Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about carbohydrates

Hello everyone,

I really had not give this much thought but it was brought up yesterday amist some friends while we were talking support once I get my banding.

It seems to be all about the Protein after the surgery. How much of what we are going to be ingesting in the weeks to follow will have Carbohydrates in it? It will be enough to substain us right? There has never been any mention of this topic that I could see on the form.

I just never thought about how much Carbs are in so many of the other things we eat. For the most part it has been about breads, pastas, etc.

Can someone give me a bit of info on this topic?

Thanks

You actually don't need very much in the way of carbs. What you need most is Protein. Why? Well, your "engine" needs high octane fuel and that's Protein. If you don't give your body enough protein it will destroy its own lean muscle mass to get protein to run on. That can lead to heart damage (because, yeah, that's a lean muscle) among other things; hair falling out, all sorts of things. So, you eat a minimum of 60-70 grams of protein and a little more than that would be good. Then you eat vegetables for all the good things you get from them -- Vitamins, antioxidants, etc. If you eat that and you're still hungry, you can have WHOLE GRAIN carbs....which have Fiber and even some protein. But when you look at meal, there should be 3 oz of lean protein (about the size of a deck of cards) and vegetables. I was told to eat that and wait 15 minutes. If I am still hungry, I can have a serving of whole grain carbs then.

Simple carbs basically are sugar. I am Type II Diabetes, now on no meds whatsoever and very close to normal hba1c. In diabetes nutrition classes, I was told that eating a white potato basically gave my body the same thing as eating a bunch of white sugar from the bowl. Complex carbs, like whole grains, have other good things in them that make having the whole grain foods good for you.

I do. I fade away very quickly without carbs. I dont think a low carb diet suits everyone.

But I agree, 60 grams a day of Protein is necessary I get that quite easily. And I stay away from white carbs - I get my energy from fruit and veg and wholegrains.

But logically, Protein first is not a low carb way of eating, its simply making sure you get enough protein. To really go low on the carbs you have to do Atkins or similar. Most people ARE eating carbs, just not necessarily in grain form - and even those of us that eat a more carb based diet (the whole world doesnt do protein first, its an American thing) are eating less carbs (and certainly less white carbs) than we did. The balance of my diet has certainly changed and I cant say I notice a big difference. My body doesnt miss the rubbish I used to feed it.

Hi -

I found that if I eat something high in carbs (like a banana), that I'm HUNGRY just a little while later - but, if I have protien with the carbs, or Protein only, I stay satisfied much longer -

I haven't had my first fill yet! Does the needle hurt?

No, it doesnt hurt.

The reason carbs make you hungry if you eat them on their own is that are fairly high up on the glycaemic index, meaning they cause a significant insulin reaction in your body - with white bread, rice etc being even HIGHER than plain sugar!

So whilst everyone things that the answer is to cut out carbs many medical experts (particularly in Australia) are more interested in a low GI diet instead - meaning you eat lower GI carbs - wholegrains, fruit and vegetables and that you include a bit more Protein - and that ina meal, you might have white rice and beef curry, well the beef curry being basically Protein is very low GI and that balanced out the high GI of the rice and you get a more moderate, slowly digesting meal that doesnt give you the massive insulin rush.

So really, there's good evidence that there's no need to low carb it, just low GI it instead, and that way you dont miss out on your banana, which is so good for you, as long as you also eat, say a piece of cheese at the same time.

Jacqui,

I love the way you explained that!!

I really enjoy reading your posts and learn so much from them.

Question- Do you drink any juices?

For example grapefruit juice is good for you - but ack! the natural sugar carbs are soo high....

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense too me - Got it - banana with some protein!!

I get my first fill on June 5!! I hope that I notice a difference in my hunger and feeling satisfied!! I was told that my first fill will be 3 cc's (I have a 10 cc band) -