Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help needed please..."hell"

I was banded on June 12th by Dr. K in Aurora Co (He did a great job, all went well). I am about 2.5 weeks post op, can eat anything I want and have no restrction. I am TRYING to be good...eating three times a day and having shakes (protien, not milk :). I have only lost about 15pounds since two weeks before surgery :( I can eat everything the same as before. I am trying to have modest portions but am afraid 1. I am stretching my pouch 2. I am not losing weight 3. I am a failure? My first fill is scheduled for July 13th and they said NO sooner!!!! What can I do? Should I go back to just liquid or mushies? ugh......any input is greatly appreciated! I am so discouraged because I keep reading "I lost thirty pounds since surgery" or "I have no appetite and can only eat 500 cals a day"...I am eating a lot more then that and am no longer losing :(:smile2::sad::mad2::thumbup::lol::frown::smile2::eek::w00t:

Hi there,

No worries. This part is really frustrating... I know, I've been there. I was banded on 23 Sept 2008 and have only recently had some restriction - after 10 fills. I have 6.5cc in a 10cc band. I also found it very disappointing when I read about people losing 30, 40, 50 pounds and I'm STILL at 26 lbs! Yesterday I read that someone banded a month after me has lost 110 lbs. Yup...I feel like a failure too! But...stuff takes time and I know my bad eating habits are causing my problem. So be patient and follow the rules [i didn't - hence my current situation]...and be patient...really.

Good Luck!

Hi. I could have written your post after my surgery. I was hungry when I was rolled into the operating room and I was hungry when I was rolled into the recovery room. I had NO restriction after my surgery. I could eat anything and found it very hard, and confusing, and didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. There were times I wondered if they had really even put a band in me. I measured and ate what I was supposed to - not what I could - but it was rough. Of course there were times I ate too much or somehting that might not have been the best choice.... but I did the best I could. I had NO restriction until my 3rd fill, which was 3 months after my surgery. You are NOT a failure - you are normal. I don't think you should go back to liquids or mushies - just keep trying to eat like you should. I don't think most people have great weight loss until they get restriction. Keep reading - there are a LOT of people like you.... struggling with the fact that you are using willpower alone right now. Just do your best and don't get discouraged. Once you start getting fills, things should get better. Keep reminding yourself why you did this. One day at a time.... that's my motto. Good luck and take care. Becky

Definintely don't worry at this point. I am the same as all of you. I was banded on 06-17-09 and have my first fill on 07-07-09. I have lost 10lbs but I think a lot of it was Water retention. There is no restriction on your band yet so it shouldn't have slipped. Everything is still going through the same channels as it was because you haven't had a fill yet. They have to give your body time to recover completely before restricting it. I was in the early stages of BMI 34 and luckily got banded before the weight got worse so my surgeon said I would lose a little slower than some that have more weight to lose. The most important thing is not to eat things that make you feel gasy at this point. And don't think about it so much. That is probably making things worse for you. I try to do things during the day and keep my mind off of it. I plan my meals and look forward to them but I find most of the time I don't eat very much once I sit down to eat even though I haven't had a fill yet. Hang in there and don't give up.

I am in the same situation...banded on 6.17. Had lost 35 pounds presurgery by willpower and eventually a two week liq. diet (ugh) and I guess my body was starving cause I have actually not lost any weight since surgery (week and a half now)...I dunno...I am hoping that once the fills start things will improved, but very frustrated as i am so close to "onederland" I can taste it, but can't drop these last seven lbs. to break through...I dunno..got a post op check up on wednesday so maybe that will give me some encouragement..came out of surgery with 4 cc's, but I guess that is not enough for me, cause I can eat pretty good and dont get that overstuffed sensation others have talked about...dunno...good luck and keep in touch I am interested to see how others in my similar situation have been coping...mentally and physically...

Hi. I could have written your post after my surgery. I was hungry when I was rolled into the operating room and I was hungry when I was rolled into the recovery room. I had NO restriction after my surgery. I could eat anything and found it very hard, and confusing, and didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. There were times I wondered if they had really even put a band in me. I measured and ate what I was supposed to - not what I could - but it was rough. Of course there were times I ate too much or somehting that might not have been the best choice.... but I did the best I could. I had NO restriction until my 3rd fill, which was 3 months after my surgery. You are NOT a failure - you are normal. I don't think you should go back to liquids or mushies - just keep trying to eat like you should. I don't think most people have great weight loss until they get restriction. Keep reading - there are a LOT of people like you.... struggling with the fact that you are using willpower alone right now. Just do your best and don't get discouraged. Once you start getting fills, things should get better. Keep reminding yourself why you did this. One day at a time.... that's my motto. Good luck and take care. Becky

O thank goodness u replied to this thread miss b....bc the way u felt when u first got banded is the way i feel.....no restriction and i have cheated with a couple things portion wise....but i see u have lost 78lbs since surgery so i see there is hope....as the original person said, i tool feel like i have stretched my pouch over one overeating session..which was half of a deli lettuce wrap with cheese and ham....no bread included....but i kinda ate i fast and i immediately felt sickish..so i stopped...but now i still feel miserable as that was like 6 hours ago..so im glad that im still full but other than that meal i still am soo hungry..and im kinda fighting with myself on whether its head hunger of if im really hungry...

