Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - I don't have a date scheduled. I am still in the very begining stages of this journey, I only decided about 2 weeks

ago to talk to my doctor about this procedure.She thinks

it's the right thing for me to do, since I have been struggling with my weight for many,many years.. Anyway I have been reading a little on this site and am happy to see all the success people have had with this surgery.. I am scheduled to go for a seminar on this surgery on 5/12.. I really hope I

am doing the right thing- :biggrin:

You're taking the right steps to make this happen. Be patient with the process. Be patient with yourself. And remember, you are getting a tool. You need to educate yourself on how to use that tool. Read a lot here on what to expect before and after surgery. At the same time, understand that everyone's journey is different. In time, you will find yourself the expert and will be dolling out advise to others who are embarking on making that "Big Decision." May God bless you as you continue to make these baby steps.

Hi!! We're in the same boat... I just made the decision to look into lap band surgery a couple of weeks ago. I stumbled upon this site and I love all the information here! I go to my seminar this coming Sunday and the doctor's office said that if my inusurance goes well I could have my surgery in a month! My MAIN concern is vomiting! I don't think there is a word or a smiley that can describe how much I HATE to vomit and it sounds like that is a part of lap band life until I get used to eating differently. :biggrin:

Hi Happyme2009,

I know.. :)

I feel the same way about the vomitting.. Yikes!! I am also nervous about the fact that I am so short- 5'1" and am 300lbs. I'm not sure if they will even be able to do the surgery laparoscopically.. Anyone I know who has had this

procedure with this much weight was over 5' 4" .. I really

don't want to be cut and out of work for more than a week..

Anyway , Good luck to you and I hope I can make a decision soon. :biggrin:

Happy, if it's any help, I've NEVER vomited or come even close. Only 1 PB, which is nothing like vomiting and it was entirely my fault for eating too fast and not chewing my food well enough.

I am 5' 2" and was 271lbs the day of surgery...

I had surgery on Weds and was back to work on the following Monday. You can barely even see any scars on my stomach... it's almost like it never happened.

Vomiting... It's not vomiting as you know it... and it doesn't have to happen.

Imagine taking a hose and putting a band around it and trying to stuff a golf ball through it... is it going to fit? nope it's gotta come back up.

I say it's not vomiting because it never goes in the stomach... atleast for me. It sits on top of the band and if this happens all I really do is bend over and the pressure causes it to come right back up. My stomach doesn't spasm or contract like it would if I vomited or anything. That's graphic but that's how it works for me and has only happened a couple times.

I don't have 1 single problem with it if I slow down when I eat, take small bites, and chew it up well.... and the big one STOP when you're full.

This band is the best thing I ever did and if there was a job out there where I could just travel around telling people how wonderful it was I would be doing it.

Hi Happyme2009,

I know.. :frown:

I feel the same way about the vomitting.. Yikes!! I am also nervous about the fact that I am so short- 5'1" and am 300lbs. I'm not sure if they will even be able to do the surgery laparoscopically.. Anyone I know who has had this

procedure with this much weight was over 5' 4" .. I really

don't want to be cut and out of work for more than a week..

Anyway , Good luck to you and I hope I can make a decision soon. :smile2:

Thank you and Good Luck to you too! I am 5'9" and 243 lbs, so the doctor said my BMI is borderline. I hope that insurance approval doesn't get in my way... *crossing fingers*

Happy, if it's any help, I've NEVER vomited or come even close. Only 1 PB, which is nothing like vomiting and it was entirely my fault for eating too fast and not chewing my food well enough.

Whew.... that does help! I had assumed that tossing my Cookies was going to be a daily occurrence until I got my tool figured out. It's good to know that it doesn't have to be. Question: what is PB? :biggrin:

I am 5' 2" and was 271lbs the day of surgery...

I had surgery on Weds and was back to work on the following Monday. You can barely even see any scars on my stomach... it's almost like it never happened.

Vomiting... It's not vomiting as you know it... and it doesn't have to happen.

Imagine taking a hose and putting a band around it and trying to stuff a golf ball through it... is it going to fit? nope it's gotta come back up.

I say it's not vomiting because it never goes in the stomach... atleast for me. It sits on top of the band and if this happens all I really do is bend over and the pressure causes it to come right back up. My stomach doesn't spasm or contract like it would if I vomited or anything. That's graphic but that's how it works for me and has only happened a couple times.

I don't have 1 single problem with it if I slow down when I eat, take small bites, and chew it up well.... and the big one STOP when you're full.

This band is the best thing I ever did and if there was a job out there where I could just travel around telling people how wonderful it was I would be doing it.

THANK YOU for the information! I love this site and everyone 9so far) is so willing to share! :)

Thanks Brandy,

You are definitely the shortest person that I have heard about having this procedure..Cool- So they were able to do it through laparoscopic surgery??

Thanks for clearing up the vomit thing - I was of course thinking the worst!!

Yeah I had it Laprascopic. The whole surgery took about 30 minutes. He said it wasnt a problem at all.

They will probably require the preop diet though so the liver shrinks up and gives more room to access the stomach... plus that reduces the fatty liver issues.

Thanks KC. If I can do it really anyone can.

I am on a plateau right now but I have my first fill in 7 months scheduled for 5/13. I am hoping that will get me to my goal weight.

I have a goal of 160 right now and I am currently 181 and wear a 12. Once I get to 160 I will decide if I am going to keep going.

I cant believe that 1 year ago I was 271 and could barely go up a flight of stairs without losing my breath. It's a total wake up call once those pounds start coming off.

Brandy, I know- 1 year that's crazy!!!

You go girl and if it helps at all , you have inspired me.. J

Happy, a PB (Productive Burp) is what happens when you take bites that are too big and/or don't chew a bite as much as you should. I was guilty of practically inhaling some food because it had been 7 hours since I'd eaten last. You swallow and it feels like some giant wad is stuck in your esophagus. Then you start producing a lot of saliva (called "sliming" by most bandsters), and that is to pave the way for the stuck food to come back up easily. Then you don't really burp and you certainly don't heave like when you vomit ... the piece of food comes up hard and fast. On one forum, a guy thought he'd had projectile vomiting. BUT there is no stomach acid since the food never made it into your stomach, it is completely undigested food that you just swallowed and for most people who experience it, they can rest for a few minutes and then continue with their meal. It took me about 20 to feel comfortable/safe to swallow anything else. But it's not vomiting. And if you do vomit, it is either a virus, food poisoning OR something's wrong.