Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band June 30th when to expect first fill?

Hi I am probaley one of the last ones in June to be Banded. Not only was it the end of the month it was the end of the day (around 5:00pm I think). I stayed all night and didn't get in my room untill 10:00pm. So I appretiate all the fresh info the Junies have to offer. I was wondering how long after sugery you had your first fill and how did it go? If you haven't had a fill how are you doing? My biggest question is what is the first food you had after full liquids?

Hi. I had my surgery on September 19th, 08 and my first fill was on October 24th. I have had 4 fills - the first three were all about a month apart and the last one was 4 months later - I am at/close to my sweet spot and don't need another one for now. Some doctors will do them more often than once a month and some won't do them that often. Just depends on what your surgeon believes works best for his patients. My fills have all been done with fluoroscopy and have all been very easy and quick. My post-op diet was one week of thin liquids, one week of thicker liquids, one week of soft foods/mushies, and then onto solid foods. The soft food stage was when I got to have baked fish, mashed potatoes, refried Beans, pudding, tuna salad, scrambled eggs, well cooked veggies, and mashed up fruit. Again... everyone's doctors seem to have their own pre-op and post-op diets and it is always best to follow your surgeons orders. I do remember after being on mostly liquids for 6 weeks, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I had that first mouthful of mashed potatoes. Good luck to you. Take care. Becky

Edited by MissBS

It seems like everybody's doctor is different--some here have to wait 8 weeks post-op for their first fill, some 6, some 4. Mine was 4 and I have a second scheduled for 3 weeks after. My first and favorite mushies were scrambled eggs--also refried Beans. Those two meals were some of the best tasting foods I've ever eaten--you feel like those people on the show, Survivor, after not eating for so long. Hope you're feeling well after your surgery! :)

Banded 6/1/09 and had first fill yesterday (3cc) and have my next appointment in a month, but another patient at the same hospital who was the appt. just before me with a different doctor, got the same amount of fill but now she doesn't get another appt for 8 weeks. So even within the same clinic/hospital it can vary. But I think my daughter was 4-6 weeks out and first fill was 3 ccs also. So I'm assuming it will take about 3 months to get up to 5-6 ccs. But the 3cc was at least better than what I expected. I went in thinking I would get only 1-2 because of facility being conservativte on everything else.

Good luck

Trisha

I had my first return appt today with my surgeon. My first fill is scheduled Aug.11th wich is 6 wks after my surgery. My dr. said he put the larger band on me so after the swelling goes down it should be like I have no restriction. This is doable right? Ok clothes are getting looser. At appt today my weight is 49 pounds less that when I first started this process. It hard for me to comprehend almost 50 pounds. I know I have a long wasy to go but it seems like I am still at the begening. I don't know why.

I started playing in the band (or it started playing in me) June 4 and I got my first fill June 30.

Nicest surprise? It didn't hurt at all.

I was only on liquids the day after surgery, then limited amounts of pureed foods for 2 weeks. Eating real food is a delight, and eating a lot less of it is an even bigger one!

:smile2:

NYGuy how was it with pureed food before the fill? Where you satisfied with the recomended amount of food and how much food was that? How did things change after your firt fill? Thanks!

Hi I am probaley one of the last ones in June to be Banded. Not only was it the end of the month it was the end of the day (around 5:00pm I think). I stayed all night and didn't get in my room untill 10:00pm. So I appretiate all the fresh info the Junies have to offer. I was wondering how long after sugery you had your first fill and how did it go? If you haven't had a fill how are you doing? My biggest question is what is the first food you had after full liquids?

I was also banded on the 30th!

I won't have a fill for 6 weeks after my surgery date, which will be August 11th. I had some restriction from surgery the first few days but not as much now that I have healed some. I am still on full liquids and won't move into soft foods until 2 weeks post op. I feel like I can get more liquids in than the 1/2 cup I am supposed to get in a sitting. However, I am doing my best to practice those small portions so that when I do get a fill, I will be ready for eating a little at a time!

How are things going with you?

Amy it is so great to get to know you. I am on full liquids So far I have been having Slim Fast low carb 3x daily and Jello usally by the cup, some times once or twice. As the the day's from surgery get more I find it harder to stop with what I am eating. Today I had some Activia light vanialla yogurt. I am trying hard not to think about food but it seems like I don't have as much control over brain. I am feel more like my self (less sore and surprisingly even a little more energy). I hope things are going well for you. I think one thing is that the Dr' told me I had litttle to no restiction right now and that goes through my head when I get hungrey. But most people don't know this and don't understand why I should be hungrey.

Anothermom,

I really wasn't hungry for most of the first two weeks after surgery so the recommended amounts, an ounce of Protein five or so times a day and a little veg and one good Protein Shake were plenty for me.

Then, like so many others here, when I got on regular foods I discovered that I could eat big bites and as much as I wanted. That got me, like others, worried about lack of restriction, even though I was losing weight without it.

My first fill seems to have stopped my progression of eating more and more or at least slowed it.

I haven't gotten used to stopping the first time my body says "that's enough" yet. But then I've spent a lifetime eating the way I was taught, everything on the plate.

I was also banded June 30th. And I am on all real food this Tuesday.Nothing is off limits; and of course eating healthy foods and eating no more than a cup of food at each meal. Eating the Protein first. Then I get my first fill next Friday August 7th. I am pretty excited about that. But alittle nervous as well.

Banded: 06/30/09 CMC Manchester NH Dr. Connie Campbell

weight.png

Hey June 30th people I had my first fill Tuesday August 11th. 2.6cc I was pleased. I had to chugg H2O while getting my fill but it was painless. I think it helped things are going down slower. Did every one else have a good experience? I go back in 6 weeks.

Not doing as well. I found some lost pounds