Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Know I Am Not the only one.....

to ever get this far, and then have second thoughts. I've done my seminar, first doc's visit, seen the nutruitionist (love the Protein shakes). My doc said I had to lose 10 percent of my body weight, which for me is 33 pounds. By the end of the first 3 1/2 weeks, I've lost 21 pounds. I've never been on a high protein diet before, and I seem to be thriving on it. I'm not hungry, and, so far, no uncontrollable cravings. I'm so confused. I had myself prepared and ready to have this surgery, and now I find myself wanting to back out and keep on dieting. I didn't know that he would put me on a diet like this. I only knew about the very strict diet I would be on, a couple of weeks before the surgery. The office will be getting me qualified with my insurance after I go in, in another month. I only need to lose 9 more pounds. I don't have much time to change my mind if I really don't want to do this. Any thoughts or opinion--no matter what they are--would be appreciated.:(

You have to do what's right for you. I don't doubt that everyone has had second thoughts at one point or another. You just have to remember that even if you choose not to do the surgery now and continue on your diet, you can always go back to the lap band. However, doing the lapband without the diet isn't as easy when trying to go back. good luck!

Sky,

A few years ago I lost a lot of weight on Atkins (also high protein/low carb) and thought it was the best diet in the world and the weight flew off. I thought, man I could do this the rest of my life. The problem is, you can’t (or at least I couldn’t). The carbs started sneaking back in, and when they did the weight came right back. The difference for me now that I am banded is that I can stop with small portions. I eat a very high Protein diet, but I am able to have carbs too – I just am not able to eat that much because the band stops me. I find that I can eat most foods, but in much smaller portions. I am learning what is harder to get down and to chew a lot and eat slowly. But it doesn’t feel like a diet and I never really feel hungry. The hardest part is portioning my meal before I eat. I take what I think would be a normal sized portion and can only get down about ½ the food before feeling stuffed.

Thank you Savannah, for the advice and support, and KartMan, you make a very good point. It is keeping the weight off that is the hardest part of all this, and it is impossible to really "diet" the rest of my life. You made me think of a time when I was much younger, and I lost over 100 pounds by taking diet pills. I went to a doctor, and it was all very well supervised. I thought I'd never gain it back, but I did. Thanks for taking time to answer my post.

You're not the only one :( I myself have only my first consult and nutritionist scheduled and I am already having' doubts. I've lost about 21 lbs on working out and rearranging my diet. I, too, am wondering on if I can do this 'on my own', without the band.

However, I agree with some of the others, too. Though I've never lost a considerable amount of weight (over 20lbs) before, it's so true that keeping it off is the hardest part, and no one can 'diet' forever. Can I keep working out every day, forever? Can I maintain the food schedule I'm on now, forever? Probably not.

I'm excited to continue this journey. I wish you the best of luck with yours!

I have not been banded yet, but I couldn't resist sharing my thoughts. Diets are great, when followed to help us lose weight. The problem with getting on a diet is eventually you get off of it too.

I probably will end up with second thoughts as well. But I can honestly say I excited for the day that I can eat without feeling guilty if I make a bad food choice. Even happier for being able to eat say half a donut instead of the whole dozen (I have never really done that, but you get the point.) I guess what I am saying, is I want to control the food I eat, not the food control me....

That being said, this is a very personal choice. But I would say you shouldn't move forward to surgery without being 100% sure this is what you want...

Lori

Hi,

can you tell me what shakes they put you on? i went to the first part and thought i would try it on my own first.

But just wondering what shakes they have you on and where can you get them?

thanks