Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should you only eat when you get hungry?

Do you think that eating while you are not hungry is better than eating while you are hungry?

I have not been feeling the urge to eat lately, and i have been loosing weight a lot! but im never hungry, i just eat to eat because im either bored at work or afraid to die from empty stomach LOL

Should we eat when we are hungry or not??

Your body needs a certain number of calories to function everyday, whether you want to eat or not. If you decide not to eat at all or only eat rarely, you could start causing yourself problems. Don't drop below the recommended calorie intake your doctor recommends. I hear for most people on the board, it's about 1200 to 1500.

I dont believe in eating if you're truly not hungry. Sometimes when I have a late Breakfast, I'm very much NOT hungry for lunch, so I skip it. I might have a small snack later in the afternoon. Some days are short and I just dont need 3 meals.

Regardless of the fact that you shouldnt starve to lose weight i dont believe forcing food you dont want down is a healthy or rational way to treat food.< /p>

But by the same token, you do need to eat enough to be nourished and healthy. I'm talking about once in a while. If you're always very unhungry, I 'd consider that you may be a bit tight.

It was one of the things I asked my surgeon about. Her advice was not to eat if you aren't hungry. I am the same as RM sometimes I am busy and don't even think about lunch. I usually just have an early dinner and don't eat the rest of the night. I don't put the calories in just to put them in. I still lose weight.

The only thing I make sure I eat is Breakfast. Mainly because it's the most important meal of the day lol. Other than that, if I'm not hungry or a little peckish during lunch time I just have a bite or two and know that I'm fine with that even though I'm not full. Then by the time dinner comes around at 6 I'm usually hungry so then I eat

Your body needs a certain number of calories to function everyday, whether you want to eat or not. If you decide not to eat at all or only eat rarely, you could start causing yourself problems. Don't drop below the recommended calorie intake your doctor recommends. I hear for most people on the board, it's about 1200 to 1500.

I'm doing perfectly fine with about 400-600 calories, with enough energy to walk 3 miles without being wiped.

Keep in mind that as long as your nutrition including Protein is kept up, your calories should come from your stored body fat. Follow your surgeon's recommendations, but don't worry about "to little" calories -- only too little nutrients. Conversely, don't feel the need to boost your food intake if your nutritional requirements are already met.

I think first off you should NEVER eat just because you are bored! So easy to do, but so not a good habit!

My doc says to eat at the same 3 times each day (he's got a no Snacks rule, and considering I was a night time grazer, I am trying mightily to follow his advice) you can "train yourself" (like you do a pet! LOL) to be hungry ONLY at those times. It seems to be working pretty well for me so far.

I think it depends on each individual; some do better eating only when hungry, some do better with a regimen.

The problem with skipping meals is the tendency some have to think "well I skipped breakfast and lunch so it's ok if I eat blah blah blah NOW!" but not all do that.

I would love to be able to eat at the same 3 times a day and not be hungry inbetween. Hopefully after a couple of fills the not hungry inbetween will happen.

However with my job it is impossible to schedule eating times and no I'm not just making excuses. I'm a trainer and depending on the course and the client the times can vary widely.

Its good if I am doing a full day course as then I can normally have a break and lunch somewhere between 12 - 12.30. There are some courses that run from 10 - 2. these play havoc with lunch as by the time I'm finished I'm normally starving. Then probably the worst are the ones that run from approx 3.30 - 6.30 or 7. Especially as often I have an 60 - 90 min drive home. By the time I get home I am tired and starving! I don't mind taking food with me for lunch as there are lots of things that are easy to pack and eat but its difficult at dinner time as I want to be able to eat a "proper" meal. Also a lot of these late courses are at schools and they just want to get out and lock up as soon as the course is finished.

Eating cold food in my car in the dark really doesn't appeal.

Still trying to work out the best thing to do on days like these!

I hear you, elcee. When I was in school there literally were not 2 days (except Sat and Sun) where I COULD eat 3 meals at the same time each day.

That is harder than it sounds, isn't it? Right now I'm good w/lunch and supper. Breakfast is still a no-go...

It is taking an effort but I think it will be worth it. However I totally hear you; sometimes what we want to do and what we can do are two very different things!

I wish I had your problem. I have been there before, though, and it was just a phase for me. Now I am back to being hungry all the time. I was just at the doc and because I lost 15 lbs from my last visit a month ago, she wouldn't give me a fill. I was ok with it then, but now that I am having trouble controlling my portions, I want a fill. I know the more you eat, the hungrier you get, and I am sure it is because I have been eating more lately.

That being said, be careful. When I wasn't hungry (and you might not admit this to yourself) I was on a power trip. I loved not being hungry and didn't eat unless I was. After a while, I started to feel it not so good, and after bloodwork found I was deficient in vitD. I was loosing energy and just not right. Eventually I found a good place where I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, just didn't snack, and if I didn't want to or have time for a meal, I would eat a Meal Replacement bar or have a Protein shake. So if you aren't hungry, that is fine, but find a way to give your body what it needs. OK?

Im still not hungry most of the times, and when i am hungry i barely eat! food is not my passion anymore and whats worse is that i have this acid reflux that is killing me!

I guess i will have to visit my doc today:(

I had the same problem...never hungry (which I still don't see as a problem) and then the acid reflux. I was too tight. I went today, and they took .4 cc out of my band. I feel so much better. I wish I had done it sooner. I was miserable for a month.

Food is not my passion anymore and whats worse is that i have this acid reflux that is killing me!

Ah, but what a wonderful change in problems to have, eh? :smile2:

Good luck w/ the doc!

Ah, but what a wonderful change in problems to have, eh? :smile2:

Good luck w/ the doc!

LOL! Funny :crying:

are you mocking me :lol:

Even at two years out I have a problem if I don't eat every 4 hours. What happens for me is that if I go too long I pb and slime with the food that I do eat. Because of this, I usually have a healthy late afternoon snack of yogurt or nuts or fruit to hold me over until supper.

I love my band and my new flat tummy!

Sue