Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

kaisers 6 month weight loss classes???? HELP!!

sorry i am kind of new to this,

but i currently want to get the lapband and i have insurance through kaiser. i am scheduled for an orientation on the 17th of june and i thought it was or surgery, but it is just for the classes!!! i was told that i was going to have to go through six months of classes before geting referred for a consultation. it wouldnt be a problem if i wasnt in so much pain. i am 5'7 and 318....my BMI is 49.8. i have so much joint, and back pain its rediculous. and it would take about a year and a half before i even get a surgery date. i jus

t cant imagine waiting another year and a half.

DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY TO GET OUT OF DOING THOSE CLASSES......ANY WAY POSSIBLE??????? IM IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Edited by jhanei
spell check

If you insurance requires the 6 month weight loss program/classes/monitoring, then I don't think there is any real way to get out of it and them still pay.

I started this in March, so I am halfway through my 6 months now. When I first started, it seemed like 6 months was a lifetime, now it is passing by pretty quickly. Just keep your chin up and it will pass pretty fast!!!

I am also a Kaiser patient but for up here in Northern.

The facilities up here LUCKILY do not require the 6 month class. BUT, it would be a good requirement. It took me 4 months to get my surgery completed, and yeah i lost a ton of weight before hand, because they have you diet before hand the 1200 cal diet. And you have to loose 10% to even meet with the Case Manager. So in a way they do have a diet.

I have however heard that even if you dont loose on the 6 month diet you keep progressing for surgery. However have you talked to other southern patients? A year and half is a LONG time estimate. They always quote us 3-6 months. Plus during ur 6 month diet you should be doing the preop stuff... appts and what not. At your orientation as just how long it is going to take. And honestly it does all fly. I am 2 m onths post op and it feels like i went to orientation yesterday.

Another option is self pay....

Hi! I just had my first actual doctor appt today. I went to my orientation about 3 weeks about and at both appts they mentioned that certain insurances will wave the 6 months to a 3 month if you take specific weight management classes through the hospital. I know my insurance dosn't but it's something to look into! Good luck!

I'm new and in So Cal too. I have Blue Shield HMO and have to go through a 6 month supervised weight loss program before I can have my surgery. Believe me, after getting myself all psyched up thinking I'd be thinner by Christmas, hearing that nothing would happen until at least Christmas bummed me out. I'm tired of feeling crappy and 6 more months of it feels like an eternity. I know it's really not, but when you finally make that choice you are ready!

Hi! I'm new here too!

I also am with Kaiser but in another state. I started in March 09 and was told it is a 6 mos. program. During this period I am required to lose 10% of my beginning weight. Each month I consult with Kaiser's nutritionist. I have also during this time had a sleep study done (found I have sleep apnea), stress test, various blood work and met with Kaiser's behavioral health person. I also am required to attend a support group meeting too. I found that very helpful! I learned talking to the post ops!

I also suffer from joint pain, and my primary care doctor put me on 6 oz. of black cherry juice and a prescription of mobic. I'm currently not having any pain! I also exceeded my 10% weight loss by 16lb. So, like other posts here get going with the program! It is designed to help you. If you have joint pain get help from your primary care doc! My 6mos is over in Aug! And I must say time does fly! Stay focus! You get what you give!

Mark!

I just went to my info session yesterday and I go tomorrow for my first appointment. I also have to do the 6 month supervised before surgery... but my only concern is that I am right at 40BMI, and if I end up losing weight and dropping in BMI, will I still be able to have surgery?? I guess I just need to make sure my surgery is based on me qualifying NOW and not having to REQUALIFY in 6 months...

So glad to here you started!

One of the first things that I was concerned with was if I lost too much weight prior to lap banding, I would be dropped! I was reasured I wouldn't! Good luck to ya!

Mark!

Thanks!! I am not really telling everyone about doing it yet... my family knows and a few of my close friends, but I'm not broadcasting it to the ones I know will have negative things to say... so I am hoping by being on this board that I will find some extra support here since everyone knows what I am/will be going through! :wink:

i hear your disappointment...i dont have kaiser, im in so calif also, and i had to take those nutrition classes too - requirement....it actually turned out to be 7 classes because you had to totally finish 6 months...and i had to pay for my classes! $40 per class. Then after the tests you have to have (upper GI, chest xray, psych exam - i had to have ANOTHER nutrition class so we could prepare for new lifestyle eating.

Sorry to say, I dont think you'll be able to get out of them.

Well, just finished my 6th month of nutrition pre-op and now have the date to meet up Aug. 26th with the surgeon at Kaisers Parma Medical Center! YaHoo!

Edited by markbo
mispelling