Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose Flabby Skin On Arms After W.L.?

Okay I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem after weight loss surgery with that loose skin that waddles back and forth every time you wave at someone. I figure I notice it now so how bad is it going to be after a significant weight loss? I don't want to look like I can take to flight at any moment by just spreading my arms! LOL! Any suggestions on how to avoid it?

Edited by Divis

Oh yeah, the dreaded batwings. I am at goal and mine are pretty bad. So are my upper thighs and my midsection. They bother me enough that I won't wear sleeves shorter than a few inches above my elbows which is proving nearly impossible with the style being extra short sleeve and sleeveless.

I have kept my skin slathered in a good quality lotion since getting banded. Can't say for sure if it helped any. I will say that my saggy skin has improved since I started working out in January, some muscle tone makes them look better-so upper arm exercises do help. I am going to give it a year as my surgeon suggested but I have a feeling that I will need some plastic surgery if I want to get rid of it completely. But who knows, you are 9 years younger than me so maybe your skin will snap back a little better than mine.

And I'm even older yet, I was just talking about this on another thread. I reached for the phone at work the other day and it looked like I could take flight at any moment, That was the first time I noticed it. like Jodi I have the inner thigh issues We'll just refer to them as Elephant ears. Also the more weight I loose the older my face seems to look but I think that's more the older group. When younger people loose their faces seem to look younger. Oh well, haven't decided what I'm gonna do about the skin, I've already had aTT about 3yrs before the band and a lift and a BA that I'm still recovering from now. After the last surgery I told my DH it would be the last but I don't know. It just bites because I've been self pay for all of it band included. Anyway good luck

OH! and Jodi, CONGRATS on reaching your goal and so soon.

My arms swing to and fro like the mud flaps on a pick-up.... disgusting. I can handle the belly flab and the upper thigh jiggle, but I can't handle the arms. I can cover the other areas, but in south Texas it gets to damn hot to wear sleeves. My face started sagging overnight as well. It's quite shocking to look in the mirror and look so much older. Nicer...... but older. It didn't happen gradually for me to "get used" to the idea. Exercise has helped a little. I still have about 38 pounds to go, so I won't do anything until a year past my reaching goal. My surgeon told me that your skin will continue to firm up for a year afterward, and to wait until then, so you can see what you're left with. At almost age 50, I doubt it will improve much.

Hello to All!

I'm down to crunch time as my banding will take place in Lincoln, NE on May 18th. I'm very excited! And starting to get a little nervous. I've entered the "Slim Fast" phase, and I'm just trying to get through that. Thanks for all the support this site has given me!

LOL (mud flaps) Now that's funny!

I haven't lost much weight, but I have noticed my arms showing some signs of flabbiness and want to nip it in the butt...what kind of exercises do you guys think might be helpful? ;) I was wondering if doing some arm raises w/ 5lbs weights could be helpful...I know it's a pretty conservative approach, but I already have some. :unsure: Unfortunately, I don't have a gym membership yet--of course, I know I should get one, but since I'm not in the best shape, I think it might be wise to wait until I've lost a bit more.