Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I still be hungary and why do people regain their weight

Hi I am considering lap band surgery but I have a few questions.

My problem is I am always starving so I am wondering does it stop the hunger?

If you have to change you're eating habits why not just do that without paying $$$$ for the surgery?

What if I cannot change my eating habits which so far I have not been able to do?

What do I do with all my loose flab I am 59 yrs old is that too old for the surgery?

In British Columbia how do you get medical to cover the cost of the sugery?

I mean 35 days of liquids now thats harsh and impossible for me do you really have to do that and why?

Help I am tired of being hungary its expensive!

Hey, in a simple answer, it wont change your eating habits. yes you wil feel fuller for longer on smaller amounts but it wont stop behavioural eating sorry :cool2: I was banded 3 months ago and you still have to watch what you put into your mouth, you cant rely on band to tell u to stop u have to stop when your full :laugh: When you say you are always starving do you mean you always want food or your tummy grumbles?? Lots of questions sorry! but know how u feel its a big decision, one i wouldnt change!

Some answers to your questions

Does banding stop your hunger? No it does not stop you from getting hungry, it does however make you get fuller faster on less food.

Why not just change your eating habits and save the $$? For me the lap band was a tool that enabled me to change the quantity that i eat and therefore changed my eating habits.

What if i can not change my eating habits? Well chances are if you can not change your eating habits you would not have great success, would you lose some weight...probably so but without changing eating habits long term success would be doubtfull.

59 years old is not to old for lapband surgery. About the flab, you either exercise in hopes of avoiding it, cover it up with your new stunning smaller clothing, or get plastic surgery.

You would have to do your research on what your individual medical coverage would allow.

Every doctor has a set of pre-op rules and liquid diets differ from doctor to doctor, and yes you have to follow the diet if you are prescribed one.

Tired of being hungry because its expensive? Having surgery is expensive also, medical expenses from obesity related issues are expensive also.

My biggest issue was Portion Control, and eating too many carbs.

Now I eat less, but I have to choose the right foods or I will just eat more often.

You must stop yourself from eating more when you are not hungry versus when you feel "full". If you can't do that now, then lapband won't be as successful for you.

Carbs are still a problem for me, but nothing like they used to be....I now seek to balance carbs with Protein. If I go lower on carbs, I could lose faster, but my attitude is not worth it.

Losing weight is HARD WORK no matter how you go about doing it. The band is only a TOOL to help you get your eating under control. It will still be up to you to make wise food choices.

You asked will I still be hungry...the truth, yes until you get restriction you will be hunger, but that is only temporary.

Why do some people gain the weight back....because they either didn't or quit following the band rules, there are ways to eat around your band. My best friend is a food addict who was banded 5yrs ago. She lost her weight, but now knows the band wasn't the best choice for her. She can't eat until she's full, she wants to eat until it's all gone. For most of us eating too much will cause us to be sick, she knows how to push the food thru her pouch to eat the food she wants (not because she's hungry but just because she wants it).

Your success is in your hands. If you are willing to make a lifestlye change then the band can help you to a healthier place. If you are looking for an easy fix that will allow you to continue making unhealthy choices and "melt the weight away" you will be very dissappointed.

If you think this may be the right choice for you then the first step is to contact your insurance company to learn what if any WLS benifits they may have.

Good luck to you in your discision making process, and I hope you find the solution to your health issues be it the band or something else.

~Monica