Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to start exercising???

I was banded on 3-3-09 And I've lost about 11lbs since then. Good but not great. My surgeon is happy but Im not I can't seem to get into Exercising at all. I Went for a week straight and I just HATE doing it. I actually yawn during it:confused: what is that about ya know. It makes me so tired and lazy. So i just stopped after a week. I hear people say they have so much energy after they work out...Im like wth am I doing something wrong?? I would go for 30 min everyday I'd do the bike with an incline which made me sweat and i kept my heart rate up to 150 160, for 15min then I'd go down to the weight room and life weights and work my arms. Idk My energy level is just Not there!!!! Any advice about how you got started would be great!!!!

Thanks

Ashley, you made me laugh about yawning because I yawn constantly while on my Treadmill!!! I, too, hate exercise, but I stick to the TM so I can eat a little more and still lose. The experts say find something you like to do. I can't find any exercise I like to do and hate sweating.....so I hired a personal trainer for a few weeks. The companionship is wonderful and might be the key. Can you find a work out buddy?

Mimi

I think a treadmill is pretty darned boring, so that's probably part of the yawning, :laugh:. Try walking outside. Have a dog? A child? Then you have an even better excuse to walk outside. You don't have to start big. Walk a mile. Build up. If you don't like walking the streets in your neighborhood (no sidewalks, afraid of getting run over), go to the nearest school. Most of them have a 1/4 outdoor track. And I'll bet you will start to recognize faces there after a couple of visits. You might be able to hook up with another walker or two to have walking buddies, which will make it more fun, someone to talk to.

I agree with all the above. The key will be to find something you enjoy. There are many options, walking, home video, take a dance class, take any class, learn something you've always wanted to. Sometimes doing things in a group is more fun if you find the solo activities boring.

The energy doesnt come till later, when you're fit. At first it does exhaust you. Its hard to get through.

I dont really know what to tell you except stick at it. It took me six months of solid work to really begin to like it and now I really and truly love to exercise.

Hey ashley, have you had a fill yet?

Yes i had my first Fill last Thursday! I was so afraid it was gonna hurt but there were no problems just a little sting! I Think ima start walking outside..my son is in love with bring outside he's almost 3 so I think that would be a good idea! And then do laps at the indoor pool for a while. I can not see myself ever LOVING to Exercise but we will see

thanks everyone

I was banded on 3-3-09 And I've lost about 11lbs since then. Good but not great. My surgeon is happy but Im not I can't seem to get into Exercising at all. I Went for a week straight and I just HATE doing it. I actually yawn during it:confused: what is that about ya know. It makes me so tired and lazy. So i just stopped after a week. I hear people say they have so much energy after they work out...Im like wth am I doing something wrong?? I would go for 30 min everyday I'd do the bike with an incline which made me sweat and i kept my heart rate up to 150 160, for 15min then I'd go down to the weight room and life weights and work my arms. Idk My energy level is just Not there!!!! Any advice about how you got started would be great!!!!

Thanks

Do you have the Wii Fit? If not, ask for it as a gift from someone! It takes the work out of exercise.

ashley,

I too get exhausted when I exercise, i need a nap after sometimes! im so glad to know that it takes a while before you start getting energy from it, i too thought i was doing something wrong lol. i'll be interrested to follow this thread to see what others have to say. I haven't been cleared for vigerous exercise yet, so for now I'll stick to walking!

good luck

amy

Fresh air helps for me but so does a radio. I found a talk show I like to listen to and I walk while listening ( morning radio show). It is a really easy distraction. I think it takes something like 14 days to establish a new habit- just gotta do it- no way around it. I was just banded and am getting ready to get in gear. Gonna get up before my two children and walk and listen to the radio and gradually increase my time. Good luck to you!

In the book "Expert guide to wls" Dr Davis suggests starting with 10 Min's of exercise 3-4 days a week. Then increase a little every day till you can do 30 Min's a day. It can be walking, Wii fit or something else you might like.

Good luck.

I have to look at exercising as not a task but an event that will help me get to my goal. I started out by walking outside then I began to go to the gym and do the treadmill. First I started reading while on the treadmill and the goal was to read a chapter and then increase my speed and I usually would get through 2 chapters. My PCP suggested I play basketball or tennis, etc. He stated that I would not even realize after a game that I have exercised for 45 min-1 hour. And I tried it and he was right I played basketball after running after the ball, guarding, dribbling, shooting I found out a couple of things. 1. I actually can run at 296 lbs., 2. I like playing basketball, 3. I can beat my daughter in basketball, and 4. I built up my energy and indurance level. I also walked outside and stopped and did some type of exercise along the trail. The treadmill now I do two things either talk on the phone, listen to books on my ipod, or watch tv. You have to make it interesting to you. I have a host of kids:party:(5,11,16,19). So I make it a challenge and bring all of them in my world to make it interesting. I play bball against my 19yr old (dtr). Dance against my 5 (son),11(dtr) yr olds). And have a challenge to beat my 16 son (a football player) in a 40 yrd race by fall. This is how I make exercising fun. Because like you it was not. Good Luck in finding your exercise sweet spot:thumbup:

Also, I try to do a few really vigorous sessions a week and a few easier ones. If I'm just doing a nice steady pace run, I can go in the morning before I start my day and get it out of the way - it wakes me up, energises me and puts me on a high.

However, if I'm going to do an interval session which usually results in a pounding beet red face, a heart rate of about 190 and real exhaustion, I plan that for late afternoon. I simply dont make it through my day very well if I've worked that hard, so I do it when I can relax after! I get the true runners high from this, a real feeling of euphoria but by about 3 pm I feel like I'm walking through waist deep Water I'm so tired.

When I worked out at a gym in 2004 I used to listen to audiobooks while on the bike and treadmill, got me thinking of the book and not what I was doing - definitely made me go further than I intended w/o feeling it.

I found that swimming worked for me - 30 min of swimming was about 7 laps of breast stroke and 7 of back stroke - it's an amazing feeling to be where there's no gravity, so no pounding on the joints but a great workout. And a great hot shower to reward you afterwards. I need to find something to do in the days inbetween though softball practice started (I coach though so not a lot of exercise there).

The other day I surprised myself by being able to walk around the campus (I work for a University) unexpectedly without huffing and puffing like I expected, so something's happening right.

Go for it!

Ashley, I too also hate exercising. We have a treadmill at home and my Dad walks around 50 minutes on it everyday. It's so difficult for me to make the commitment working on it for 45 min everyday. I try to get everyone in the family to walking outside with me on the weekend. My co-worker organized power walk which is supposed to happen everyday. Well it never does on daily basis due the bad weather, work load, period time etc. We are lucky to have the walk twice a week. As the weather is getting warmer and warmer, I don't feel walking outside in the sun at noon (we usually go out walk at around 1:30 PM) is such a brilliant idea.

Edited by EmmaWang