Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 20th Surgery Stories...

I wanted to start a thread for us May 20th bandsters, since i know there are a few of us out there. Only 6 days away....how is everyone doing on Pre-Op Dieting? I have slipped a few times, but picked back up and am doing much better. Bad habits are somtimes hard to break. But I am focused..and ready...and getting excited!!!!!:rolleyes:

Went for the pre-op on Wednesday and the final office weigh in this morning. down 8.5 and still have 6 days to go. I am nervous but excited. I am still attending the pre surgery support meetings and go to my last one on Monday. Good luck to all!!

alrighty, here is my story. Sorry it took til today to write...but here it goes.

Tuesday the 19th was my pre-op day. I went in and met the staff and True Results, and met Dr B. He is really a nice guy...he put me at ease. He told me I was going to be the first one to be done the next morning...WOOHOO!!!! He said to go out that night and have a nice big dinner, whatever I wanted...so thats just what we did. (only...i couldnt eat much.) Ever since the pre-op diet started..when I would eat, I could notice that the amt I could eat was cut in about half.

Yesterday my husband and I got up around 415am. We got ready, called my mom, and met her and she followed us to the surgery center. While I was sitting there filling out a bunch of paperwork, we were all cracking jokes a bit. So that made me feel a little better too.

The nurse came to get me around 645am, and had me take a pregnancy test, and put on the robe, socks, and little hat. then I went and got my IV started. my husband and mom were able to come sit with me during that time. We took a couple of pictures (funny ones..I will be sure to upload them soon) and the anesthisiologist came over. He told me he was going to give me something to "take the edge off" since my BP was a little high from nerves. About 10 mins later I felt drunk. :smile: Everything was kinda blurry...and I was probably slurring ..I dont remember.

Next thing I know I was waking up in recovery. There was a nurse guy talking to me, asking if I was ok. I just kinda shook yeah. After a few mins, we got up and walked a bit. The getting up and down was making me feel really sick. My mouth started doing that whole watering thing that it does, right before you vomit...but i just closed my eyes and took deep breaths. I never did. I almost did...but just burped instead. I was given some morphine, and some nausea meds, and walked again. Almost got sick again. So instead of leaving around 11 or 12, i didnt leave til almost 2. People that went in after me were doing awesome....and they got to go home.

Last night sucked pretty bad. I walked around outside a couple of times, and tried to do my breathing thing....but it was hard. Of course they said I need to do it, to prevent pneumonia or a collapsed lung...so I have been trying. Just not doing really great yet. I didnt really have any kind of appetite all day....just a really dry mouth.

I tried laying in bed...worst mistake EVER!!! It hurt so so so bad that i started crying...and when I was crying..it hurt to cry and breath...so it was hurting worse doing that! UGH!!!! so my husband helped me get up and go back to the couch. He slept on the loveseat all night as i SOMEWHAT slept sitting up on the couch. Because of that...my neck and back are really sore today. My chest was hurting a lot yesterday as if gas was in there. my DH went to the store and got me some gas x chewables, and dissolving strips, but i dont know that it is helping. I managed to get about 3 hours of sleep from about345-7 this morning..but thats about all.

This morning, everything still feels really painful. I am going to have to call the dr. because it looks like 2 of my incisions are open. (they were open on the way home yesterday). So i am going to check to see if that is ok. I feel like i need to burp, but when i try..straining those stomache muscles kills me. So i cant ever get anything out.

So today my goal is to sip a lil broth, walk walk walk, breathe on the breathing thing, walk walk walk....try to get some sleep, and walk and breathe some more, ,and see what Dr B has to say about my incisions.

Thats all....will write more later.

Hey Leeann, I had my surgery yesterday also! I was not able to go home the same day however, I got sent home today. Same problem as you though with laying down, WOW, talk about painful! I didn't get a nap in today and am wondering how I'll manage to sleep tonight, may have to sleep in the recliner. Anyway, yeah, you should talk to your doctor about your incisions. Didn't he/she notice them opening yesterday? I wish you the best of luck, and please let us know how it goes for you. I have the burping too, but it doesn't sound like as bad as yours, you poor thing. Hang in there!

Thanks carrie for posting! Last night was a bit easier to sleep. I was having a lot of gas pains in my back so my DH went to the store and got me a heating pad...he also picked up some gatorade so that I wont get dehydrated. I layed down on the couch, with the heating pad on my back...and it felt great. I fell asleep right away. I woke up around 130, took some pain meds...(when i was finally able to get off the couch), and drank some Water.

