Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where is your port located?

Hi,

I'm really new on this journey and was wondering:

Where exactly the port is located once you have it put in.

Is it visible to others through your skin like a pacemaker is?

Does it hurt to get fills?

How many incisions did your surgeon make?

Once healed are they really noticable?

Thanks for your time :redface:

I have a 2" incision over my port, which is to my left. I have 3 poke holes and 1 incision that's about 1". Two of the poke holes have already faded almost completely and are flat. The other one is on its way. The two incisions are flat to the touch but are still red but I expect them to fade out too -- but I'm only 3 months out from surgery.

I can feel my port if I press on it. I've lost 57 pounds and still want to lose 79 more so it might become easier to feel and perhaps see, but it's maybe as big around as a nickel.

My port is about an inch lower than my belly button and about 5 inches to the left. The actual scar is 3 inches long and my port is under the scar. You can feel it if you press on it but you can't see anything other than a straight across 3 inch scar.

My port is in a way different place, it is way up high and directly below the middle of my ribcage, 2 or 3 ribs to the left of my strenum. It hurt to slouch for a long time! I guess it is easier to find there.

No, fills do not hurt in the least. My doc uses a local and I can sorta feel that, but I definately do not feel the fill needle. My friend just posted her first fill video on you tube if you want to watch it let me know and I'll send you the link . . .I don't want you to let it scare you, though! It looks MUCH worse than it is :redface:

I have 5 incision including the port, the port is about 1.5", I have 3 about .5" scars and a little teeny 1/4" scar that I can hardly find anymore. They are flat and still red but will fade to white.

Riley

My port is located on my left side right under my ribcage. It's not visible thru my skin now, but that's probably because it's covered by my "thick skin" lol. Maybe when I lose weight it might be a little more visible? I can certainly feel is protruding when I lay on it.

I've only had one fill and it did not hurt. I did have a local anesthetic however, which I didn't feel. Must be the thick skin :unsure:

I have four incisions. I know I did, but I can only find three now. Hmm... that puzzles me as I've only now discovered it. lol. I have one on my right side...it's about 1/4 of an inch, and another about midway between my belly button and sternum. My large one is where the port is - it's about an inch. It's about the thickness of a standard marks-a-lot marker line. I remember my other one being right under my sternum, but ... it's gone?? It was the smallest of the four.

Now I'm off to a mirror to find that lost scar!! lol

For me personally my port is located just right of the middle of my stomach, I've got 5 incisions, If you use a cream to help reduce scarring it'll probably help. Good luck =)

Thank you so much for sharing with me everyone! I would love to see the video Riley!!!

OK, here is my friend Christine's first fill, this is at Kaiser Richmond with Dr. Baggs. Her mom shot it, isn't that cool!??!They do a little anesthetic local first, then pull out the big guns . . I have the same surgeon, and he has an easier time getting to my port than he does to Christine's in this video . . . .

Edited by riley4183

My port is about 1.5 inches above my belly button in the middle.

For me, fills really, really hurt. Not the needle, but when the doctor presses on my port to find it and hold it still. I have had lots of trouble with fills and need to get them done under the fluroscope because my port is a little twisted.

But don't let me scare you - for everyone else I know with a band, getting a fill is relatively painless, I just lucked out :smile:

Thanks for posting that Riley. It really helps to see what's in my future. Looks pretty painless and easy!!! Thank your friend for posting her video :smile:

Where exactly the port is located once you have it put in.

As you can see from the responses, it varies quite a bit. Some doctors have different preferences. Mine is on the right side, about 1.5 inches up from my bellybutton. I posted photos of the scars on my blog -- check it out if you are interested. They aren't bad at all, and they are fading all of the time b/c I'm using a great product called Epiderm (I think. . I posted it on the blog. . could be off on the name).

Is it visible to others through your skin like a pacemaker is?

Nope! Can't see it at all. You'd have to put your hand on it & press down to feel it. If someone just ran their hands over my skin, I don't think they would feel it.

Does it hurt to get fills?

It's just a quick sting of a little needle. My doctor doesn't use any anesthetic, and it's totally fine. Really not a big deal at all.

How many incisions did your surgeon make?

Just two (Go Dr. Rumbaut! You are a superstar!!)

Once healed are they really noticable?

They are going to look like any other scar. Mine have faded a lot, and the top one is so small that it's not that noticeable. The bottom one is probably going to fade more, but I imagine you'll still be able to see it WHEN I WEAR MY BIKINI (in 30 lbs. .)!

My position is. . . better people see that scar when I wear a bikini than they see what I would have looked like in one before the surgery!! :thumbup:

Honestly, the fills and the scars just are not that big of a deal, compared with how much easier it makes getting healthier and taking off all that extra weight.

Best,

Catherine