Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just found out I'm pregnant

Well, I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant. I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and am scheduled for my first ultrasound on Wednesday. Here's the thing...I only had my surgery in January, so its only been about 4 months. We weren't trying either. I have to admit, we weren't preventing it even though they warned us of improved fertility as I lost weight. I really thought we were safe because my weight was not the only thing standing in the way. My husband has his own issues and I also have endometriosis which has scarred me in addition to the PCOS issues. We were told it wouldn't be possible by ourselves at all! I called my surgeon's office a week ago and haven't heard back. I plan on calling again tomorrow.

Please don't lecture me about not doing birth control and how its too soon after surgery. The fact is that the baby is in there now and what's done is done. What should I know about being a pregnant bandster? Any advice? What about morning sickness, etc? What are the risks of being pregnant this soon?

Hi hun....well all I can tell you is from my own personal experience, so of course it will be totally different than your own.

I had the band put in Feb. 12 '08 and I got pregnant July 4th. My daughter was born April 6th and is now 7 weeks old. Like you, we weren't preventing but we weren't really trying either. I never had my fill taken out but unfortunately I was able to eat pretty much like normal (normal as in not having the band...not normal as in what we should be eating) but just in smaller portions. I ended up gaining about 45 lbs total but 30 lbs of that was pure Fluid towards the end of my pregnancy (which I lost within 2 weeks of having her). So really, I guess you could say that I only gained 15lbs of fat (which is pretty good overall--or so I keep telling myself:tt2:).

Looking back though, I wish I had been more careful about the chances of getting pregnant b/c being overweight and pregnant just ain't all that fun..LOL Seriously though, my band was never an issue during pregnancy. I think it actually helped me from not gaining more "weight" (not fluid) than I did. But you might be completely different and have to have your fill taken out. It really all depends on how your body will do with pregnancy.

I'm not SOOOOO ready to get back on track and FINALLY LOSE ALL THIS NASTY WEIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! I swore that I will NOT be overweight with my next pregnancy b/c I would like to actually have a baby belly!! LOL Good Luck to you and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Tina I would like to say to you Congrats! Now to get on with my message. You and I are the same. I too am newly banded and two weeks ago I found out that I am pregnant also. I am about 6 weeks and two day along. I am much older than you and I too thought I had PCOS still so we weren't stopping anything from happening. When I told my doctor about this he just told me oh well Shit happens, that is how he ended up with six, then he just laughed. He also told me that I will be just fine with the band and this should help me and you not to gain a lot of extra weight that we don't need. The band will help us control the portions. Just remember this and this came from my OB doctor, the baby is going to get the food that they need first. I had my ultrasound last tuesday and found out that I am having twins. My due date is on Jan. 14th, so I would think yours is about the same time mine is. We gotta stay in touch with each other for we were banded about the same time and now PG and due the about the same time. Best of luck.

Hi hun....well all I can tell you is from my own personal experience, so of course it will be totally different than your own.

I had the band put in Feb. 12 '08 and I got pregnant July 4th. My daughter was born April 6th and is now 7 weeks old. Like you, we weren't preventing but we weren't really trying either. I never had my fill taken out but unfortunately I was able to eat pretty much like normal (normal as in not having the band...not normal as in what we should be eating) but just in smaller portions. I ended up gaining about 45 lbs total but 30 lbs of that was pure Fluid towards the end of my pregnancy (which I lost within 2 weeks of having her). So really, I guess you could say that I only gained 15lbs of fat (which is pretty good overall--or so I keep telling myself:tt2:).

Looking back though, I wish I had been more careful about the chances of getting pregnant b/c being overweight and pregnant just ain't all that fun..LOL Seriously though, my band was never an issue during pregnancy. I think it actually helped me from not gaining more "weight" (not fluid) than I did. But you might be completely different and have to have your fill taken out. It really all depends on how your body will do with pregnancy.

I'm not SOOOOO ready to get back on track and FINALLY LOSE ALL THIS NASTY WEIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! I swore that I will NOT be overweight with my next pregnancy b/c I would like to actually have a baby belly!! LOL Good Luck to you and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Beach Bum what part of NC are you from....I am in the Raleigh Area. Who is your doctor. I have Dr. Moran.

Tina I would like to say to you Congrats! Now to get on with my message. You and I are the same. I too am newly banded and two weeks ago I found out that I am pregnant also. I am about 6 weeks and two day along. I am much older than you and I too thought I had PCOS still so we weren't stopping anything from happening. When I told my doctor about this he just told me oh well Shit happens, that is how he ended up with six, then he just laughed. He also told me that I will be just fine with the band and this should help me and you not to gain a lot of extra weight that we don't need. The band will help us control the portions. Just remember this and this came from my OB doctor, the baby is going to get the food that they need first. I had my ultrasound last tuesday and found out that I am having twins. My due date is on Jan. 14th, so I would think yours is about the same time mine is. We gotta stay in touch with each other for we were banded about the same time and now PG and due the about the same time. Best of luck.

Wow! We are practically the same! LOL I had my surgery 1/14 and I am 6 weeks pg today. My due date should be Jan 19. I have my ultrasound tomorrow to confirm, but I know when I ovulated. I realized the signs and took a test and it was positive and then I felt my ovary explode and then I just sat back to wait and see once I realized the timing ended up being perfect. As for twins, lets hope that this is where our similarities end! LOL I already have a 6 year old and I don't think I could handle 2 at once! :blush: During my last pregnancy, I actually lost weight and I wasn't even banded. OB said that the baby used my stores first and its not uncommon.

We will absolutely stay in touch! :blush:

Yes, I had hoped to wait until I had lost more before getting PG. I have a 6 year old and was overweight when I had her. It was not fun and that's the part that I don't want to repeat, but I can't help that now. This will probably be our last baby, so I plan on enjoying it as much as I can. :blush:

Twiggy!!!! I just found out I am pregnant also :cool: I am 6 weeks and 2 days I had my band in July so almost one year. And also I have severe endometriosis I had open surgery for it and I have poly cystic ovarian disease and I just had cryo surgery for cervical cancer cells.. So I was told getting pregnant was probably never going to be possible for me considering everything. But I was so shocked. I came to lapband forum because my band got really tight and all the women on here said thats how they knew they were preg. So I did a test and thats how I found out... and I am so glad I did because 2 days later I started bleeding and had to go to the hospital the baby is still alive but I am on bed rest and if I had not did the test I would have just thought it was my period. So anyways it seems we have alot in common. So keep in touch add me here or on Facebook msg me and I will send my info :)

oh one more thing.. my band is tight enough to where I cant eat bread or white chicken or cake and my dr said I do not need and unfill at all it will help me from over eating and I am very happy with that because if I didnt have the band right now I would be pigging out lol

Congrats to you. Although I have not been preggers while banded, I do have an 18 month old and a 3 yr old. I truly miss being preggers and can not wait to have another one. Of course, we will wait until I'm done a bit more in weight and the band has time to heal. Good luck and congrats to all of you on your bundle of joys!