Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I feel like crap?

Something is wrong with me. I don’t think it’s serious or dangerous or anything like that, but I would desperately like to find out what is going on and remedy it.

I was banded 14 months ago at a weight of 321 lbs. I now weigh approximately 155 lbs. I am a size 10 in clothing (down from a size 30). I have had 3 fills, the last one about one year ago. And although I honestly feel like the weight loss has not been difficult at all, I have consistently worked hard to continue losing (no significant plateaus for me). I began exercising at about 270 lbs and began jogging at 250 lbs. My muscles and joints were and continue to be in good, normal working order. At one point I did suffer occasional muscle strain, but that has gone away in the last 50 lbs or so.

So, what’s my problem?

About a month or so ago, I started feeling a bit run down. It’s off and on but its wrecking havoc on both my work out routine and my daily life style. But it’s more than that:

1) When I stand up too fast, sometimes I get very dizzy. I haven’t passed out, nor do I feel I’ve come close to passing out, but the feeling is rather absurd and I’d like to get rid of it.

2) I tend to get very weak after I exercise. This didn’t used to be a problem and I have cut back some on my routine in order to keep it from happening. I do not want to do that!

3) I have either overcome my addiction to food or I have lost my appetite. My band is looser than it has been since before my third fill but I am still not consuming more food than I used to. I will start to eat and after a few minutes, get ‘bored’ with the food and go find something else to do.

4) I find myself consuming more chocolate than I used to but ironically I seem to crave all other carbohydrates much less than I used to.

Ok, so I’m thinking malnutrition but I don’t know exactly what I’m missing. As I’ve stated already, I do eat a lot of chocolate (about 200 – 300 calories worth a day). I am off and on with the Protein but more on than off. I get at least 50 – 60 grams on an average day. Carbs like fruits and grains seem to have become a thing of the past. I no longer crave them (and I used to be a starch junkie) and I have to force myself to even COOK them when I’m cooking dinner for the family.

About 4 months ago, I developed a taste for orange juice but within 8 weeks, I had a kidney stone and various people have suggested the two are related. I still drink about 1 to 2 glasses of orange juice a day.

About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with ADHD (it was a shock to everyone) and began taking Adderall. That could have something to do with it too.

Ok, here’s the point I’m getting: I am still losing around 10 lbs a month even though I have tried to slow down (although not very hard). I don’t and never have counted calories so I have absolutely no idea how much I consume a day. I don’t hold back or deny myself anything I want.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get to feeling better? I don’t feel sick or miserable, but I am certainly slowing down internally a bit. I’m almost 99% sure it’s my food intake, but what can I do to make sure I’m getting all the nutrition my body desperately needs? I am open to anything at this point – I want to continue losing weight but it’s more important right now for me to be healthy.

You need to see a Dr and get a few things checked out.

1) When I stand up too fast, sometimes I get very dizzy. I haven’t passed out, nor do I feel I’ve come close to passing out, but the feeling is rather absurd and I’d like to get rid of it.

This sounds as though it could be low blood pressure, low Iron or even hypoglycaemia. All of which could be caused by dietary deficiencies.

2) I tend to get very weak after I exercise. This didn’t used to be a problem and I have cut back some on my routine in order to keep it from happening. I do not want to do that!

Again if you don't have the correct nutrition to support your exercise regime it is going to cause problems. maybe you are not eating enough red meat or there could be other Vitamin deficiencies due to the low level of vegies being consumed.

It's good that you have recognised that your health rather than continued weight loss is the most important factor.I am sure that some blood tests will quickly help identify the problem.

Good luck hope you feel better soon

Due to side effects including appetite suppression and weight loss, Adderall has also been used as an off-label drug for obesity. You aren't obese any longer.

I have no clue how much more you need to lose but this drug you're taking seems to be working against you. I am sure you realize only a doctor can help you with this matter. None of us would ever want to steer you wrong. It doesn't seem normal for you to be going through this.

Do the smart thing and see a nutrtionist maybe with what you are eating and maybe they can suggest your next step.

That drug even talks about depression and maybe you are going through something mental that you can't put your finger on.

Josephine

Definitely the medication acts as an appetite suppressant and you are probably going to have to force yourself to eat to some degree.

If you're exercising hard, you do NEED carbs. I dont think the amount of Protein would be a problem, so much as you might be low on Iron. Or blood pressure.

But you definitely sound run down and as if you're not fuelling the amount of energy you burn. The only way to be sure is to go to your doc, have some bloodwork, and you may need to be supplementing more heavily.

Like Josephine, I would bet money its the Adderall.

Edited by Jachut

Whatever doctor prescribed the Adderall should do complete blood work, including your thyroid function. You have some very specific symptoms that should not be ignored. Take care and good luck.

I was severely anemic a few years ago secondary to fibroids and I felt the same way you are describing. If I were you, I would get my Iron levels checked.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Have you checked your Iron levels lately? I'm prone to anemia (genetic thing) and your symptoms sounds somewhat similar. Also, I had a friend who had a gastric bypass and after losing 200lbs, she developed severe anemia with symptoms similar to yours.

I just had bloodwork done and found I was low in VitD

Go to doc and tell him your fatigue and other issues. Ask for a full blood work-up of everything. They took about 11 vials of blood out of me (I wanted juice and cookie when they were done).

Get checked.