Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Racism Is Alive and Well

To me, having an airline discriminate against you because you are fat, calling you out in front of others is not any more difficult than having someone refuse to sit by you because you are a brown-skinned person. And not having been there, I think it is stupid for someone to assume that they know better than the person that it happened to, whether it was racial bias or not.

What PROOF is there that it had to do with her skin color and not her weight? Or her PERFUME, for all we know? I moved away from a woman who was wearing a perfume that had a manufactured rose scent to it. She was hispanic. Did that make me racist? I absolutely cannot STAND anything with that fake rose scent.

Not being there, YOU don't know what really happened either. And not being a mind reader, you don't know why the woman really moved. You're simply jumping on the bandwagon of Debbie's belief that it simply "MUST" be due to her skin color. Based on what I've heard, I'm not convinced.

And just because I'm not convinced in THIS case in no way negates REAL racism! It doesn't mean it never happens! I'm just saying in these two instances, I'm not convinced. Let's just say it would never hold up in a court of law.

"Deeply rooted bitterness." Has a nice ring to it. I would never have thought of that.

If I have deeply rooted bitterness toward bigots, I wear it as a proud badge. It means that I'm not quite as stupid as the ignorant bigots are. That is definitely something, even if I am not as without prejudice as I strive to be.

Beth just admit it. You have no proof. You have no back up for your claims. You're going on your gut instinct. You're reacting and posting in just the same way that you have accused me of doing.

Where's YOUR proof that serenity's feelings are not valid?

Her FEELINGS are valid only to the extent that she chooses to believe what happened was a result of racism. Nothing more.

Where is the backup for your assertions against serenity's claim of racism?

My backup is that there was no mention that anybody called her a racial epithet, forced her to the back of the bus, told her she didn't belong there, nobody hiss or spit at her, NOTHING. One person didn't talk to her and another person moved. SO? There's no more proof that those two cases were due to racism (as written) than there is proof that those two people were actually aliens from the planet Zorg and were afraid that their identities would be revealed if they talked to her or sat by her.

Where's the proof that you can debate? You're all about telling me how awful I am. That's proof of YOUR ability to debate?

I can at least deal in facts, proof, and back up my stance. Which is something I see you still refuse to do in this case. Instead, you came out with your fangs out because I said maybe these situations really weren't what the OP assumed. Period.

Why should I put you on ignore? You're way too much fun. But you can put me on ignore if I irritate you that much. I dare you. :-)

Considering how you initiated the contact between us tonight, I'd say you are the one that has the issues. It can't be good for your blood pressure, dear. And you never seem like you're having fun. You are too busy sputtering and spitting. That's fun? Whatever...

Carrie, I've noticed that too about whites thinking that every other white person sees people of color as somehow being inferior in some way.

It is shameful that we haven't overcome the ignorance and fear that drives people to treat other people as inferior based on skin color, weight, sex, sexual preference, etc.

If it happens to us we get outraged. But if happens to someone else that is different from us, we expect it. It's a shame. I think it's good to talk about it in an open forum like this.

Beth just admit it. You have no proof. You have no back up for your claims. You're going on your gut instinct. You're reacting and posting in just the same way that you have accused me of doing.

Until or unless I see PROOF that the OP was mistreated with racism, I stand by my opinion of her case. And yes, it IS my opinion. These were not cases of racism. The sooner she lets go of that, the happier she'll be. There are enough cases of REAL racism out there without having to create it out of thin air.

You call that back up? Guess I misunderstood what you consider proof. Proof is whatever Beth has decided is proof, I guess. Now I get it. If it is something that Beth agrees with then my proof is there for all the world to see, otherwise, it's my stinking opinion and it just doesn't hold Water. Glad we got that straight.

And yeah, I consider this a hellofa lot of fun. I'll bet my blood pressure is much better than yours. Especially if you're still heavy. I don't check out people's stats usually. I just really couldn't care less. It affects me not.

If someone has lost a lot of weight and their glitter and weight loss chart is big and glary, then I notice and I tell them how great it is that they have done such a good job. I would never have dreamed of checking on serenity's weight and then do a number on her about it. But that's just bitter ole' me.

Ok I just checked yours out. Congratulations Beth, you've done a bang up job of losing weight. I'll bet you're getting your blood pressure under control really well now. Good for you!

I think the OP said that it had happened several times, not just twice. Regardless, this had gotten way out of hand.

And now I remember why I don't exchange posts with you Beth. You're such a dreary sort. All full of hostility and hatefulness and accusations. Gotta find someone more satisfying to debate. Just exchanging small snotty words is fun, but not very worthwhile.

But congratuations on your weight loss. (That's to placate the mods.)

I think the OP said that it had happened several times, not just twice.

But again, if her examples are similar to the two she mentioned here, I still stand by my assertion.

Now if they do something that is beyond-a-doubt racially motivated, then yes, they should be hung by their privates. However, if it's just assumed on her part that that's what has happened, like the examples given here, I'm sorry but I just can't chime in here and agree with her.

Just exchanging small snotty words is fun...

Well, that is very sad that you find it fun. But it explains why it keeps happening.

Well, I think the OP was just stating her feelings and her opinion about the situations. I don't think she was looking for anyone to prove that it was racism!

Well, I think the OP was just stating her feelings and her opinion about the situations. I don't think she was looking for anyone to prove that it was racism!

But don't you see how sad it is that it may have been something totally unrelated to race, and here she is feeling hurt over it, thinking it's racism? I find that almost sadder than racism itself! It imprisons people and makes them victims all the time, and I feel that is very hurtful to one's psyche. AND unnecessary.