Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about weight loss percentages

I've read people and results that have said you can only expect to loose 50-60 percent of excess weight with lap band. My question is why no 100 percent of excess weight? Is 100 percent of excess weight los not obtainable? How do people recommend going about loosing all of their excess weight? How long do you recommend exercising for daily?

Thanks

The band is promoted as helping you to lose 50% of your excess weight. I think most people's goal weights represent a loss of 100% of their excess weight and many have achieved that. Each person's goal weight is different and how they get there varies. Some like extra tight restriction that allows them to eat very little, others like less restriction but exercise more. Each person has to decide where they would like to be and how to get there. Most doctors and nutritionists recommend at least 30 minutes of exercise daily.

Its an average. In any group, there will be people who dont lose well because they werent good candidates and dont work well with the band, they dont exercise, they have problems with the band, they are metabolically challenged, physically disabled etc.

The band takes a fair bit of work but if you DO that work you have a good chance of losing 100% of your excess. I found it not too difficult with 3 sensible meals a day, a snack if I'm hungry and running an hour a day. I'm not a perfect dieter, this really wasnt that hard for me. But my doctor does make a fuss, obviously its not every person that does lose so well and I cant really say why I did compared to the next person - I suspect the running helps.

Ive had alot of friends who have had the lapband surgery and all of them have had different results. They are however all in a healthy weight range and only one has lost to much weight and for a little while was under weight. I look at my band as a tool to become healthy and when my doctor asked me what I wanted to weigh, I replied that I didnt want to be a super model, but a healthy person. The lapband isnt a "quick fix" solution as alot of people expect you still have to work at it, but it certainly helps.

A lot of people have a size range in mind, and not a weight. If they get to that size, then they are satisfied with the results of the band, and when they stop losing, accept themselves at that weight and don't push to go farther. The farther you push, the more restriction you have, usually...

In order for me to maintain my weight as is, I eat VERY small portions, and cannot tolerate some foods. I keep a pretty tight band, and some people simply don't wish to live like that. My way is NOT the right way, each person has to figure out what works for them. A lot of people lose 60% of their weight and are satisfied...

It's an average. That means some lose all, some don't lose any, and the average is %55-60 at 3 years out.