. i'm lookin on ebay for a wii fit.i know a lot of people who uses it and says its great

Find something that is FUN for you and that you like to do: walking, running, dance class/dancing, rollerskating/blading, biking, hiking, swimming, weight-lifting, eliptical-ing, yoga, water-aerobics, geo-caching, tennis, jump roping... I think whatever you do, it's important to set little mini-goals for yourself so that you're always improving (going further, going longer, going faster, getting stronger). My trainer said that the body is very good at adapting to a steady diet of doing the same thing--you need to change the intensity or the activity periodically. The mini-goals keep you going and keep you challenging yourself. It's fun when you realize that you are going further, going longer, going faster, and getting stronger!

Get a Wii and the Wii Fit game. Awesome way to get you started with some good cardio and some easy core strength excercises in private at home without feeling self-conscious. Time flies and you'll have 30 minutes of cardio in before you know it.

There is another Wii game called EA Active that takes it to the next level, you will actually feel sore the first few times and build muscle with this one.

At some point the games will get boring and you'll be ready to hit a gym, jog outside or other stuff in public. That means that mentally and physically you are ready to exercise for real.

I am a HUGE supporter of these 2 games. I'm not sure how else I could have transitioned from total couch potato to 4-5 times a week gym rat without them. If I tried to go straight to the gym in the shape I was in, I would have gotten discouraged and quit. Now I can't wait to go and it feels weird to miss a day.

I have to agree with Airkuhl!! A Wii system is probably the best investment I've made so far. I can't recommend it enough, ESPECIALLY if you are just starting out and have not been very active. Also, if you have kids, they can play along with you and feel like they are taking part in your success! My son LOVES it!

The Wii is a lot of fun and you really do get moving and your body feels it. Aside from the "fit" and the "active" programs, the bowling or tennis or boxing get you off the couch and are fun!