I think I am getting dehydrated....ive been so scared to over drink , that i havent been drinking much. Today I am going to make sure I get my 8 glasses of Water ...drink my protien shakes all day....and maybe have some sugar free pudding later!

One thing I have noticed is that my legs are cramping. I think that is due to the lack of water intake. I still feel some gas pains in my chest, only not NEARLY as bad as yesterday. Im ALMOST to the point to be able to comfortably burp them out! As gross as that is...but WOOOHOO! My back is pretty stiff still too, probably from sleeping on my stupid couch. Maybe tonight is the night to go back to my BED!

One great thing that came out of this already....my father is overweight, and is a Type II Diabetic. He is fully covered on Medicare, and wants me to get information from my dr about the procedure for him!!! So that will be awesome!!! I am really excited. I hope he gets to have it..I know it will be so good for his health. (Plus, if he does...I wont have to worry about going to his house to eat those big home cooked italian meals!) haha.

Hang in there everyone....it is slowly gonna get better..and we are on our way to great new places!

Hey, Leanne and Carrie, congratulations on becoming Banded Banditos!!! :thumbup: I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable, Leanne. Do you happen to have a Lazboy chair? That might help with your sleeping. If not, prop yourself up in bed with lots and lots of pillows all around, underneath, and behind you. And try to walk as often as you can to prevent the leg cramps and possible blood clots. Each day will get better and better, believe me. I was hospitalized for 36 hours because my pain was so excruciating, and I survived! LOL :lol:

Best of luck to everyone from the 20th! :party:

thanks SpideyMom! Wow...that sounds like no fun! Being hospitalized for 36 hours...eeek! No I dont have a lazy Boy (I WISH I DID THOUGH!!!!!) But I figured out how to sleep semi-comfortably on the couch.

I hit a milestone last night...i SLEPT IN BED!!!!! WOOHOO! the only thing is...i woke up with my back muscles cramping from not moving. lol. go figure. I went to bed at about 11, woke up around 3am...drank some Water and took some pain meds, and went back to sleep...and slept until 8ish. WHEW!

I did make 1 mistake last night, I thought I was ok enough to get in a car. Yeah...anyone reading this who is about to be banded....dont do that! All of the movement made my stomache really sore. But...it was nice to walk at Walmart for a few mins and pick up some more protien powder and fresh fruit for my protien shakes.

Today is Post op Day 3, and I woke up feeling pretty good. Still too scared to try and lift out of bed alone, in fear of tearing something or popping stitches. The leg cramping is not as bad today as it was yesterday. Water water water and more water. And actually my DH got me some gatorade so I have been drinking on that as well to help with the prevention of dehydration.

Not really any hunger to speak of. I have had a few times where I couldnt tell if i was starving and my stomache was hurting from that...or hurting from surgery. So i would drink my protien shake, and that coated it enough to take away the hunger. I am down 6 lbs since pre-op day on tuesday. YAY! I still feel like I have gas in my chest...and I still cant burp yet. I am almost there...lol...but it still hurts those muscles a lil too much to strain them. I know once that chest gas is out..ALOT of that discomfort will be gone.

Im breathing better on the incentives spirometer too. Im hitting between 1500-2000. My goal set by my dr is like 2500..so not quite there. But the first 2 days I was only hitting 1000-1250. So I am doing much better. Are other people having to do this as well?

Hubby says he can tell the difference on some of the weight loss already. I have lost a total of 14 lbs since pre-op diet began. YAYAY!

Hope everyone is alright...still would love to hear from you all!

Thanks spidey mom! And Leanne, that's awesome that you were able to sleep in bed! I tried last night and was comfortable on my back, but I have a pinched nerve that acts up if I lay on my back for too long, it makes my thighs tingle and burn, so that kept me up. I am not able to sleep on my side yet, but am hoping to in the next couple days. Congrats on the weight loss! I haven't weighed myself since the day of surgery, but I will Monday, I just feel really bloated still with the gas, so I want to give it a couple days. I haven't been hungry either. I am going to try some blended Soup today, I've only been having popsicles, Jello, and broth so far. So I'm excited. How does your port site feel by the way? That is what is bothering me most now, when I get up and down. I read on here that some people have port pain for months, I hope that's not the case for me! I am doing the breathing thing as well. My goal is also 2500, I made it to 2000 today so I was excited. It's so nice to see someone else who had surgery the same day. I think we're progressing about the same! Congrats to us both!

