Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling bad/headache on pre-op diet

I'm only on day 2 of my pre-op diet, but I'm not feeling good at all. I'm not too hungry, but my head hurts and I feel crabby and a little shaky. I'm starting to lose confidence. I'm afraid I can't keep this up for two weeks, and even if I do, how am I going to get through the liquid weeks after surgery?!

Anybody got insight or encouragement to share? :)

Caroline, i wish i can say that i feel better. However im in the same boat you are in. I had surgery on the 26th and im still in severe pains. My neck and shoulder feel like someone has a knife on one of my nerves. Severe gas pain. Being on the liquid diet and taking all this medicine is giving me the shakes. Im weak also. i suppose to go back to work Monday, but i doubt it. Do anyone and any suggestions

That sounds bad! Have you talked to your surgeon or nurse about the pain in your neck and shoulder? Is it possible your meds need to be adjusted to accommodate the amount of food you're (not) eating?

I think the reason I'm feeling bad right now is just the dearth of calories (<1000/day); I'm hoping my body will adjust somewhat.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

I started to feel better around day 4 of my pre op diet. I think days 2 & 3 were the worst,going cold turkey from all the carbs. I felt better and the target of my op kept me going when I felt like giving up and cheating.

I had a really restrictive 2 week pre-op diet. I also had a business trip to Buenos Aires that same week so I talked to my nurse who said "Just do your best and start the liquid diet when you're back."

So I really only did a 1 week pre-op diet. And I didn't follow it exactly. Mine was all Clear liquids - no calories, basically. No Protein shakes.

I added in a serving of Protein every evening for the first 4 days. About 4-5 ounces of meat. The last three days, I did follow it perfectly. Still, I lost 20 pounds in that week. WOW.

But I had the headache and shakiness and even nausea. It was hard. The first part of the week because of the hunger though that seemed to fade. The 2nd part of the week was hard because I felt like crap.

I am getting bad headaches yesterday.

I think I've screwed up the pre-op diet !

I am suppose to have 3 Protein shakes per day plus max.250 calories of veggies.

started pre-op on friday the 29th,

On the first day, I had 2 Protein shake, i was too full, so I only had 2 Protein Shake.< /span>

Sat, I also only had 2 Protein shake, too full, couldn't fit in the 3rd one.

Sunday, I only had 1 protein shake, and some steam vegetables like Cabbage asparagus and mushrooms ( veggies total together less than 250calories combine ).

Yesterday, 1 protein shake plus veggies.

omg omg omg, what should I do?

I just can't pour 3 protein shake per day. What should I do?

I feel like I'm about to cheat to get some rice to chew on !

Louise, I have a headache too. This is my second day of Clear Liquids. I did ok yesterday until I got home from work. Then I got a headache. I was told to just stay on clear liquids. I bought a case of Isopure liquid drinks. They are not bad and with 40g Protein I don't fill hungry. My surgery is tomorrow. Stay with it. It will be worth it in the end.:frown:

Headaches are carb/sugar withdrawal. Anyone who has gone on a low-carb diet before has experienced them. They will pass.

I'm sorry yall are all feeling so crappy....your body is "detoxing" from all the carbs and sugar that you are usually giving it. Try to drink plenty of Water to help flush all the carp outta your system and just keep telling yourself....this is only temporary, I CAN do this!!

It's going to get better I promise...just use this board to vent as much as you need to. Happy shrinking to all of you!!

~Monica

Just thought I'd update this thread in case other people happen upon it later and decide we all perished from the pre-op diet!

I started feeling better within a few days. My pre-op diet includes one solid snack per day, and I discovered that if I eat the solid snack earlier in the day (instead of saving it for night time), I feel better. I hope everybody else is feeling a little better by now, too!