Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Somehow it doesn't matter anymore...

I was banded October 16, 2008. I am 55 years old. I live in RI. My starting weight was 220lb, now I am 196lb, I was 188 and loving it, my goal is 140lb. But, somehow, I've lost my way! I don't eat right, I eat too much, I don't exercise or keep a food diary. I know what I should be doing but, right now, it doesn't seem to matter. At first, I saw great results, but of course, I wasn't eating much. I've been unemployed for the last 2 months, so staying home with no money, sucks, but I seem to always have money to go out and eat or buy ice cream every day. If there is anyone around my area, that would be great. But, if there is anyone out there who is a great motivator, please answer! I am great at motivating other people, but I have a hard time motivating myself. I wish I had a buddy that would come over and just say, "hey, let's go walking or swimming, or to the gym." That would be great, kind of my own motivating trainer. Yea, that's it, only I can't afford one right now, boohoo. Anyway, Help!:frown:

Edited by bandedbird

God I sound pathetic!!!!!!

Hello, bandedbird, don't give up on yourself. you just have to get started again, in the morning wake up and start your journal and get on the exercise program and walk , get out of the house and do something good for yourself. there are people here for you and you can always talk to. We all need motivation this process is not easy. I thought the weight would come off faster and its like a regular diet but at least i do get full faster on a lot less. I was banded 5/19/09. I have had my first fill and getting ready in about 2 weeks for my next fill which i hope it helps alot. so hang in there put your shorts on and go for a swim .

ucdep99

I was banded October 16, 2008. I am 55 years old. I live in RI. My starting weight was 220lb, now I am 196lb, I was 188 and loving it, my goal is 140lb. But, somehow, I've lost my way! I don't eat right, I eat too much, I don't exercise or keep a food diary. I know what I should be doing but, right now, it doesn't seem to matter. At first, I saw great results, but of course, I wasn't eating much. I've been unemployed for the last 2 months, so staying home with no money, sucks, but I seem to always have money to go out and eat or buy ice cream every day. If there is anyone around my area, that would be great. But, if there is anyone out there who is a great motivator, please answer! I am great at motivating other people, but I have a hard time motivating myself. I wish I had a buddy that would come over and just say, "hey, let's go walking or swimming, or to the gym." That would be great, kind of my own motivating trainer. Yea, that's it, only I can't afford one right now, boohoo. Anyway, Help!:frown:

Sorry, I'm not in your area, but I sure can type on a computer. What kind of motivation do you want....something nice and encouraging? Or more like get off your a** and walk. Someone that would check with you every day (or most days) to make sure you are doing what you say you will do? Someone that would make you accountable because you would have to report in?

Well I'm not really much good at the nice part, but I can hold you accountable for check in's. I would do the same. I honestly could see myself slipping as my band opened up and allowed the not good stuff in and too much of it. And I don't like to exercise either. I do much better if I have to do it because I told someone else I have to do it and I have to check in. The only catch to this right now is I'm just barely past 1 week post-op and I'm still on a liquid diet. I don't start real food until 7-23. I can still do the food check in, but I'm still restricted on a lot of exercise until then too. Are you interested?

ee

Not sure where you're located BUT if you're in an apartment or subdivision with a resident clubhouse, post a message on the bulletin board asking for a walking buddy or gym buddy!

Where I live, LOTS of people walk on the track at the elementary school because not all subdivisions have sidewalks and the track is a lot safer. Walking there, I have met other regular walkers and an always count on them showing up and giving me someone to chat with as we walk.

I'd suggest driving by a couple of nearby schools that have a paved track at about the time most people get home in the afternoon and I bet you'll find a group of walkers too!

Keep an eye on people out in your neighborhood and just introduce yourself and ask if you can walk with them. I know that this is the hardest thing to do, so that's why it's at the end of my list.

We'll have you gotten off the couch in a few days. I have gotten sick since I responded to you in the last few days but on the road to recovery and looks like you have a few more motivators. Get off your butt and on your feet. If you don't move it you can't loose it. hahaha.

ucdep99

Do you truly want help...then you should respond either yes or no when some kind of help is offered.

I guess you just needed to post and now you are going to give up. Too bad....at least a couple of people thought you were worth it.

Hey there bandedbird I know it is easy to slip back into the old eating habits. You have to look yourselve in the mirror and say you can do it. I think we all struggle. If you can afford to eat out save that money a buy an exercise video or go to the libray and borrow one for free then use it. You will fell better if you just do it.