Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regrets about lapband choice?

wasa - didn't you have a timeline of banded persons & their feelings / experiences?

i like my band but i have to work it daily & i know it's there ALL the time. my port is / has been exposed, infected & sore since it went in oct '07. i have a "turkey done look" all the time, better than fat....i KNOW.

i don't see it's longevity in me - i was a blind WLS patient going in.....much more informed now, if something does go wrong i will not hesitate to remedy. would i do it again, knowing what i know now - probably not.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi! I just wanted to put in the 2 cents. I don't think I would go back at this point, but I had put all my 'eggs' in the Lapband basket. :smile2:

I have lost almost 70 pounds now and I had surgery last October. Weight wise, I couldn't be happier wth the rate I am going. I expect to hit goal by Christmas.

But do I have regrets? A little. I don't know where I would be today without my band, but I figure I would've figured something out - because at 250 lbs I was miserable. BUT I wish I hadn't thought it was going to be the 'same' as before. I have had some problems, undiagnosed side effects and random pains, food intolerances, etc. My body reacted different than most when I got in there and messed around with things. I figure it is OK, and it is worth it (the side effects) but I didn't expect them. I wish I would've thought that they might be there, and THEN weigh out how bad I wanted this. I PROBABLY would've still done this, but I have had a lot of mental issues with dealing with the tummy issues I have. I just kinda thought, 8 months later, I would feel like a normal person. But I feel like a person with a 'lapband' inside of me with it's own effects on my body.

Everyone is different. Many people have little issues. I have optimism some of my issues will slowly fade with the weight, and I wonder if I am reasked this question in a few years what my answer will then be. I have a feeling it will be strongly in one way or another. I will have no regret, or I will regret it. Maybe it is too soon to tell.

Anyway, good for you for doing research. All bodies and mind are different, and we are all going to have good, insightful opinions and I love to read everyone's.

Yes, the opinion that those who have had bypass are not human? Is that an example of what you wrote of when you wrote that we have to respect everyone's opinions? Yeah, it's not going to happen.

That's not an opinion, that is sheer idiocy.

HH... I was going to PM you a link to that post but I honestly decided against it just because it is so ... what's the word? Lacking in civility? Insulting? Offensive? Degrading? Demoralizing? Tacky?

Wasa, I appreciate you considering sending me a link to this.

But, you didn't have to. Because, I could SMELL this one halfway across the planet. This one stinks like the bathroom of a South Texas taco stand.

You know, I have made the observation before that there are people whom have had the Lap Band installed incorrectly. Situations where the band was probably OVERFILLED and the resulting restriction actually cut off the supply of blood to the brain.

And that would have been my intial response to the...uh..."thing' that made THAT particular post.

However, upon reflection, it occured to me that to have the blood supply to the brain cut off....well, one would first have to actually HAVE a brain. I do not suspect this to be the case in this situation. I have to think that there is simply a large, gaping cavity that sits inside the chamber affixed to her neck, that serves as some form of air-filtering mechanism or some other life-supporting device of some kind.

But Brain? No. Not likely. No mechanism for critical thinking. No device for intelligent, rational thought. nothing. Zip. nada. airspace. fog. And not even a high-quality fog like that which you might find over the bay in San francisco. A putrid, stale, disgusting, sticky/humid mass of nothingness that serves only to perpetuate it's own existence.

I know I'm being a little vague in describing how I feel about this individual, and I apologize for that, I really do. I usually try to be a little more up front and outspoken when describing my feelings.

But THIS post, and THIS poster has left me uncharacteristically speechless. But I'm quite thrilled as well. This is a once-in-a-lifetime, folks. You will probably NEVER see THIS level of stupidity and ignorance in public again.

At least not until her next post. :thumbup:

Or until Bush runs for office again.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

To be honest, I wasn't at all aware that I'd be in so much pain after surgery. Everyone, [even the packets of information I was given] was saying that I'd be up and around pretty much immediately. Everyone IS different, of course.

But I didn't at all appreciate the comments of "Everyone's different..... but most people recover fairly quickly" from fellow Lap Band patients. That's not going to help ANYONE. You need to be prepared and I'm sorry I wasn't. That would've been a major factor in my decision.

I didn't feel back up to 80% until about 3 weeks after my surgery. I have bad days where I just wonder what the hell I did to myself... its never a sadness over not being able to eat a certain thing though. I still experience pain in my largest incision and I'm over a month out.

BUT

I look at what I eat now and I really feel good about myself. The surgery has made me much more aware of what I put into my body and I feel healthy. I never eat and feel sluggish or regret. :thumbup:

Honestymm,

Wow, tell us how you really feel!!!! And by the way I still have my stomach it's just stapled into a smaller pouch kind of like your band gives you a smaller pouch. When I was in the hospital last week wishing I would die due to my pain I didn't consider that the easy way out! Nancy.:thumbup:

look at the ones who are being so offensive when im only stating my opinion and the words of my 3 friends that has had the gastic bypass as one of my friends say she feels unhuman....but talking about ignorance..idk ur exact name idk..look at the names you are calling me..when i never said no ones name im speaking of my friends who has had the gastric bypass...just like ur putting out ur negative things uve been through with lapband..im putting in the negatives from me besties..at the end i said sorry if i offend anyone...but i don't stay on the internet 24/7 i have a familly and a life i was just reading post and i put my opinion in after all this is what this is for..no have the 100% accurate information for anything in this world..but the ignorance is all on u and it shows deeply...so many hypocrites in this world and less honesty and straight up communication...i feel bad for those closed-minded ppl...have a great day won't be entertaining this subject anymore...good day

No, actually I do not love hormones. You are just testy because we all called you on some very poor behaviors on your part yesterday and today. So I can assure you, it is not me that needs to chill.

With limited knowledge you are trying to discuss something you really know very little about and with each post you make it more and more clear.

Ahh! I see, you have a "Hidden Agenda"!

To be sure, I'm not all all "testy" in fact, it very much appears that you are the one with the chip on your shoulder! Your entire demeanor in your replies to ME have been hostile and confrontational.

I will beat this dead horse yet again, I was not challenging your comments, I was simply adding additional context on restriction.

Sorry that upset you, but such is life!

And it's a shame you can't deal with the fact that people disagree with you.

I am no more concerned about what people think, feel, say or do about me based on my very legitimate OPINIONS regarding the "other thread" than I am whether you do -- as you will notice, in that thread I stated my opinion, based on the OP's purpose for the post, and left the thread for a reason. I feel the way I do. It's not up for argument or discussion.

You apparently don't follow my posts. I'm nothing but supportive, congenial, empathetic and kind to everyone on this forum. I simply don't have time for the one poster I believe is either 1) not telling us the truth, or 2) may possibly have other "issues." Again, sorry you don't like that, but then, I'm sure that there are things that people you love do all the time that you don't like. Do you write them off forever, too? Or become hostile and confrontational, JUST because you can? Kooky.

You should learn to have a less hostile demeanor. All that stress over the opinions of complete strangers can test your blood pressure! :thumbup:

Also, FYI, it's terribly bad forum etiquette to carry over "feuds" into other threads, even though the feud is apparently only one sided!

Tsk tsk! :thumbup:

Edited by TopTier
clarification

Headhunter....

I'm a happily married fat chick BUT

I think I have a crush on you. :)

Hey, Are you steppin' out on me, monkey?!? The nerve!! :(

Wasa, I appreciate you considering sending me a link to this.

But, you didn't have to.

OK, HH, You already corrected hone on her opinion once....so lay off the personal attacks, ok? There's no need to escalate the situation right now.

Plain...you haven't been around. A girl's got needs you know......

OK, HH, You already corrected hone on her opinion once....so lay off the personal attacks, ok? There's no need to escalate the situation right now.

And thank you for your Opinion. I will deposit it precisely where it belongs.

HH

And thank you for your Opinion. I will deposit it precisely where it belongs.

In the Douchebag Hall of Fame? I've been trying to gain admittance for years.

lol, lol, lol, lol, lol, lol, lol, lol