Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

regrets about lapband choice?

:smile2:I am proceeding with the process of having surgery and feel fairly confident choosing the lapband procedure, but I am wondering if anyone who has had the surgery regrets having it altogether or wishes they had chosen the bypass procedure? This site is a great resource for those of us who are new to the process. Thanks, in advance, for any responses.

I've had the band for over a year. I have a 9cc band and it's been filled upto 6cc and only lost 30lbs. I'm not sure if it's me or my dr. I have a follow up appointment this friday.

No, this isn't correct. When you eat food there is a chain or a cascade of hormonal changes that go into effect throughout the GI system.

It is not as simple as you make it sound.

Please take of your narrow-mind glasses. I'm not discounting your hormones. I get it. You love hormones.

But I'm also providing additional context regarding the receptors in the stomach. It really is more complicated than you are allowing for, too. I'm not making it "simple." I'm explaining the mechanics of the restriction and why it works the way IT does. ALONG with hormones.

So please chill out. And yes it IS correct, in terms of RESTRICTION. It's not "simply" restriction. It's "restriction with a purpose."

Good grief.

i am also one who loves my band..ive lost close to 20 lbs now in two weeks..i just believe gastic bypass is the laziest way to lose weight..u have half the stomach you was put on this earth for and its not healthy at all....ppl get it because they don't have control over there own being..can't control what they eat or how much..it goes from ur mouth out ur behind..nothing in between..i mean its great for ppl who have several severe illnesses and that are heavily overweight 400+ (my opinion) but the lapband helps ppl who truly want to become 100% healthy without the long term things that will happen with gastic bypass...something you'll always have to deal with can't be healthy at all regardless 90% of the ppl ive seen with gastric bypass are what u call (skinny-fat ppl) meaning even though they are then..they still have the same body fat % as they had when the weight was there..and also if you do ur research then youll know whats right for you..lapband is the safest wls every..and i had the single incision so its even gettin better than it was 2 months ago..good luck everyone..sorry if any offended..this is my opinion ive had several friends with the gastric bypass and i know personally

Edited by *Susan*
Many members found a particular statement to be insulting.

Having fun? :smile2:

I simply provided added context. The location of the receptors for "full" absolutely are important, otherwise we'd simply be "restricted" and still feel hungry. Again, just adding more context. Not sure why that bothers you. . .

Please take of your narrow-mind glasses. I'm not discounting your hormones. I get it. You love hormones.

But I'm also providing additional context regarding the receptors in the stomach. It really is more complicated than you are allowing for, too. I'm not making it "simple." I'm explaining the mechanics of the restriction and why it works the way IT does. ALONG with hormones.

So please chill out. And yes it IS correct, in terms of RESTRICTION. It's not "simply" restriction. It's "restriction with a purpose."

Good grief.

No, actually I do not love hormones. You are just testy because we all called you on some very poor behaviors on your part yesterday and today. So I can assure you, it is not me that needs to chill.

With limited knowledge you are trying to discuss something you really know very little about and with each post you make it more and more clear.

i am also one who loves my band..ive lost close to 20 lbs now in two weeks..i just believe gastic bypass is the laziest way to lose weight..

Where are you getting your information?

..u have half the stomach you was put on this earth for
No, this is not correct information.
and its not healthy at all....ppl get it because they don't have control over there own being..can't control what they eat or how much
I have news for you, you do not have control either. That is why you need a lap band. That is why we all need surgery.
lapband is the safest wls every..and i had the single incision so its even gettin better than it was 2 months ago..good luck everyone..sorry if any offended..this is my opinion ive had several friends with the gastric bypass and i know personally
Yes, the lap band is the safest surgery by less than 1% but long term the sleeve is the safest procedure.

Edited by *Susan*
Remove offensive quote from previous poster.

First off I would like to say, I haven't been banded YET!!!

OHH TopTier, Congrats your surgery is tomorrow...My husbands birthday... Anyway, I am choosing the band because that is what I feel is right for me. I have about 100 lbs to lose. My mom on the other hand has about 250 lbs to lose and she is choosing the RNY. Now my Aunt had GB about 5 years ago. She did loose 120 lbs but has gained back about 50 or so and is now wanting the LapBand. When you go into WLS you choose what you think is best for you but that surgery may not agree with you. I am just hoping all the best for me and my mother and hope we have made the right choice!!!! I hope I have no regrets!!!!!

i am also one who loves my band..ive lost close to 20 lbs now in two weeks..i just believe gastic bypass is the laziest way to lose weight....u have half the stomach you was put on this earth for and its not healthy at all....ppl get it because they don't have control over there own being..can't control what they eat or how much..it goes from ur mouth out ur behind..nothing in between..i mean its great for ppl who have several severe illnesses and that are heavily overweight 400+ (my opinion) but the lapband helps ppl who truly want to become 100% healthy without the long term things that will happen with gastic bypass...something you'll always have to deal with can't be healthy at all regardless 90% of the ppl ive seen with gastric bypass are what u call (skinny-fat ppl) meaning even though they are then..they still have the same body fat % as they had when the weight was there..and also if you do ur research then youll know whats right for you..lapband is the safest wls every..and i had the single incision so its even gettin better than it was 2 months ago..good luck everyone..sorry if any offended..this is my opinion ive had several friends with the gastric bypass and i know personally

Yeah, your post is particularly offensive. I hate to break it to you hun, but having a silicone tube around your stomach to control overeating is not exactly natural either. If there's one thing that really bothers me on these boards it's WLS snobbery.

Edited by *Susan*
Remove offensive quote from OP

To the OP: I think it's too early out to make a judgment about my band. I do have to say that prior to having the band I was a "healthy" fat person. I had no comorbidities. That's probably only due to my age and was just a matter of time before I developed something. I will admit my motivation was largely beauty based. I didn't like being fat anymore. So the fact that I wasn't seriously suffering any conditions before the band probably bears a little on my thoughts thus far.

I do have some complaints about the band. I tend to get awful shoulder pain after fills. I also have pretty constant port pain. Sure, it's livable but I don't particularly like it. It's enough that it bothers me and others notice.

If my insurance had covered the sleeve, I would have opted for that. I'm not really as concerned about the reversibility thing that others seems to be hung up on. I don't want to be fat...ever. I plan on converting to a sleeve when either my insurance covers it or I can save enough to do so.

i am also one who loves my band..ive lost close to 20 lbs now in two weeks..i just believe gastic bypass is the laziest way to lose weight....u have half the stomach you was put on this earth for and its not healthy at all....ppl get it because they don't have control over there own being..can't control what they eat or how much..it goes from ur mouth out ur behind..nothing in between..i mean its great for ppl who have several severe illnesses and that are heavily overweight 400+ (my opinion) but the lapband helps ppl who truly want to become 100% healthy without the long term things that will happen with gastic bypass...something you'll always have to deal with can't be healthy at all regardless 90% of the ppl ive seen with gastric bypass are what u call (skinny-fat ppl) meaning even though they are then..they still have the same body fat % as they had when the weight was there..and also if you do ur research then youll know whats right for you..lapband is the safest wls every..and i had the single incision so its even gettin better than it was 2 months ago..good luck everyone..sorry if any offended..this is my opinion ive had several friends with the gastric bypass and i know personally

Moderators….Jack, Susan, etc…..I fully understand the concept of attacking an IDEA, and NOT a person. I do my best to comply, though I sometimes move perilously close to the line. I am hoping that in THIS case, you will allow me to vent a bit more “personally” than I would normally. The “not human anymore” because of a WLS choice is in a completely different stratosphere than the basically innocuous stuff that normally goes on here.

Thank You.

"not really human anymore”.

Lol.

No. You didn’t REALLY say that, now did you?

You didn’t actually say that the bypass is the Laziest way to lose weight. You couldn’t have.

You didn’t REALLY say that someone who has a bypass is “not really human anymore”.

Nah. It’s my imagination. It COULDN’T have happened.

Because…..

It would take an abject moron with the brain of a cockroach to actually SAY something like that. It would reveal a sensibility SO lacking in any form of intelligence that they should probably be euthanized for the betterment of humankind. Anyone who would actually SAY something THAT inane, that stupid, that imbecilic should be removed permanently from the gene pool, and have any trace of their DNA burned.

So, no, you didn’t actually SAY that.

But if you DID…...I would stand in awe of you. I would bow in your presence. BECAUSE, I would have been witness to the most absolutely retarded, inane piece of crap EVER having been spoken online. And, you know, it’s not very often in life that we are able to witness an “absolute” of ANY kind. To be able to observe, first hand, the DUMBEST human to ever walk upon this earth is indeed a privilege. And it’s not simply to be able to witness someone reveal their personal retardation…..it’s that they would do it SO PUBLICLY that is amazing.

You see, when most people exhibit their intellectual shortcomings, it’s usually in a back room somewhere, where they tell nasty racist jokes, or degrade women in their discussion, or some other repulsive act. But HERE….and NOW…..we are witness to the singularly most uninformed, Stupid, Stupid, STUPID comment I have ever observed in my 30+ years online. I am SO hoping that you are a lesbian. The planet cannot afford to have people like you breeding.

You have rendered Headhunter quite speechless, with incredulation that there is someone on this planet that is THAT STUPID. I could spend an hour or two responding letter by letter to what you wrote. But why? No one in their right mind would listen to you, so I'll simply hope that the good people of this forum will simply see you for what you are, and pass you by.

Honestymm. What a delightful name. You have earned my amazement. You have also earned a website devoted entirely to YOU. Watch for it.

You’ll be famous. Trust me.

HH

Edited by *Susan*
Removed offensive quote from OP

Headhunter....

I'm a happily married fat chick BUT

I think I have a crush on you. :smile2:

It is quite funny how people hop thread to thread just to bash peoples opinions!!!!!:smile2:

Headhunter....

I'm a happily married fat chick BUT

I think I have a crush on you. :smile2:

Ohhhhh noooooooooooo you don't! I claimed dibs on him first! ;o)

I do heart HeadHunter!

It is quite funny how people hop thread to thread just to bash peoples opinions!!!!!:smile2:

Yes, the opinion that those who have had bypass are not human? Is that an example of what you wrote of when you wrote that we have to respect everyone's opinions? Yeah, it's not going to happen.

That's not an opinion, that is sheer idiocy.

HH... I was going to PM you a link to that post but I honestly decided against it just because it is so ... what's the word? Lacking in civility? Insulting? Offensive? Degrading? Demoralizing? Tacky?

I mentioned no names, so why are you taking offence to what I said????