Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surviving Vacation - Cruise to Bermuda any suggestions?

Leaving on a cruise to Bermuda in a couple weeks, Never been in a cruise. All I hear is about the eating! I have lost 81 lbs since my surgery in September 2008. I work out 6 days a week and look forward to continuing this on my vacation. Also the dancing will be a big help since i LOVE to dance!:confused: Any suggestions for what kind of foods to eat?

Carnival has a "spa menu" at dinner each night that is very diet friendly. They do come around and try to serve you bread before the meal and I always reject it. They also have a few items that are on the menu every night if nothing else suits you .... grilled fish, steak. Norwegian's dinner menu was simliar though there was not a section entitled "spa menu", there were healthy choices.

Both of these lines as well as most if not all others, have a buffett for Breakfast which I highly recommend over going to the main dining room and sitting down because those are set meals, while the buffet lets you take only want you want. There will be eggs, grits or oatmeal, toast of several types, sausages (sometimes, chicken sausage even), fresh fruit, skim milk, juices.

lunch on sea days there is also a buffet available, the size will depend on your ship. There will be a variety of food and you can take one item from any area. There will likely be roasted something (turkey, beef, pork loin) being carved, a salad bar (with lite italian and possibly lite ranch -- don't be above taking your preferred Salad Dressing with you on the cruise, LOL)

The problem lies in things like 24-hour availability of pizza, midnight buffets, burgers, dogs and fries out by the pool, soft-serve ice cream nearly 24 hours a day, and the bars. This is where you have to exercise your willpower. Go to the shows at night and just don't go back to the midnight buffet, where the biggest temptations lie.

I've been on many cruises and this was was just over a month after surgery. I did fine. Gained 2 pounds which turned out to be Water because I lost it within 24 hours of getting home.

lm just back from a cruise and had a lot of trouble with the foods...l literally kept nothing down for an entire week except water...Be VERY aware of chewing and small bites. Foods tend to be more rubbery than normal, ie: shrimp, lobster, steaks....have a great time

Lisa's right .... the food is good BUT they are preparing food for so many people that it has to be prepared in advance and heated so it's not going to be "hot off the stove". I had no problems as long as I chewed stuff well. I did have to take a sip of Water a few times to get a bite adequately moist to swallow.

/While there will be tempatations, think about how easy it will be to have all your healthy meals prepared for you!

Also, just think you have a gym available to you 24 / 7 how great is that!

GREAT!

Enjoy, you'll do fine!

I went on a 7 day cruise at Christmas time and lost 6# for the week. You just need to be aware of what you eat and how much. Most ships also have a gym where you can workout dailey.

Thanks for your suggestions... I'm traveling "Freestyle Dining" on NCL. So I'm hoping I will be so distracted I won't think of food all the time. I do very well with temptation, but I didn't think of the food being a little bit over/ under cooked, something to watch out for! Thanks!

The cruise I did in December was a NCL Freestyle, you will have many options, choose wisely and watch the portions:cool:

A cruise how exciting!!! Isn't funny how before we were banded we wouldn't of thought twice about the food! I'm in a similar situation as you are. At the end of August i'm going on vacation to Disney World for a week and we are doing the Disney meal plan. I'm kinda nervous because by then I will probably be 2 cc's tighter than I am now and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed now when I sit down and try and eat dinner.< /p>

I was banded last August and many times it isnt even an option of me eating too much as I get full so quick and I know that if I overeat, I either fill very bad or need to make a trip to the bathroom:thumbup:

I have the same problem i am going on vacation to Las Vegas this coming sunday and i was wondering how i am going to servive. I get my first fill the day after i get back. I am just going to take my food journal and make sure i write down everything i eat to keep me on track.

I am just home 2 weeks from an NCL "Freestyle" cruise to the Mediterranean and I came home 1 lb. lighter than I left. food was no problem for me. Didn't find things rubbery or hard to chew and food seemed fresh. We did the buffet a lot more than usual because this was such a port extensive cruise and we were coming and going at different times. Each Breakfast I got a cooked to order omelet and they do egg white omelets if you ask. I'd then only eat about 1/3 to 1/2 of it before being full. They always had some type of meat at the carving station, some days I even got a hamburger patty and ate part of that, there was always healthier options available. And a few times I did have some unhealtheir options like ice cream or dessert. I tried to always take the stairs instead of the elevator, there's the gym, there's the walking track, and not to forget all the walking in ports. If you are motivated and determined it can be done. I've heard of some people having a slight unfill before cruises or flying as they tighten up, I had no issues whatsoever of getting tighter. Be careful and enjoy, I wish I was going again!