Wow...what a relief that I am not alone...I had my band put on June 12-09, so I am entering week three and can eat anything...I have been aware of what I am eating and try to remember to take small bits and chew slowly...but lifelong habits are hard to break...so most of the time I'm eating just like I used to...I too wondered if they actually put the band in...I know they did because I saw the xray when I did the barium swallow...but I feel like I'm cheating by jumping ahead on my post-op diet guidelines. I have had NO problems with anything I have eaten so far...today I was very hungry, but I did good by eating veggies, skinless chicken, ham, cheese, strawberries, Protein Drink, etc. I am feeling frustrated because I was hoping that even before the fill I would feel restriction and loose some weight, I was hoping that I wouldn't feel hungry. I am worried that my cheating is going to cause complications down the road....I am anxious to have a fill in hopes that I will fee that restriction you all make reference to and I won't be hungry. I know I need to change some of my eating behavious and that the lapband is just a tool...but I feel like my tool is broken...lol I am just relieved that I am not the only one going through this. thans you for your honesty and willingness to share....:tongue2:

I was banded on 6-25-09 and so far have been weak and very tired. It seems I just get up and take my medicine, try to force a Protein drink down. I hate all of them. I want to give it all up and drink whatever I want. But I know I can't do that. I then usually walk about a 1/2 mile on the treadmill and then drink some more Water. Then I take my bath and try to get cleaned up. I have no energy. Everything I drink goes right through me, a whole lot like it went down. I don't have any desire to see anybody or do anything. I am so frustrated and now it is time to start it all over again this afternoon. Is everybody this tired?

Hi everyone. I was banded on 2/24/08. I had no restriction until I had a fill. I have now had two fills, and I have lost 34 pounds since being banded. Is it going fast? No. Do I lose every week? No Am I thrilled to have 34 pounds off my body? Absolutely! My knees feel great. I am back out of the larger size stores..right now a 16, but heading in the right direction!!! I get my third fill on Thursday and I am hoping that will be it for a few months. I hope I don't sound too much like a cheerleader, but this band will work for you if you give it a chance. If your experience is anything like mine, you will agree it was one of the best decisions you ever made...Do not get discouraged!! The first month or two is the hardest!

The first 3 days after my banding, I really did not want to do anything but sleep and lay down because that was the most comfortable position...I did not want to talk to anyone...but luckily my mom was with my during those first few days and she forced me to talk and to get up and walk. It helped that I was in Mexico and did not want to regret not doing any sightseeing or shopping. So on day three and four, I forced myself to get up, get dressed, and go walking through the streets of Mexico...and it did help with the bloating! You are walking and that is good....keep doing it...you should start feeling better shortly. As far as being weak...are you drinking enough calories? If you aren't, that could be contributing to your weak feelings. I was bad last night...I have a terrible habit that when I get up in the middle of the night I feel like I need to eat something. I couldn't sleep and was laying in bed thinking about the cookie dough in the bottom of the crisper drawer...I got up and ate some...not one, but a lot more and I'm to embarrassed to say how many exactly. But today is a new day and I'm off to work with some skinless chicken, some veggies, and a pear....so it will be a better day!:tongue2:

I was banded on the 22nd of June. I'm already down 11 pounds. NO idea how that happened and I honestly don't even care that much. I'm already SICK (literally makes me want to hurl) of cream Soups. So won't do that anymore. Thank God for Eggbeaters. It's warm and I can chew. Otherwise I would go crazy living on Protein shakes and Jello. Oh wait I have. (I hate yogurt and cottage cheese so those are out!) I know that everyone has different diet plans afterwards, and I'd like to stress that I've stuck to mine but am completely miserable. I feel like I'm starving. And yes, I'm drinking and yes I'm getting in my Protein. I'm absoluetly dying for pizza and cannot stop thinking about it. I'm crying a lot and wondering what the hell did I do to myself. Can someone please confirm for me that at some point in the future I will be able to nibble on a piece of pizza without my band exploding? I'm so terrified of doing something wrong but while I knew I had to eat healthy (obviously when I'm at a later stage and not my liquid stage), I was sort of under the impression that I could eat almost anything but with the restriction I wouldn't be binging like I was before. Now I'm scared of even peeking at the next stage which is moist protein...3 oz of chicken?? Argh!!! :tongue2:

Does anyone eat cake at a birthday party (obviously very must post-op)? Like literally I am wondering if everyone out there is an angel?????

I had my surgery June 1st. I can echo everything posted. I have not had a fill yet. First fill is July 21st. I too feel "normal". I can eat like I did before surgery pretty much--I don't eat bad too often mostly out of paranoia. But now and then, I am anxious, stressed or just $%#@ hungry and I over do it a little, but then the next day get back to the program. No big deal. The band is not perfect. I am not perfect. We are not expected to follow the guidleine perfectly. I think this is "engineered" into the band--that is to say that occasional over doing it etc is life. Out of control over doing it on a regular basis may equate to another surgery--who wants that?

Do your best. Once the fills start--I will need to be especially careful, mindful, and more purposefull in my eating more so than now.--

in response to Brendac, I was banded on July 12th 09. I was good with the resting and stuff while I was off work but once I went back and back to somewhat normal activity, I am very tired. My doc keeps assuring me it's normal and your body is just adjusting to just having major abdominal surgery. I am also in that 'hell'. I am trying really hard to avoid all things 'bad' and sticking to the purreed foods but i don't know how long I will hold out. I am glad that I am not the only one. And makes me feel a little better to know if I break (like cookie dought), I can get back on track and learn from it. Thanks all! :thumbup: