Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read post where people express that they can only eat small amounts.

As for me it has been that I can eat almost as much as preop.

Tonite I decide to eat slow and see where I would start getting full at.

I had a 10 oz steak 6 shrimp 1/2 bead 1/2 of the home fries and a small serving of veggies before I got full enough to want to quit.

Up to this point I have lost over 40 lbs but by mostly haveing Protein Shakes in replacement of solid food.< /p>

This seems like way to much and makes me wonder about the size of my pouch. Any one else in the same boat?

Regards.

I have only had 1 fill but it was 4cc's. I am able to eat between 1-2 cups of food at a time..it sounds to me like you would probably need a fill?? Have you had any fills yet??

Hello and yes. I have a 10cc band, the 1st fill was 4cc then a 2cc, next fill is on 7-15. At this rate I am worried that it will be very easy to regain the weight. I wished I was like the people who say they can only eat small amounts, to be honest that is what I expected from the band. The problem is when I quit eating before I'm full then I want to snack between meals. Either 1 of these things is not good. The only time I felt like I should watch the volume was right after surgery when the stoma is tramitized.

Sounds like you need another fill. I've had two fills, and I can eat about a cup then I am full. Also, there is a website, Five Day WLS Pouch Test (?), that I've read about on this blog. You might want to see if you can google/bing that website. It has some good advice to see if your pouch is stretched.

I agree, it's all in the fill. I could eat large quantities (not as much as preband, but still a LOT) of food until I finally got restriction. When you start to get "filled" you'll see a little bit of sterile saline goes a long way. For example, at 6.0 cc I could still eat normally (a "normal" plate of food for example) and at 6.25 cc I couldn't even eat half as much and many old favorites got stuck if I didn't chew the dickens out of them. So that 1/4 cc (which is a very little bit of liquid...15 cc is a tablespoon) makes a big difference. That "little bit for a big effect" is pretty common for us bandsters!

Keep the faith; it will happen for you!

I definately couldn't imagine being able to eat as large of a meal as you described. I do eat more than I should, though. I am still on the week of mushies, but I can easily consume a full cup of oatmeal...and half cup does nothing for me. I am trying very hard to not stretch out my new pouch, and am anxious to get my first fill. Since I have about 5 weeks to go before my fill, I have to just use some restraint. I think it's time you discussed your appetite to your doctor, and either get a fill ASAP, or use some restraint.

I hate to say this, but I don't think I could eat that big of a meal right now, unbanded!

You mentioned that you have had your fills and that you are taking small bites, but are you drinking any liquids during your meal?

That will definitely allow for greater consumption during a meal.

I was banded in April and have had 3 fills (total 3.7 cc's) to date. My nurse and I both feel I'm getting pretty close to restriction and I feel tight in the mornings and gurgle in my throat alot. I hesitate to get much more restriction and have trouble with liquids and most solid foods. Right now, I'm able to eat a Lean Cuisine, Health Choice or Smart Ones entree and be fine for lunch. Usually 9-11 oz of food.

It does seem to really make a difference if you drink during your meals. I try and wait at least an hour if not longer before I start to drink something again. If it is going to be too long between meals due to my schedule, I always try and keep some homemade "trail" mix or pudding on hand to tie me over. Remember, it's not just the quantity of food, but the quality too. The frozen Entrees are more for convenience than anything, but at least many are a good Protein source and have Portion Control built in.

It definitely sounds like you need a fill to me. I could eat alot more after my first fill than I can now. And it depends on the food itself as to how much I can eat. Whether it's solid or "soft". The band can be a really fickle thing. :smile2:

I agree with everyone else that you most likley need a fill. I'm a year out (surgery was 6/24/08) - I've always made a point of only eating a cup (max) per meal. I eat from the one cup glad storage cont - that way. My latest fill last week - went to 7.5 in my 10 cc band. Yes, I pick @ my meals right now more than eat - but I'm getting my Protein & the scale has started to move again.

Remember you need to use the band as the tool that it is!

Good luck!

Have you tried eating your meat first (slowly) then wait a min or two before moving onto other foods? this might fill you up a bit more so you dont need to carry on eating, But i also agree with the others it sounds like you need more restriction in your band?

I also agree with everyone else that you prob need a fill but if you don't mind I'd like to suggest that maybe you shouldnt be testing your band like that. When I was first banded almost a year ago I never tested my band like that because I didnt wont to know how much I could eat. I never stoped eating when I was full, I always stoped well before that, when I wasnt hungry any more. I hope thats not confusing. I object of eating isnt to become full but to just get in enough to statsify your hunger and have enough in you to keep the weight lose going. Try not to eat until you are full,try not to test your band so much, try to drink enough between meals and get in your Protein. Its hard but we have to change our mind set on how and why we eat now with the band. I have great restriction now and with more fills you will get it also, the true test is doing our best to stay with the plan until we acheive real restriction. So our band is can do the job it was put in for. Good luck with you weight lose.