Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why would you do gastric bypass if you could lapband?

These surgeries are two VERY different surgeries. The bottom line is, if you are not able to make the TRUE dietary and mental changes the go along with the surgery you have performed, you will not be successful.

Before I had my band, I thought people who had RNY were dumb, desperate people who chopped their stomachs in half risking long term complications. I thought band people had it much easier... they could eat anything in smaller portions and be successful.

20 months post band, my perspective has changed. I know people with the band, and with the bypass. I see people who have had GREAT success with the band, like myself. But here is the truth... I am successful, but I do NOT eat like a totally 'normal' person. I eat A LOT less. There are a lot of foods I cannot tolerate well. And there are days I get super tight for no reason and eating most foods causes pain in my back that makes me want to rip the band out from inside of me. For the most part, I like my band, but at almost 2 years post op, my eyes are open, and I know it is not the end all, die all.

I have a good friend who had the bypass. She lost a significant amount of weight with it, but never got past a size 12, even with a highly malabsorptive procedure... She was still considered obese, I believe, according to BMI charts. She has had weight regain 5 years out. She's now on diet. It is a vicious cycle.

More people are successful long term with the RNY. There is also worry of weight regain with the RNY. There are a TON of people who have their bands removed within 2 years of surgery. There are a LOT of people who don't lose a lot of weight with a band. Pick your poison.

I am NOT a naysayer here. I'd still get my band, even in hindsight. Well, actually I'd get the sleeve now, but 2 years ago, the sleeve wasn't very well known, so I didn't consider that option. So, with that option off the table, I've made the band work for me. I am healthier, leaner, meaner, and cheerier post band. But, I do recognize that there are both rosy and not so rosy perspectives on both surgeries.

I like everything you have said.It all makes alot of sense! The band is definitely more work than I anticipated but as I've seen on here with you & many others the rewards of weightloss can still be very great!! It's all about personel choice's!!:thumbup:

THE wt loss is quicker with the bypass, but u generally have 2 work your butt off with the band.i workout 2x harder than before the band everyday i regret the decsion to have the band and wish i had had the bypass

I don't know what the major difference I will feel once I have the bypass on Thursday but am looking forward to it. As one who never did well with the band this was my only choice. It's really difficult to know which surgery to choose in the first place, initially I wanted the RNY but chickend out at the last moment. In hindsite that was a mistake but I was fortuneate not to have major complications with the band and was able to have my insurance pay for the removal and revision to RNY.

At my age with my comorbs I believe the RNY really is the best solution for me. I know ahead of time that any surgery can fail in the long run but I did have different expectations from the band which were not realistic. I also know that with the RNY my diabetes II will "cured" in a short amount of time. I also know that I don't have to worry about restriction variations with RNY as it will be there from the start. Dumping syndrome occurs somewhere between 40% and 50% of the people who have RNY so its not something you can count on so you still have to be careful with your sugar/fat. Drinking before and after eating is something you have to restrict also as you're basically a self flusher now because you don't have the pyloris valve anymore. And chewing very well is important so that you don't stretch your pouch or your new stoma.

Anyway I'm having RNY because I want to lose weight and I didn't with the lap band. Whatever that percentage is that doesn't lose with the band I am a part of. I'll post when I can to let people know who aren't RNYers themselves what it's like to be a bypasser and compare it to being a bander. I'm curious to know what the small pouch feels like compared to a banded pouch and what foods I can tolerate etc...

So whoever can come up with the best way to decide which surgery is the best fit for each individual wins the lottery in my book because it's not always an easy thing to figure out beforehand. Good luck to all of us who are having or had WLS as it's not easy for anyone, Nancy.