Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Philippe Quilici - Dr. Quilici i

Last March when I started my lap band journey, I had no idea it would end up as wonderfully as it has.

I was denied several times, went to a seminar for other surgeons, and wrote letters pleading with my insurance company for this surgery.

In October of 2008, my medical group was bought out by another one, and within three days I had been approved to see Dr. Philippe Quilici. The minute I walked in to the office I knew I was in good hands.

I am totally blind, walked in alone, and was helped by one of the staff to fill out the necessary forms. I spent two, maybe three hours there, meeting the team. I was allowed to touch the model of the stomach, and learn what it looked like with the band in place.

Although I can't be sure, I'm almost positive I was the first blind weight loss patient there. Dr. Quilici was very warm, and I felt that, even though he is a busy man, he didn't make me feel rushed. He asked if I had any questions, and didn't try to discourage me from getting the band.

My surgery went without a hitch, and three months out, I think it was the best thing I've ever done. I have had no problems, and as far as I'm concerned, Dr. Q is fantastic!

Edited by serenity55
Dr. Philippe Quilici

My best friend and I were both banded by Dr. Quilici on 5/19. We both had very positive experiences. He has an excellent, well-rounded program, including the pre-op requirements (fully coordinates nutrition assessments, psych evals, working with insurance companies, etc.) to surgery (very minor discomfort - I wouldn't call it pain - small incisions, no staples) to 'free' pre- and post-op support groups. Dr. Quilici is a reknowned bariatric surgeon who teaches these procedures to other surgeons. He surrounds himself with top-notch associates. He provides his patients, free of charge, with twice monthly support group meetings and sponsors Dr. Summer Perry's one-year 'Eating Normally' psychological nutrition program. We highly recommend this surgeon for the Lap Band procedure.

Hi Mamadot,

I'm not sure if it was you or your friend who was at the lap band meeting last Wednesday. but thank you for posting here. I think we're pretty lucky to have Dr. Quilici and the team.

Debbie

I just moved to Burbank from NYC. How difficult has it been for you all to get in for fills? And how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Welcome to Burbank,Josie! My insurance pays for my fills so I can't say for sure how much they are, though I've heard somewhere around $250. I haven't had trouble getting appointments; the waiting has been harder once you're in the office.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of help.

Debbie

Edited by serenity55

Yes, a very warm welcome to Southern California and Burbank, Josie! I would respond the same as Serenity - insurance covers my fills, but for self-pay I think it's around $250. Appointments are easy, but wait time can be long (but well worth the wait). If you are interested, you are welcome to attend the next Dr. Quilici-sponsored free support group meeting on Wed. 9/16 at Prov. Saint Joseph Medical Center (501 S. Buena Vista, Burbank) Hope Conference Room 6:30pm-7:30pm. Dr. Quilici will be the guest speaker at this meeting (he usually does not attend). This group includes people who are just looking into Gastric Bypass or Lapband, and those that are in the pre-op or post-op stages. Also, on the 4th Wednesday of each month is a lap-band specific support group at the same time and location. This group will meet this month on Wed. 9/23.

My best friend and I were both banded by Dr. Quilici on 5/19. We both had very positive experiences. He has an excellent, well-rounded program, including the pre-op requirements (fully coordinates nutrition assessments, psych evals, working with insurance companies, etc.) to surgery (very minor discomfort - I wouldn't call it pain - small incisions, no staples) to 'free' pre- and post-op support groups. Dr. Quilici is a reknowned bariatric surgeon who teaches these procedures to other surgeons. He surrounds himself with top-notch associates. He provides his patients, free of charge, with twice monthly support group meetings and sponsors Dr. Summer Perry's one-year 'Eating Normally' psychological nutrition program. We highly recommend this surgeon for the LAP-BAND® procedure.

What is Dr Perry's nutrition class like? I went to her for my pysch eval and she was kinda wacko. Told me all I could lose would be 20% of my body weight - somewhere around 50 pounds and if I wanted to lose more to consider another option.

Dr. Perry can be on the conservative side, and sometimes a bit 'dry' in her presentations, but she provides valuable insight into the mental issues that lead to our eating disorders. I attended 'Eating Normally' last year, and I'm repeating it again this year. I'm getting more out of it my 2nd year. As for how much you can lose - it's really up to you, and how much effort you put into embracing this 'tool', following the 'rules' for success (eating slowly, small amounts, chewing throroughly, sipping Water throughout the day, eating Protein first, making wise food choices, and finding an exercise routine you enjoy and can stick with). I was originally told that I could expect to lose 50lbs. Both my friend and I have lost over 90lbs, and I plan to lose about 20 more pounds and fully expect to succeed. The weekly support groups (including 'Eating Normally') have really helped me stay focused and on track. Good luck!

How much did he charge out of pocket? They told me $600 program fee...why should I pay for that when my insurance covers 100%????

How much did he charge out of pocket? They told me $600 program fee...why should I pay for that when my insurance covers 100%????

I agree with you on that. I have my date set now for 3/24/10. I paid the $200 for the psyc eval. and will have to pay the $600 for the program fee. My yearly deductible is $350, then insurance will pay 80%. I plan on submitting that fee to my insurance company for reimbursement.

Hello All,

I am going to be banded on the 5/18/12 by Dr Q.

He seems like a great doctor even tho i havent spent a lot of time "talking" to him but it seems that everyone is satisfied with his work.

Anything i should know before i do this?

thankyou!!