I'm one week post-op and I have the port site pain too. It's really the only thing that's bothering me. I never even had the gas pains. I can sleep on my right side, but not my left. Ouch! Can others who have had port site pain please let us know how long it lasted for them.

Hi WIP,

I had port side pain and was finally able to sleep comfortably on both sides at almost two weeks out. I'm still very careful when I turn over though.

Good Luck!

I also had my band surgery on May 20th. The surgery was not bad and I was in and out of the hospital with no problems. I have been real nervous about nausea and want to avoid throwing up at all costs. Thursday night I was miserable! I was so nauseous and the pills and patch were not helping. I am not sure what caused it, the sudden drop in calories, shock to the body, or not enough fluids. I managed to fall asleep without throwing up. I am getting at least an hour of exercise in each day, at least 70 grams of Protein, but am struggling with the Water.

The only thing that makes me feel weird is this feeling in my chest thats like something is stuck or there is a burp caught. Its almost like a spasm somtimes..hard to explain. I am trying up my Fluid intake but cant figure out this chest discomfort. I am trying to hard to not cheat at all. I have been good so far but these Protein shakes are killing me!

I took my banadages off today for the first time and was a little surprised by the number of stiches, something like 24 on 5 incisions. One incision is like a small indent but dont really have any pain. I am getting ready to take my first shower and man do I ever need it!

Carrie: About my port site, (at least what I am guessing is my port site...cuz im not really sure...i was a little morphined out when my surgeon was talking to me) is what I am guessing is hurting from time to time. Its like a stinging sensation every once in a while. especially when I turn the wrong way..or stretch too much. You mentioned you have had broth ...popsicles...and Jello. I have figured out that 4 oz of skim milk, 1 scoop of vanilla soy Protein powder, and a few shakes of cinammon makes a pretty good Protein shake. It curbs the hunger, and gives you the Protein your body needs to recover (and helps prevent that hair loss!!!!)

WIP: glad to see you can sleep comfortably on one side at least...man i am SOOOO not a back sleeper...I have a pretty expensive king koil pillowtop, and it might as well be a straight piece of plywood. It is so uncomfy for so many hours...I am looking forward to turning! I tried last night...and nope...wasnt happening.

Wsully:Sorry to hear about that sickness. That is no good. That is awesome though, that you are getting so much protein in. My intake is supposed to be between 40g-60g...and i seem to struggle with that...how are you taking in so much??? Remember liquids will not really fill up your pouch...(according to my surgeon) they will go right through. So i was told i could have as much Water, broth etc that I wanted...I didnt drink much Water for the first couple days, BIG MISTAKE! I started getting dehydrated, and having leg cramps and muscle cramps. I have been drinking more water, and actually drinking on my favorite gatorade as well...to help prevent dehydration. And about that shower....its a great feeling! I was able to shower the next day, but just to stand in that hot water is so relaxing!

How is everyone doing taking chewable Vitamins?

The shower was great! I don't know what the deal is with the Water. I have worked up to almost 3 bottle waters in each day. They fill me so quickly and cause serious gas pain. I can burp after every sip of Water and I mean tiny sips!

I am drinking 3 Protein drinks each days. Of course it takes up to an hour to drink one... I am using skin milk, whey Protein supplement, and protein ice cubes so the protein adds up quickly. I have tried adding protein to the both but it just has a foul aftertaste. The other thing that drives me nuts is that the protein shakes foam after blending. That foam causes extra gas and feels like my chest is going to explode!

I am finding it not so bad walking my 60 minutes each day and it has helped to walk to a place each day. I have a few grocery stores and drug stores close by so it helps knowing I have a specific place to go rather than the same few old boring neighborhood blocks!

I am a little weaker than normal but that has to do with my water intake and calories. It is so hard to get in more than 600-800 calories on this approved list. I am losing a little more than a pound a day and that can't be good, right? today is day 4 after surgery and I am down 8 pounds from my surgery weigh in.

BTW...the chewable Vitamins, SUCK! I hate that dag on orange flavor...I tried to find another flavor but no luck. Might have to switch to liquid or chopping up pills long term.

Wsully: Try the Flintstones chewables, they're 100% better tasting than those big orange chewables.

I've found a pretty good addition to my chocolate Protein Shakes. Add one small container of vanilla Activa yogurt. It tastes great and it helps keep things moving too :lol: