Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight fluctuation

Okay Guys,

I am generally distressed about this whole weight fluctuation business. About 6 days ago I weighed 196 and I stepped on the scale this morning after about 5 hours of sleep and weighed 204! I have lost a total of 174 LBS since last July. How could I possibly gain 8LBS in less than a week! My walking has stayed the same, I'm adjusted very well so I can't eat crazy...I mean very well, I can't eat most things. Lots of Pbs. I have delved into some cotage cheese as of recent because I was afraid of how much I had lost and was feeling weak and dizzy when I stand. That has stopped. This has been weeks ago though, I was still losing, then this morning, Bam this morning 204!!

I am not using the bathroom very regular due to a lack of Fiber, my fault on that one, but I am just curious. I thought I had finally beat the 200 LBS barrier, never been there before in my adult life, always been fat. This is really worring me, is this normal. My doc set my goal for 200, I wanted 190 or even 180. Im 5'9 so I think that is doable. Dunno...is this normal to experince this type of fluctuation?

Thanks guys,

s1nemesis1s:eek::thumbup:

Your weight will vary by 2-3 lbs everyday... there is a lot of reasons for this. The main one is hydration. If you worked out the day before your muscle's will take on the Fluid therefore you weigh more. Going to the bathroom will cause a little of diffence but not much at all. Keep in mind you most likely are putting mucsle on. Which most likely explains the sudden gain. Everybody puts muscle on at different rates. Some in big chunks and some in small amounts. You have lost a lot of weight so you know what your doing. Here is my suggestion: Put that scale away. Stop the scale watching and enjoy your new body and life. My philosophy is who cares how many pounds you weigh on any given day. Its the way I look in the mirror and the way I feel. Just keep on eating healthy and working out and you will be fine. :thumbup:

The 200 lb mark is a huge deal for those of us that have always been fat - I can completely relate- and I had the same problems around that point. I think for me, if was because I was so focused on it. Forget out the scale for a week or two and see what happens.

Not judging but is it possible that if you are pb-ing often, weak and cant eat most things that maybe you are too tight and not getting in enough calories for your activity level? Do you log your food? It know it sounds like a pain in the ass but I find it helps when I hit a plateau.

I keep a daily long, which yes, is a serious PIA lol. I have my meals planned pretty well, three squares so to speak. I indulge once and a while in some Gin and a Diet coke, but not everyday. It just scares me to see the scale going in the other direction. 200 was so important, and I am afraid that I have lost that...breaks my heart. I just cannot believe the increase, i mean thats 8LBS, very strange. My doctor has told me to walk. I am not lifting weights. I am walking maybe 1 mile every other day. I just thought it was odd. Thanks for the input guys, any other ideas or words of wisdom?

I keep a daily long, which yes, is a serious PIA lol. I have my meals planned pretty well, three squares so to speak. I indulge once and a while in some Gin and a Diet coke, but not everyday. It just scares me to see the scale going in the other direction. 200 was so important, and I am afraid that I have lost that...breaks my heart. I just cannot believe the increase, i mean thats 8LBS, very strange. My doctor has told me to walk. I am not lifting weights. I am walking maybe 1 mile every other day. I just thought it was odd. Thanks for the input guys, any other ideas or words of wisdom?

Keep things in perspective. Look for longer-term trends.

If you're like most people I know, you're supposed to be drinking 64oz or more of Water each day. That's *4* pounds minimum. Were you potentially mildly dehydrated?

Also keep in mind what the other poster said -- you're probably putting on muscle. Muscle is not light. Two years ago, I had more than 200# of lean mass on my body, and I was lighter than when you started.

If you've plateaued, you can always talk with your surgeon -- perhaps you're at the weight you should actually be? They can measure what your composition is, rather than rely on that BS BMI figure. If you continue to trend upward, definitely talk with your surgeon.

But, overall, I wouldn't fret until then.

Thanks for the info. I am drinking plenty of fluids. I woke this morning and weighed 199... down from 204 yesterday... My scale is fine. I had my dad test it out, who had his own really nice scale..a bit of a health nut, and my girlfriend stepped on it, and was like..yup...its right...and then she was upset for a while...I wish she would get the band, her weight bothers her so much but she has seen alot of what I go through..not being able to eat this or that, and the pbs that happen every now and then, plus her insurance sucks. Personally, I think that WLS should be free, I pay enough taxes for bullshit anyway, why not make this free and take a bunch of people off the system. Okay...not trying to get political, scratch my last statement...Im a democrat but things have gotten out of control..I digress...

Guys, I am just confused. Baffled really. I don't think its a plateau, I am just confused. I eat, am adjusted very well..I am taking all the advice you guys have to offer, any more would be greatly appreciated.. I am happy to be right at this 200 mark, a below it..but I need to loose 20 more according to my doc. Thanks in advance for any other ideas.

Try to relax, there are a lot of reasons why you will have a temporary weight increase, most not permanent. Eating too much salt in one day can make you hold onto all your Water. Keep doing what you have been doing and the scale will start moving again, but it may be a bit slower than you are used to but keep the faith.

Large fluctuations are almost always Water weight. Too much salt and you can gain 10 lbs. Look at pro fighters, they commonly gain 10+ lbs in one day between the official weigh in and the fight.