Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am sick!! Please help me!

I was banded on June 17th and have had nausea ever since. I have been on liquids since 10 days pre op. I have no appetite to drink or eat anything at all. I try to keep drinking Water, crystal light etc... I am soooooo sick right now it the worst day yet! my mouth is dry and it tatse terrible. My tounge is green/gray and thick and gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please someone tell me what will make me feel better besides the meds. i am taking the nausea medicince. I have lost 37 pounds in the last 16 days. Im at the point of wondering why I did this. I don't fell like I will ever get better!!!! Im sorry to whine on here but i figured someone may be able to share the experience or know what to do.

I dont mean to sound abrupt but you should definitely call your doctor asap. Have you taken your temperature? Make sure you do not have a fever as well.

Call your dr and don't feel bad one little minute for calling him/her during non-office hours. Your dr. needs to hear how you are doing and have the opportunity to give you some suggestions that should make you much more comfortable. I had it very rough in the beginning and understand where you are coming from. I doubted my choice for quite a while- it will improve- just call your dr. and get some help so that you can feel better.

Thanks. I have taken my temp but thats normal. I called him and they said to go ahead and try mushed up scrambled eggs, or cotage cheese. I did. No help :( I'm gonna call the office again in the morning.

ya know I think I may be having issues with all the sugar free sweetner (aspertame or whatever they put in that stuff). I don't know its the only thing I can think of.

That's a possibility. Try backing off the sugar free stuff. My doctor doesn't want us to do any sugar free until after the first fill. The pudding and Carnation Instant Breakfasts he wants them all to be "regular" and not sugar free. I never asked him why, but I wonder if the artificial sweetener might have something to do with it?

Daren--Hope you feel better! Yes--get off ALL the sugar free stuff. Just focus on HEALING right now. Drink whatever you can keep down. Track your calories and make sure you are getting enough---if not then drink milkshakes or anything rich. YOu've got to get better right now. MY DR says NO sugar free as well until AFTER first fill.

As others have said -- Stay in touch with your Doctor ( daily if necessary). You still need to get some Protein in you for energy. Try and get a Protein Drink in you in the am and pm....Also, you need to stay hydrated. Drink Water without any additives.

How do you react to anesthesia ?? Your nausea could be related to the anesthesia. For some, it takes a week to get out of the system.

Good Luck and you'll feel better.....

You guys are all awesome! I knew posting was the right thing to do! Ok I slept okay and I feel a little better this morning. I just ate 2tbl of cream of wheat and a sip of 2% milk and it actually tasted good. No sickness yet. Thanks to everyone and Ill check in tonight with an update. l'll also call the dr office and get their feedback.

It's only been a few days, I had nausea problems and had meds. One thing I liked about where I had my surgery is they keep you overnight and give anti-nausea meds intravenously. I think that helped a great deal. I ended up allergic to soy Protein drinks gave me the "trots" and upset my tummy. I am fine now. I just don't particularly like soy products.

Clear beef and chicken broth, warm not too hot are soothing and green tea is good also.

It goes away in a week or so after surgery. So don't worry you will feel so much better in a week or two.

I was very nausous for 5-6 days post op....When I started eating mushed foods like, refried Beans, cottage cheese, etc is when it went away....hang in there and start eating some real food. get off the liquids.

Drank 1/2 cup 100% apple juice diluted with 1/2 cup Water. Feelin like a champ so far! My mouth has cleared up significantly and I don't have that sick feeling right now. I am going to make some egg salad, get some refried Beans, instant mashed potatoes, and cottage cheese at the store to try them and prepare for work this week. Any other food suggestions appreciated!

I REALLY believe the sugar free addatives had something to do with my sickness! Lesson learned!

Edited by daren

I went to the store and bought some of their deli Soup then took it home and blended it, added broth if necessary to make it thin enough to fit through a straw. It was good and something different. I liked the cheddar potato soup this way as it had actual flavor. Good luck but go easy and keep the liquids thin. Yes those darn sugar substitutes can make you feel blah especially if you are not used to them.